Anyone know much about bikes (mountain)

maggiespaws

Looking at buying a couple of bikes for me and the Mrs. Nothing fancy as I'll be carrying Master Paws on the back in one of those child seats.

As we will be using one of the child seats, we can't have bikes with rear suspension.

I haven't bought a bike in almost 15yrs so I can only judge some of the brands based on what they were like then. Mongoose & Saracen = Good. Apollo = BAD, to give a couple of examples.

I'm trying to keep the cost at about £200 each (just bought a bike rack for the car and his seat) and I've been looking around. You can get some good deals at the minute, loads online - but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at in some cases.

www.bikes2udirect.com have some great deals on with some £300 bikes going for £200 etc. One brand I dont recognise is "Dirty". Seems to be a sub-brand of Dawes (who I recognise) but are they any good? The Dirty Fiend :D looks canny for the money especially as it has £100 off but am I better sticking with the Saracen one which is a similar price but not as good spec?

Going to get a ladies bike for Mrs Paws, but she doesn't want girly pink if we can help it ;)

Any thoughts from anyone?

EDIT: I should mention, we're looking at doing this on weekends etc just going out for a few hours in the country. We're off to Center Parcs (Sherwood Forest) so you get the idea of the sort of stuff we'll be doing.

Head for the local bike shop. This where local is best. They will asses your needs and bore you forever, but they will help narrow down the decent stuff from the dogs.

Once you've narrowed it down to 2 or 3, fuck off the local bike shop and straight on the net for the best deal.

Yeah, already done a bit of that. Looking online has just opened it up further. Just thought I'd get a heads up from someone in the know before going back to the shops where I sometimes felt they were trying to sell me the bike they wanted too, rather than what I needed.

Wykikitoon is the man to talk to.

I was thinking that up until the "nothing fancy" bit

:D

Wykikitoon is the man to talk to.

I was thinking that up until the "nothing fancy" bit

:D

Was just about to PM him but not sure now. Is he some kind of Uber bike geek that's going to tell me I should look at anything under a £grand or something ;)

Isn't there somebody on here who owns a bike shop? Or their husband does or something?

There was a thread going about somebody thinking about opening their own business, then this person came in and was all like, "Do it, it's been tough but great."

Thread title was something to the effect of, "If you were going to start your own business, what would it be?"

Isn't there somebody on here who owns a bike shop? Or their husband does or something?

There was a thread going about somebody thinking about opening their own business, then this person came in and was all like, "Do it, it's been tough but great."

Thread title was something to the effect of, "If you were going to start your own business, what would it be?"

Hmm, I will have missed that. I'll do a search. Thanks.

You're thinking of Toonraider but it wasnt a bike shop, I think her hubby is a bike (motor) mechanic.

Build yourself a nice Pace. :lol:

Although if you're just on about roads and basic dirt road/path riding I wouldn't worry too much, whatever you buy is likely going to be adequate.

You're thinking of Toonraider but it wasnt a bike shop, I think her hubby is a bike (motor) mechanic.

Ah shite. My bad Paws.

Think I'm narrowing it down now.

Down to a Diamond Back, a GT (Outlook), a Saracen or a Mongoose.

Womens bikes are harder to get, but I've got it down to either a diamond back or a mongoose for Mrs Paws.

Think I'm narrowing it down now.

Down to a Diamond Back, a GT (Outlook), a Saracen or a Mongoose.

Womens bikes are harder to get, but I've got it down to either a diamond back or a mongoose for Mrs Paws.

You had me confused there until I looked at them and saw they are advertising "woman specific geometry".... in all honesty that sounds like marketing bollocks and is no substitute for trying out the right frame size with the right stem/seatpost/saddle.