Freddy Shepherd plans Newcastle United return

Scottish Mag

FORMER Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd is in talks with would-be foreign investors aimed at launching a summer takeover of the club.

The ex-Magpies supremo, pictured right, has held discussions with businessmen from the USA and Middle East about a deal which could be key to keeping Alan Shearer at St James’s Park.

Shepherd is refusing to comment on the prospect of him heading a consortium to buy United back from Mike Ashley.

But sources insist that Shepherd and his wealthy potential backers would have the means to meet Ashley’s asking price.

And they would then go all out to persuade Shearer to stay on as manager permanently and begin rebuilding a side in serious decline.

“Shepherd and his fellow investors have been closely monitoring Newcastle’s position, and know there would be two prices for the club, depending on whether they stay up or go down,” said an insider.

“But the people we are talking about would be able to finance a deal given either scenario.

“And their intention is to provide funding to keep Alan Shearer at Newcastle.”

The news casts serious doubt over the prospect of a Geordie consortium launching a viable takeover bid, with the source adding: “The people Shepherd has spoken to are in a different financial league.”

Meanwhile, talk of a truce between Shearer and Joey Barton is unfounded, with the outcast midfielder told to stay away from the United training ground in the coming week.

Shearer is not interested in a reconciliation with Barton following the midfielder’s sending-off and post-match rant at Liverpool a fortnight ago.

However, Shearer has broken his silence on the urgent need for Ashley to take steps NOW to keep Newcastle’s “best” players on Tyneside.

The temporary United boss has called for Sebastien Bassong to be handed a long-term deal – and revealed his delight at Arsenal’s interest in the Frenchman – while backing Steven Taylor’s captaincy credentials.

“We need to keep and get the best players here at Newcastle, and he is without doubt one of them,” Shearer said of Bassong, who has two years left on his current deal.

“If what we want to happen happens, by staying in the Premier League, my advice would be to get him on a long-term contract, without a doubt. He’s a big player.

“If he’s attracting Arsenal’s attention, good.”

Shearer added: “Steven and Sebastien are both young with big futures ahead of them. Is Steven a future captain? Yeah.

“Steven will tell you he’s still got a long way to go but the good thing about him is that he wants to improve.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-23640520/

I'd still go for it, bollocks or not

Fuck it, so would I <_<

Sad but true! As shit as Fat Fred was, (and he certainly started the job Ashley is trying to finish in relegating us), i'd still take him back over Asley and Llambias!

Can't be worse than Ashley, why not?

It actually can be, maybe not in running the club, but financially there's certainly possibilities. <_<

Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Then back into the frying pan again. Woo-hoo!

yeah but its sort of a non stick tefal red spot frying pan this time by the sounds of things , not as bad as last time if the story is tobe belived

At least the man loves the club we need rid of Ashley imo, he's wrecked the club in 2 seasons granted Freddy ran up the clubs debts but if he's got enough billionaires in his consortium then this could definitely be a good thing.

Hmm I'm sceptical. The grass is always greener and all that - I don't doubt that Shepherd's heart is in the right place but lets not lose sight of the fact that financially, he left the club in an absolute fucking mess with hidden debts that weren't realised by St James' Holdings until long after Mike Ashley got the keys.

If he were to come back, I'd want someone else doing the financial management. In some respects Shepherd was too much of a fan (if you get my drift).

A lot would depend on who he brings with him surely. Presumably if they're substantial investors they'll want a substantial say. They don't need to be at DUG-level to have a serious chance of rebuilding the club; as long as they've got the wherewithal to stand a couple of seasons of investing adequately in the first team, and the brains to run the club professionally, they ought to have every confidence of getting the club to punch something like its weight.

This club still has huge potential. Our fanbase and the fact we have our stadium in place still gives us, despite all the follies of recent years, a big natural advantage over most clubs. It's just a question of taking it. It really shouldn't be too difficult to make Newcastle United a top eight club; the hard part is progressing from there, but getting there is eminently achievable at this club. Look at 5th to 8th currently: Everton, Villa, Fulham, Spuds. None of them are much above the ordinary as football teams. They might look light years ahead of us given how shit we currently are but in reality they're hardly disappearing into the distance. Man City might get it right and that would make it harder, but I see no reason why a well-run Newcastle couldn't become a top eight side fairly quickly if the club is properly run.

sounessDM1301_468x297.jpg

arghhh , take it down !!!!!

scary fuckin picture , brings back bad memories , i gave my season ticket up that day .

Worse memories than the ones from this season?

This season is the over all product of that day, in my humble opinion, the failure to replace Sir Bobby is the reason we are going down.

sounessDM1301_468x297.jpg

arghhh , take it down !!!!!

scary fuckin picture , brings back bad memories , i gave my season ticket up that day .

Worse memories than the ones from this season?

This season is the over all product of that day, in my humble opinion, the failure to replace Sir Bobby is the reason we are going down.

what he said , watching a good friend in sir bobby get shat on was bad enough , watching that tosser in the photo ruin the squad was torture

Can't there be a third option rather than Shepherd or Ashley? :(<_<

It's like being given the choice of haemorrhoids or toothache

Guest alex

Supporter owned? we'll get the NUSC back on the case.

Speaking of which, if and when we go down, I'd laugh my tits off if Ashley ended up selling for about £80m after he mocked the fans with comments about how we could buy the club ourselves if we weren't happy with him after KK walked. Then I hope he gets bad AIDS.

Supporter owned? we'll get the NUSC back on the case.

Speaking of which, if and when we go down, I'd laugh my tits off if Ashley ended up selling for about £80m after he mocked the fans with comments about how we could buy the club ourselves if we weren't happy with him after KK walked. Then I hope he gets bad AIDS.

That might be the silver lining of relegation, I wonder if it might be the case ? I wonder if there is a buyer waiting in the wings and the only issue is what the price will be: one price for Premier league, another for Championship, this might explain Ashley's decision to ditch the original plan and dump Wise and bring in Shearer.