Alcoholism

wykikitoon

Ive always had this bug bear with Alcoholism.

When my mother was alive she used to say it was a disease, an illness and I would of agreed with her. Some months after she died I found out several years before I was born she was an alcoholic and spent some time in hospital due to it. She never touched a drop of alcohol for 36 years.

Once an alocoholic, youre always an alcoholic, youve got to keep off the sauce.

Now, Ive given this many a thought and I am still struggling to get my head around it, but why is alcoholism seen as a disease? An illness. Its sort of ok but its not good, yet Heroin addicts etc, they are the filth of the earth? Just because alcohol is legal its not right? Its an addiction IMO as is heroin.

Looking in the dictionary the word disease is below:

a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment

So therefore Heroin, Cocaine etc are "diseases" yet they dont get classed as that? IMO Alcoholism can cause as much damage to a person and there peers as much as heroin can?

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol addiction is an addiction? No shit? :mellow:

Pernickety as usual Alexis.

Eh? It's obvious it's an addiction. There is no debate about that surely. The debate lies in whether an addiction like this could also be called a disease.

Alcohol addiction is an addiction? No shit? :mellow:

Eh? It's obvious it's an addiction. There is no debate about that surely. The debate lies in whether an addiction like this could also be called a disease.

Which was exactly my point. I don't see it as an illness.

Alcohol addiction is an addiction? No shit? :D

I don't think it's clear cut like. Some people are obviously more pre-disposed to becoming one. I think it's condition, if you like. To say an addiction to something is an addiction isn't really saying anything though, is it? :mellow:

I don't think it's clear cut like. Some people are obviously more pre-disposed to becoming one. I think it's condition, if you like. To say an addiction to something is an addiction isn't really saying anything though, is it? :mellow:

I implied it was an addiction rather than an illness. Perhaps my wording should have been clearer.

So to sum up, I'm putting it purely under the addiction umbrella! :love:

Unless of course we are classing every type of addiction as a disease in which case I'm fucked because as I'm hooked on Nestle Cookie Crisp cereal....

I implied it was an addiction rather than an illness. Perhaps my wording should have been clearer.

So to sum up, I'm putting it purely under the addiction umbrella! :razz:

Unless of course we are classing every type of addiction as a disease in which case I'm fucked because as I'm hooked on Nestle Cookie Crisp cereal....

You're saying it's not a disease, I get it :love:

It's not a conventional disease. You have to wonder why some people can't just have a drink and then stop. There must be something genetic or whatever. Mind, there's various degrees of alcoholism and loads of people in this country who won't even consider themselves to have a problem would be classed as having one in other countries.

It's not a conventional disease. You have to wonder why some people can't just have a drink and then stop. There must be something genetic or whatever. Mind, there's various degrees of alcoholism and loads of people in this country who won't even consider themselves to have a problem would be classed as having one in other countries.

Why cant someone just have 1 mars bar then stop?

On a topical note, I was in Sainsburys this morning after the gym getting some fruit, yoghurt etc and some bum in 90s lotto (probably) tracksuit started having a go at me under his breath about buying healthy food while ready to purchase 3 bottles of Sainsburys Basics Gin. :rolleyes:

Why cant someone just have 1 mars bar then stop?

On a topical note, I was in Sainsburys this morning after the gym getting some fruit, yoghurt etc and some bum in 90s lotto (probably) tracksuit started having a go at me under his breath about buying healthy food while ready to purchase 3 bottles of Sainsburys Basics Gin. :rolleyes:

No idea what you're on about now tbh.

You have to wonder why some people can't just have a drink and then stop.

I know what it was in reference to. I just have no idea what your point is.

It is an addiction. Its the same as someone addicted to masterbating, or smoking, or anything really. Is all addiction some sort of illness? Im addicted to anything to do with cycling and I love it. Obviously thats not in the same bracket as drink or drugs?

What I was trying to say is, the majority of people see aloholism as a "accepted" illness whereas someone who is addicted to heroin their illness is "not accpeted" and shouldnt be given the same help as alcoholics etc.

It's pretty obvious I think.

For example, the fattest teenager in the UK who had to have an operation recently to save her. She ate 10 mars bars per day apparently. Why not just 1 per day???

It is an addiction. Its the same as someone addicted to masterbating, or smoking, or anything really. Is all addiction some sort of illness? Im addicted to anything to do with cycling and I love it. Obviously thats not in the same bracket as drink or drugs?

What I was trying to say is, the majority of people see aloholism as a "accepted" illness whereas someone who is addicted to heroin their illness is "not accpeted" and shouldnt be given the same help as alcoholics etc.

Ok, so basically you are saying that any bad addiction is an illness?

Do Heroin addicts not get any help though ? Genuine question by the way.

For example, the fattest teenager in the UK who had to have an operation recently to save her. She ate 10 mars bars per day apparently. Why not just 1 per day???

Two different things though, surely? Although I doubt the lass feels good about herself and there's more to it than just liking Mars Bars.

There may be some similarities between obese people and alcoholics but there are loads of differences between the two conditions. Mars Bars aren't a powerful drug, are they? Not that I would class all alcoholics as the same anyway. Someone who develops a drinking problem after a traumatic event is different to someone like George Best's mother who, iirc, died in her 50s but never touched a drop until later in life (40s maybe). Not saying alcoholics are exempt from any responsibility but I think they do have a condition or a pre-disposition to one which the rest of us don't. I'd argue the average person would find it extremely difficult to become one through choice.

Two different things though, surely? Although I doubt the lass feels good about herself and there's more to it than just liking Mars Bars.

There may be some similarities between obese people and alcoholics but there are loads of differences between the two conditions. Mars Bars aren't a powerful drug, are they? Not that I would class all alcoholics as the same anyway. Someone who develops a drinking problem after a traumatic event is different to someone like George Best's mother who, iirc, died in her 50s but never touched a drop until later in life (40s maybe). Not saying alcoholics are exempt from any responsibility but I think they do have a condition or a pre-disposition to one which the rest of us don't. I'd argue the average person would find it extremely difficult to become one through choice.

I guess there are varying levels of alcoholism though and not all are not triggered by traumatic experiences.

I can see some parallels between (eg) excessive eating and drinking. Isn't the main cause of comfort eating down to filling some emotional void in your life - which i'd guess a lot of alcoholics suffer from.

Not than im expert on the matter like. :mellow:

I guess there are varying levels of alcoholism though and not all are not triggered by traumatic experiences.

I can see some parallels between (eg) excessive eating and drinking. Isn't the main cause of comfort eating down to filling some emotional void in your life - which i'd guess a lot of alcoholics suffer from.

Not than im expert on the matter like. :D

Exactly what I was getting at :mellow: I also said there were some similarities between excessive eating and drinking.

Edited by alex

Not than im expert on the matter like. :D

Exactly what I was getting at :mellow: I also said there were some similarities between excessive eating and drinking.

Case closed. :love:

Not than im expert on the matter like. :love:

Exactly what I was getting at :D I also said there were some similarities between excessive eating and drinking.

Case closed. :razz:

:mellow: What?