Racism in football

Toonraider

I play football with a lad who's black. He's bling and I've called him it to his face. The reason is because he is bling and it isn't offensive, to me or him. It's a bit of a joke obviously but he would be the first to admit he's bling. The lasses love him so I doubt if he gives a shit about me ribbing him for it.

49339[/snapback]

alex. do me a favour. away from your very interesting story...(did you call him "bling" or say "bling bastard who i hope dies?")

why have people failed to describe the very 'bling' Craig Bellamy 'a bling bastard'

shame that there are so few people who can see the obvious difference

White man - 'bling'

Black man - 'bling bastard who I hope dies'

No difference?

Youre playing the Side light Alex

Edited by bez

I have said what I think. The vast majority are decent. Others use the terms 'bling bastard' in 'mild' racist ways (personally i see nothing mild about it but that is term a friend used). Its inference is there simply because they would call others it if it wasnt the case. For instance Craig Bellamy, as you state.

Its getting better but we are a long way from utopia.

I still fail to see why people seem to feel the need to use a word couched in black culture to describe black players.

But never the white ones?

See what I mean?

49326[/snapback]

I see what you mean, I just think it's unimportant. I value freedom of speech above the tight lipped fear of breaking political correctness. We all have differences and we have always ridiculed those differences amongst each other. Whether it's for being ginger, lanky, fat, bald, short, black, indian, Pakistani, white, Irish, Geordie, Mackem etc etc. People take the piss out of each other and I wouldn't want it any other way.

What IS important is moving the hatred involved with racism toward the jovial banter involved in ripping the crap out of me for being lanky. Being lanky has no detrimental affect on my life other than people take the piss out of me. Being black incurs far more prejudice than inconsequential name calling.

I don't think 'bling' is racist. If anyone else does, then it is. I'm not going to stop saying it though. I have the right to say what I want. I don't have the right to refuse someone a job on the basis of their colour or beat the shit out of them for it. It's that level of racism that needs to be tackled.

49332[/snapback]

I have no problem with the word 'bling' in its basic meaning.

I do have a problem with 'bling bastard' in its vitriolic and selective use.

Very, very different

As for your last comment. Agreed, although it depends whether your belief is to tackle the big problem head on which hasnt worked or educate people regarding the smaller issues.

49337[/snapback]

I long for the day when I can call a player a black bastard without fear of a ban. Then you'll know we've gotten somewhere. Every game I hear "Lanky Bastard", "Aussie Bastard", "Fat Bastard", "Baldy twat" etc and no-one finds them offensive. Why is Black Bastard or Bling Bastard more offensive? Is it because the idea in the heads of the PC brigade is that it's bad to be black? Well it's not. It's just that racist people think it is and discriminate as a result.

I play football with a lad who's black. He's bling and I've called him it to his face. The reason is because he is bling and it isn't offensive, to me or him. It's a bit of a joke obviously but he would be the first to admit he's bling. The lasses love him so I doubt if he gives a shit about me ribbing him for it.

49339[/snapback]

alex. do me a favour. away from your very interesting story...(did you call him "bling" or say "bling bastard who i hope dies?")

why have people failed to describe the very 'bling' Craig Bellamy 'a bling bastard'

White man - 'bling'

No difference?

49345[/snapback]

eh? just because you attach the word bastard it becomes racist? Are you on smack?

I have said what I think. The vast majority are decent. Others use the terms 'bling bastard' in 'mild' racist ways (personally i see nothing mild about it but that is term a friend used). Its inference is there simply because they would call others it if it wasnt the case. For instance Craig Bellamy, as you state.

Its getting better but we are a long way from utopia.

I still fail to see why people seem to feel the need to use a word couched in black culture to describe black players.

But never the white ones?

See what I mean?

49326[/snapback]

I see what you mean, I just think it's unimportant. I value freedom of speech above the tight lipped fear of breaking political correctness. We all have differences and we have always ridiculed those differences amongst each other. Whether it's for being ginger, lanky, fat, bald, short, black, indian, Pakistani, white, Irish, Geordie, Mackem etc etc. People take the piss out of each other and I wouldn't want it any other way.

