Newcastle United: The Way Forward

OTF

I think we're at a critical cross-roads currently. We have a squad that is horribly balanced, with some players of exceptional quality, and many players who are passed it (or just never will be). We have an owner with questionable interests, and a manager with questionable talent and credentials. Then we have Dennis Wise, of questionable character, intelligence, morals, sexuality and effectiveness.

Though it's not all bad. I honestly don't think our squad is that far off being competitive with teams that will be challenging for the top 6/8. So with that in mind I think that should be a very reasonable target for us to achieve as soon as next season if things are properly handled in the meantime. Key: This would involve a decent amount of funds available to us in the current transfer window in order to provide us with cover in key areas, and strengthen us in other areas.

Namely we need to bring in cover for both fullback positions. A single player who is comfortable playing on either side may be sufficient, though a left and right fullback are preferable. Unlike many I have a good deal of confidence in Enrique's defensive abilities, so I don't think he needs to be replaced. Likewise I think Beye is an excellent fullback, so won't need to be moved out of the first team squad (obviously when fit). An investment of 5 or so million pounds may be sufficient to provide this cover, if we're looking at two player that may need to raise to 8-10 million depending on the resourcefulness of our scouting team.

More importantly we need to spend on our central midfield. Butt has been woeful of late, and definately needs a rest. Guthrie is half decent, and if we bought someone good to play alongside him I think we could see them forge a partnership that will help Guthrie improve. Barton is still in the picture, and will have an important role to play when he returns. I think an investment of around 10 million is required here.

They're the key positions that I feel we need to strengthen. After these 2-3 player I think we then need to look at bringing in even more midfielders. If we're keeping N'Zogbia then I'm realitively happy with our left side. Duff is playing well of late, and Jonas is more than comfortable on the left. So we'd really only need to bring in a right sided midfielder. Preferbly one with pace, and sufficient conditioning to get back to help out in defense when required. A big defensive midfielder in the vein of Papa Bouba Diop could be the go here. He could well be a possibility given Portsmouth's financial instability coupled with the fact that he has not been a permanent inclusion in their team. With this sort of investment I feel we'd be able to safely negotiate our way out of relegation troubles.

Then comes the summer where we would again be active in the market. Stocks could then be taken of players who are no longer required from the current squad. Certainly the end of Viduka's contract (and Owen's) and the possibility of offloading Alan Smith and Geremi would free up considerable wages. This void could be used to increase the quality of our squad. Investment required here would be in the 20-40 million pounds range for a net spend (including any potential return on outgoing players). It's highly likely that Michael Owen will leave in the summer, so he will need to be replaced. This is not necessarily such a bad thing, as I never felt that Owen and Martins would make a good partnership (given that they're our two highest profile strikers it would be good for them to be compatible).

These are the players that I feel could have a key part to play next season (in no particular order):

Shay Given,

Obafemi Martins,

Jonas Gutierrez,

Habib Beye,

Sebastian Bassong,

Fabricio Coloccini,

Damien Duff,

Jose Enrique,

Charles N'Zogbia.

The remainder of the squad are in some ways expendable. I do feel that we should certainly seek to have Steve Harper sign a new contract. In addition I feel that we're better off giving Ameobi a new contract as well, as we'd have to spend money where it's not really required in order to bring in a player better than him. He is at least very loyal. I'm sure Nicky Butt will sign with us again, as I don't think anyone else would be that interested in offering him a contract. Certainly not a club the size of Newcastle. They will be squad players, that should only see considerable time on the field should there be an injury crisis (and there invariably is at Newcastle).

With that sort of investment we rightfully should be able to challenge for a UEFA Cup position. I do however feel that we would also need to replace Joe Kinnear at the end of the season with a manager more in touch with modern tactics and the player market.

Thoughts?

I'm most likely being far too optimistic and not thinking about all of the externally influencing factors - like the quality of the squads and managers that we would be competing with for these places, as well as our ability to sign quality players while we hav ethe likes of Joe Kinnear managing us.

It could very easily go in a vastly different diffection from this junction, all it takes is a few players leaving.

I'm most likely being far too optimistic and not thinking about all of the externally influencing factors

I think so, whilst it's possible that the January transfer window could go really well and so could next summer, I suspect the opposite will be the case.

We could be rolling into next season with more than 1/2 of our current squad gone and replaced (without increasing over all squad numbers - which we desperately need) by Championship and SPL quality players. :(

To get this straight, I'm not for one second suggesting that all of this will actually happen. I have close to no faith in:

- A recruitment team that buys a player for upward of 5 million pounds, gives them roughly 90 minutes of game time then decides that they need to be sold less than six months later.

- A manager with minimal tactical nous, who spouts nonsense to the press.

- An owner who constantly contradicts himself.

Nonetheless I feel that if the steps I mentioned were there or there-abouts taken we could have the club on the up for the next two years, then who knows from there.

What happens in this window will give us the clearest indication of our short-term future, because as we all know it would be foolish to trust anything that any of these clowns have to say.

