Tiscali going bust ?

Jimbo

Shares in Tiscali have been suspended on the Italian stock exchange after tumbling almost 50 per cent this morning on news it failed to meet a debt repayment.

The group - whose UK ISP brands include Tiscali, Pipex, Freedom2Surf and Nildram - said over the weekend it would try to renegotiate its loan agreements. Tiscali owes banks about €500m.

The board had hoped a sale of UK assets would help meet the repayments, but a long-running auction failed to attract a buyer. Talks with BSkyB, the last remaining bidder, had become "impossible to proceed", Tiscali told investors in a statement.

Tiscali had reportedly demanded £600m for its 1.77m UK subscribers, which make it the fifth largest broadband provider behind BT, Virgin Media, Carphone Warehouse and BSkyB. The latter refused to pay more than £450m, according to unconfirmed reports.

The impasse means Tiscali executives will be forced to ask banks for more generous loan terms. Meanwhile the potential for bankruptcy and loss of internet access is likely to spook the firm's already-dwindling UK customer base

ha fucking ha

a shower of total and utter pricks

and anyone who will have had to call their utterly useless customer services manned by cocky wee fuckers will laugh and all

Aye, the customer service is appalling. I was only with 'em for the 'trial month' because that was shit enough as it is.

• 1 month later...

Carphone Warehouse is to buy the UK assets of Italian internet service provider Tiscali for £236m.

The deal, which is expected to be completed by the end of June, will create the UK's largest home broadband provider with 4.25m subscribers.

Tiscali had previously been in talks with BSkyB, but negotiations broke down earlier this year.

Carphone Warehouse currently provides broadband services under its TalkTalk brand and via AOL Broadband.

Carphone chief executive Charles Dunstone said that the company would eventually just have a single brand.

But he added that Tiscali e-mail addresses would survive.

"We know the business well and the fit with TalkTalk is perfect," Mr Dunstone said.

Completion of the deal will give TalkTalk more than 25% of the residential broadband market.

Carphone expects it to boost its earnings by 10% in the next year.

Shares in Carphone Warehouse were up 3.8% by midmorning.

Tiscali shares, which were earlier suspended in Italy pending the statement, were up 8%.

'Competitive UK market'

Tiscali has struggled with its debt, which stands at about 600m euros ($805m;£535m).

It is the fifth largest internet service provider in the UK, with 1.45m broadband customers.

"The transaction should be considered in light of the strong consolidating trend in the highly competitive UK market, evaluating Tiscali UK activities as a whole, thus preserving the value of its industrial assets and know-how within the Carphone Warehouse Group," said Mario Rosso, chief executive of Tiscali.

Carphone announced plans last month to separate its mobile phone business from its TalkTalk fixed line and broadband operations.

It operates 2,400 mobile phone shops across Europe in a joint venture with the US retailer Best Buy.

I'm with Tiscali, maybe I'll get cheaper broadband now :D I was starting to look around anyway, as mine is £14 a month.

Depending on how you use it, those pay as you go ones aren't so bad now. More like the old dial up pay as you go but with decentish bandwidth.

I'm with Tiscali, maybe I'll get cheaper broadband now :D I was starting to look around anyway, as mine is £14 a month.

I pay £25 a fuckin' month to Virgin for my b/band connection.

Again hopefully the pay as you go ones will knock the price down a bit, really very few people absolutely need always on and/or unlimited broadband even these days.

As a tiscali customer I'm surprised I've had no email about this. I pay by DD, so will they be able to just pass my details on to whoever has taken over, without my permission?

As a tiscali customer I'm surprised I've had no email about this. I pay by DD, so will they be able to just pass my details on to whoever has taken over, without my permission?

Yep, you may get a letter confirming its happened (may!) but the new company will just notification to your bank to say the Direct Debit instruction has changed. With any luck it won't randomly faily leading to you getting a letter in a couple of months telling you that you owe them 3 months money.

Got this today:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to inform you that Tiscali Group has today reached an agreement with TalkTalk (the wholly owned subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse Group PLC) for the sale of Tiscali's UK operations to TalkTalk. The agreement is expected to complete in the next few weeks.

We are delighted to become part of the TalkTalk Group, all Tiscali customers will increasingly benefit from an innovative business that has consistently championed best value and award winning customer service.

I would like to re-assure you that all your services and products continue as normal and without interruption and importantly the continuation of your existing email addresses.

To find out more information and to answer any of your questions please go to www.talktalk.co.uk/tiscali/.

Kind regards,

Mary Turner

Tiscali UK, 20 Broadwick Street, London W1F 8HT

Registered in England, registered number 5306519. All rights reserved.

Got this today:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to inform you that Tiscali Group has today reached an agreement with TalkTalk (the wholly owned subsidiary of Carphone Warehouse Group PLC) for the sale of Tiscali's UK operations to TalkTalk. The agreement is expected to complete in the next few weeks.

We are delighted to become part of the TalkTalk Group, all Tiscali customers will increasingly benefit from an innovative business that has consistently championed best value and award winning customer service.

I would like to re-assure you that all your services and products continue as normal and without interruption and importantly the continuation of your existing email addresses.

To find out more information and to answer any of your questions please go to www.talktalk.co.uk/tiscali/.

Kind regards,

Mary Turner

Tiscali UK, 20 Broadwick Street, London W1F 8HT

Registered in England, registered number 5306519. All rights reserved.

Thanks Jimbo...I guess i should check my emails too <_<

Get on O2

I pay £7.50 a month for 8Mb unlimited and not had a moments problem in over a year.

Christ! thats cheap...is that part of a package with your mobile or anything though? I dont use wireless BB, just ordinary, and because of where we live my BT line can only just about support a 1-2Mb connection.

Get on O2

I pay £7.50 a month for 8Mb unlimited and not had a moments problem in over a year.

Christ! thats cheap...is that part of a package with your mobile or anything though? I dont use wireless BB, just ordinary, and because of where we live my BT line can only just about support a 1-2Mb connection.

You may well find they won't support it, but whether that's because it actually won't work in your area or just because they won't let you have it because it might not (been through this with them in an area where other mobile broadband is functional). <_<