Newcastle United: A Play

Nyff

Most football supporters will endure a difficult time following their club at some point in their lives, and most will grumble away in pubs, offices and homes until things pick up again.

But for one theatre writer in the north east, just having a whinge and a moan was not enough.

Newcastle fan Michael Chaplin decided on a novel way of relieving his frustration surrounding the situation at St James' Park, by writing a play about it.

Chaplin, along with son Tom, and director Max Roberts, both fellow Magpies, wrote 'You Couldn't Make It Up' to document the turbulent times at the club.

Having put up with chaos ensuing at the club with Mike Ashley's takeover and the arrival (and subsequent departure) of Kevin Keegan, the trio set about explaining the situation and unearthing the truth behind the events.

"I have a season ticket at the Gallowgate End and sit behind Max and it was his idea," Chaplin told BBC Look North.

"For Tom and I it was a chance to get some kind of therapy."

Football fans can appreciate tale - Benton

As well as looking back to the Keegan departure, Ashley's arrival and other significant reference points, Chaplin and the team are constantly updating the script, depending on how events at St James' Park play out.

"We'll be rewriting more or less until the play finishes its run," he said.

"Hardly a day goes by without some further development, and only last week there was news about manager Joe Kinnear's enforced absence from the club.

"But I think that's very good, I think it's exciting. If something happens on the day of a performance, we write about it and people coming to see the show will see it reflected in that evening's performance.

"People say 'it's only football' but it's a very important institution in this city."

Actor Mark Benton, a Middlesbrough supporter, is appearing in the play as owner Ashley, a task which requires him to wear a Newcastle shirt.

And despite the obvious local rivalry, Benton believes the story is of interest to anyone with a footballing conscience.

"When Max told me about the project I thought it was an interesting project for football fans in general," he said.

"It always boils down to the fact that the fan gets it. As a Boro fan there's a lot of stuff I didn't know, and I'm sure it will get big reactions when we perform it."

The play runs from Tuesday, 24 February to Sunday, 1 March at the Live Theatre in Newcastle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7897642.stm

Makes sense really; making a football team full of drama into an actual drama.