What IS important is moving the hatred involved with racism toward the jovial banter involved in ripping the crap out of me for being lanky. Being lanky has no detrimental affect on my life other than people take the piss out of me. Being black incurs far more prejudice than inconsequential name calling.

I don't think 'bling' is racist. If anyone else does, then it is. I'm not going to stop saying it though. I have the right to say what I want. I don't have the right to refuse someone a job on the basis of their colour or beat the shit out of them for it. It's that level of racism that needs to be tackled.

49332[/snapback]

I have no problem with the word 'bling' in its basic meaning.

I do have a problem with 'bling bastard' in its vitriolic and selective use.

Very, very different

As for your last comment. Agreed, although it depends whether your belief is to tackle the big problem head on which hasnt worked or educate people regarding the smaller issues.

49337[/snapback]

I long for the day when I can call a player a black bastard without fear of a ban. Then you'll know we've gotten somewhere. Every game I hear "Lanky Bastard", "Aussie Bastard", "Fat Bastard", "Baldy twat" etc and no-one finds them offensive. Why is Black Bastard or Bling Bastard more offensive? Is it because the idea in the heads of the PC brigade is that it's bad to be black? Well it's not. It's just that racist people think it is and discriminate as a result.

49346[/snapback]

I understand but its an unequal playing field. The idea isnt that it is bad to be 'black'

It is the point that we use race negatively.

Have you ever been called a 'white bastard'?

Wouldnt bother me here but it would be a bit more intimidating if i was outnumbered significantly

49339[/snapback]

why have people failed ot describe the very 'bling' Craig Bellamy 'a bling bastard'

49345[/snapback]

The comment 'he's a bling bastard who should die' or whatever was obviously distasteful and I don't agree with it. But one person has said it on here. I don't think it is necessarily racist. What point are you making? That one person has said something on here that you deem to be racist? Is that it? If so fine.

49339[/snapback]

White man - 'bling'

No difference?

49345[/snapback]

eh? just because you attach the word bastard it becomes racist? Are you on smack?

49349[/snapback]

I will spell it out :

"Bling" = two meanings

1. ostentatious

2: term derived from black culture to describe black dress code and culture.

example of 1st : Craig Bellamy/David Beckham

How often after a game did people refer to Bellamy as a bling bastard? People refer to Beckham as 'bling' but rarely as 'bling bastard who I hope dies'

The question is :

Why refer to JJ, Dyer, Babayaro as 'bling bastards (I hope die)' s regularly?

Why doesnt the term apply from the same fans to Craig Bellamy?

Spot the difference in subtle nuance of the term, the context and the colour of the players.

Why do they feel the need to use the vitriol? Some people reading this have understood. Becasue you dont, doesn't mean it doesnt exist.

I understand but its an unequal playing field. The idea isnt that it is bad to be 'black'

Wouldnt bother me here but it would be a bit more intimidating if i was outnumbered significantly

49351[/snapback]

Call someone a white shit at the next game. The stewards will probably think you're Chinese. To be white has no negative connotation in our society.

I'm sure people have been called a white bastard and outnumbered significantly, if it was me the name calling in itself wouldn't bother me, just the anticipated severe beating.

49339[/snapback]

why have people failed ot describe the very 'bling' Craig Bellamy 'a bling bastard'

49345[/snapback]

The comment 'he's a bling bastard who should die' or whatever was obviously distasteful and I don't agree with it. But one person has said it on here. I don't think it is necessarily racist. What point are you making? That one person has said something on here that you deem to be racist? Is that it? If so fine.

49353[/snapback]

do you think the terms he used and the context had a racist tone?

I will spell it out :

"Bling" = two meanings

1. ostentatious

How often after a game did people refer to Bellamy as a bling bastard? People refer to Beckham as 'bling' but rarely as 'bling bastard who I hope dies'

The question is :

Spot the difference in subtle nuance of the term, the context and the colour of the players.

Why do they feel the need to use the vitriol? Some people reading this have understood. Becasue you dont, doesn't mean it doesnt exist.

49362[/snapback]

You've just made that up.

