A Tribute To Kevin

Tooj

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I think it was when he returned as Man City manager when knobs,and i mean a canny few knobs,starting chanting `Keegan Keegan what's the score......' when we were a couple/few goals up.

Knobs of the highest order they were and still are. Winning the Fairs Cup and the Keegan era are the best times i've ever had supporting NUFC .

• 2 months later...

Keith Gillespie has revealed how Sir Alex Ferguson tricked Kevin Keegan when selling him to Newcastle.

The former Northern Ireland winger joined the Magpies in 1995 as part of the £7m deal which saw Andy Cole move the other way.

But not before Ferguson had intervened a little to ensure his man earned himself a bumper pay day.

"After an FA Cup game, we thrashed out terms at midnight in a hotel in Sheffield. Back then I was a £250-a-week player," he told the Sunday Telegraph.

"I remember Alex sitting there with a pen and paper, adding up figures and scribbling away. He told a bit of a white lie to Kevin Keegan: 'Keith’s on £600 a week at the moment so he’ll be looking for an increase on that.'

"He didn’t tell me this would happen so I sat there with a poker face, giving nothing away. Newcastle were happy to double my wage and an hour later I shook hands on a deal worth £1,200 a week."

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...