OzToonFan...You've hit the nail on the head mate, i read and agreed with pretty much everything you wrote. Though i dont think it is likely, that is the measures needed to drag OUR club out of the shit.

I think your assesment of the squad and which players should stay and go are pretty accurate.

In my opnion NO-ONE should leave in january as we need as many numbers as possible to help retain our premiership status, that being said it does look likely that N'Zogbia will be going should an offer of around 12-15mil is made.

Shay Given on the other hand is a worrying situation, he is the "calming" figure in our side and if we lost him i could well see it all going tits up. I think it is even more imperative that he stays that owen staying.

Like you said, owen leaving, is not the end of the world. Id quite like to see us go in for ashton if and when he does leave as i think ashton and martins would work very well.

Also as you stated, come february we will know what state we will be in, and i hope to god that no-one has left and we have gone out and got at least a CM but preferably alongside a RB and a LB.

A second CM and RM can wait until the summer.

I think a midfield of N'Zogbia / Duff --- Guthrie --- Barton --- Gutierrez is sufficient of a side in the top 6. Butt as a back up alongside someone like bullard or Skjelbred, the later offering cover for the right too.

As far as LB is concerned, id be willing to let Jose Enrique continue in the side as he has been showing a little promise of late, but this would not stop me going for the likes of a baines or a warnock.

RB is an issue, a massive issue as we can see now with beye out injured and relying on taylor or edgar to play there. Not having sufficent cover unbalances the back line and we cant afford to do that in the back end of the season. The problem is, there is a serious lack of decent RB's out there, never mind ones who would come here!

So on the whole i agree with your point that only a few GOOD signings is what we need in january, and then we can take stock of the situation come the end of may when id fully expect the likes of geremi, cacapa, smith and xisco to be sold and replaced.

The figures needed spent are probably accurate to but extremely unlikely under MA. The ebst we can hope for i think is 10mil and a few loans in january and if MA sells up in the summer then and only then can we expect a sum of around 40mil being spent. Even then thats not a gimme given the current finacial climate.

I think a midfield of N'Zogbia / Duff --- Guthrie --- Barton --- Gutierrez is sufficient of a side in the top 6.

nope.

nowhere near good enough.

on their day all are good palyers but none good enough to propel us into the top 6. zog can't deliver the goods consistently and wants to go to arsenal. duff is slowing down. guthrie is good at fetch and carry and can use the ball well but isn't top class. bartons got a fair bit about him but again isn't top drawer. gutierrez is very good at what he does but rely's on decent movement from our forwards. that isn't always forthcoming....

unfortunatley for me i don't have the answer as i don't know who our targets are.

I think a midfield of N'Zogbia / Duff --- Guthrie --- Barton --- Gutierrez is sufficient of a side in the top 6.

nope.

nowhere near good enough.

on their day all are good palyers but none good enough to propel us into the top 6. zog can't deliver the goods consistently and wants to go to arsenal. duff is slowing down. guthrie is good at fetch and carry and can use the ball well but isn't top class. bartons got a fair bit about him but again isn't top drawer. gutierrez is very good at what he does but rely's on decent movement from our forwards. that isn't always forthcoming....

unfortunatley for me i don't have the answer as i don't know who our targets are.

None of them are top quality...correct...but are we a top quality side? No. Is any side in top 6 top quality? No.

I agree with you about duff for sure, and to some extent with charlie but he has pace and is direct, he is a different type of winger. As for barton and guthrie i truely think it would work well, barton sitting in the whole pulling strings and getting a few attempts on goal and guthrie being the more industrious, chasing, harrying and using the ball well.

I dont think we've seen anything near the best of gutierrez yet, once in a stable side who attacks more than defends he will blossom.

If what i said could happen id be very happy with this side next season.

Given

Beye --- Coloccini --- Bassong --- Baines

Gutierrez --- Barton --- Guthrie --- N'Zogbia

Ashton --- Martins

Subs: Krul, RB, Taylor, Enrique, Duff, Skjelbred, FWD

Backup: Soderberg, Edgar, Kadar, Tozer, Butt, Lua-Lua, Ameobi

Obviously it would be better for us if Harps signed another contract but i think he will want 1st team football to end his career. And all of the above is assuming that owen leaves along with cacapa, geremi, smith, gonzalez, xisco and viduka. And id imagine we'd replace those with 3 other squad players.

I agree with the starting line up abovee.. and feel that joey abrton iss one of newcastles key players and we need to keep him at any costs..

hess thee playmaker.. and the tough stuff in the midfield.

and as a personal comment.. enough first team football and by a few hours he'll be makingg a better name for himself that he has and will be up there with the frank andd stevie g.

.. i really dont have a clue where newcastlke will be in 5 years or so..

I never understood why anyone wants Ashton, he's ok like but

being english would cost a ton and is stupidly injury prone

He's only played 8 games more than Viduka this season and last which speaks volumes.