Edited by DotBum

49351[/snapback]

Call someone a white shit at the next game. The stewards will probably think you're Chinese. To be white has no negative connotation in our society.

I'm sure people have been called a white bastard and outnumbered significantly, if it was me the name calling in itself wouldn't bother me, just the anticipated severe beating.

49363[/snapback]

I doubt they will confuse me with a Chinaman to be honest but I get the point.

You mention our society. What is 'our' society? It has changed time and time again for the last (at least) 2000 years.

the world has shrunk. We are multi-cultural. In name alone most of the time.

White has no negative connotation because we are white. It isnt used negatively either. I constantly get people writing things saying things that cant be used 'black market' for example.

I will spell it out :

"Bling" = two meanings

1. ostentatious

The question is :

49362[/snapback]

You've just made that up.

49365[/snapback]

go to about page 3 or 4 and see the BBC link. Then apologise.

49339[/snapback]

49345[/snapback]

49353[/snapback]

49364[/snapback]

No, but I'm sure he can speak for himself. I know Alberto quite well (his Dad and my Dad used to play football together) and he isn't racist to the best on my knowledge. I think he meant Jenas is a flash bastard although he obviously went over the top with his comments re: him deserving to die. At any time though please feel free to answer any of the questions I've asked you in this thread ;)

49368[/snapback]

Like you have everytime someone has pointed out to you that you were incorrect in this thread you mean? ;)

49339[/snapback]

49345[/snapback]

49353[/snapback]

49364[/snapback]

No, but I'm sure he can speak for himself. I know Alberto quite well (his Dad and my Dad used to play football together) and he isn't racist to the best on my knowledge. I think he meant Jenas is a flash bastard although he obviously went over the top with his comments re: him deserving to die. At any time though please feel free to answer any of the questions I've asked you in this thread ;)

49370[/snapback]

I have . Ask them.You get an answer.

I Repeat. Was the comment made racist in tone?

You have little idea. Enjoy school next week.

Why not CB?

49368[/snapback]

Like you have everytime someone has pointed out to you that you were incorrect in this thread you mean? ;)

49372[/snapback]

Not surprisingly, bling is often dismissed as a shallow and crass celebration of material wealth. But as a new documentary for 1Xtra, the BBC's black music radio station, explains, its origins are far from superficial.

HOW BLING CAME TO BE

'Bling-bling' was coined in the late 90s

Rap family the Cash Money Millionaires credited with thinking up the word

Used as a song title by Cash Money artist Baby Gangsta

... the evolution of black music and image back to the civil rights movement in 1960s America.

side light

49339[/snapback]

49345[/snapback]

49353[/snapback]

49364[/snapback]

49370[/snapback]

Why not CB?

49373[/snapback]

I repeat no. You're very patronising, you're a school teacher on half-term, right?

49368[/snapback]

49372[/snapback]

Not surprisingly, bling is often dismissed as a shallow and crass celebration of material wealth. But as a new documentary for 1Xtra, the BBC's black music radio station, explains, its origins are far from superficial.

HOW BLING CAME TO BE

... the evolution of black music and image back to the civil rights movement in 1960s America.

side light

49374[/snapback]

Eh? white people make "Black Music" you mong.

I repeat no. You're very patronising, you're a school teacher on half-term, right?

49376[/snapback]

He's more likely a kid on half term tbh.

I still fail to see how adding the word "bastard" immediately makes it racist.....

49375[/snapback]

It isnt simply the word.

If I walk up to you and say 'youre looking very bling'

then its harmless

If you walk up to someone else and say 'youre a bling bastard'

does it change the meaning of the terminology?

HOW BLING CAME TO BE

'Bling' is rooted in black culture (see above)

the players who get 'bling bastard' aimed at them tend to be black

David Beckham get 'bling'

See the difference?

Context.

Hopefully you can see that now

49339[/snapback]

49345[/snapback]

49353[/snapback]

49364[/snapback]

49370[/snapback]

Why not CB?

49373[/snapback]

49376[/snapback]

Not for the first time. Wrong. Wouldnt get out of bed for a teachers salary.

Your a side light?