Does size matter?

The Fish

I'm not at home, but I think I have about 120Gig.

It's a right bastard only having an 80Gig ipod and having to leave a third of my stuff off. :omgwank:

;) I have an 8 gig iPod Nano

Although I kind of like having to select what I actually have with me. Means I have to take an actual interest in what I listen to. It generally comes down to the "Recently added" playlist like... but still :D

Surely an 8Gig Nano can't even hold just the official studio releases of the core rock/pop gods (The Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix/The Rolling Stones/James Brown/Power Station) that form the backbone of ANY collection before you think about branching out to other genre, lesser artists, rareties and unofficial releases.

An 8 gig player should give you about a weeks worth of continuous playback by my reckoning (maybe a bit less depending on compression). If you listen to music for say a couple of hours a day, that's nearly 3 months worth of music, listening to each track only once. You are free to transfer and swap files as much as you like of course.

Honestly HF, your collecting strikes me as a bit obsessional, which is fine btw, but don't expect everybody else to be the same. By my calculations, if you listened to your collection back to back, it would take you between 50 and 100 days. Most people like to listen to tracks several times though. I just don't think its feasible to do this, basically you're collecting for the sake of it. In the days of vinyl you would literally have to have owned a music shop.

015-high-fidelity.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

015-high-fidelity.jpg

I do relate to Nick Hornby.

In 31 songs he wrote about Bob Dylan. How he doesn't consider himself a fan. Not even close, by the standards of the nuts who collect bootlegs and that. But he owns more Dylan music than any other artist, including those he has far more personal affection for. Because Dylan has produced more 'important' music than any other artist.

You have to get hold of anything that anyone deems 'important'. You can dismiss it or not once you have it, but to have not heard it and have informed your opinion is inconceivible.

So as much as I deride Pink Floyd earlier in the thread....I still keep ALL their albums, and not just the good one, for that moment when someone claims Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a work of genius and I can disagree, and if I have any doubt, remind myself it's a turgid slog like watching another man masturbate.

Surely an 8Gig Nano can't even hold just the official studio releases of the core rock/pop gods (The Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Bob Dylan/Jimi Hendrix/The Rolling Stones/James Brown/Power Station) that form the backbone of ANY collection before you think about branching out to other genre, lesser artists, rareties and unofficial releases.

I have about 9000 songs over 50Gb - not a second of any ot those named.

I have about 9000 songs over 50Gb - not a second of any ot those named.

No James Brown?

So you never count it off?

You poor thing.

In 31 songs he wrote about Bob Dylan. How he doesn't consider himself a fan. Not even close, by the standards of the nuts who collect bootlegs and that. But he owns more Dylan music than any other artist, including those he has far more personal affection for. Because Dylan has produced more 'important' music than any other artist.

You have to get hold of anything that anyone deems 'important'. You can dismiss it or not once you have it, but to have not heard it and have informed your opinion is inconceivible.

So as much as I deride Pink Floyd earlier in the thread....I still keep ALL their albums, and not just the good one, for that moment when someone claims Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a work of genius and I can disagree, and if I have any doubt, remind myself it's a turgid slog like watching another man masturbate.

Did you have to do that too to see if it was 'important'? :D;)

No James Brown?

You poor thing.

I have enough trouble getting through stuff I like - I'm not interested in stuff I know I won't.

I know there are people who pride themselves on eclectic music taste but I'm honest - I know I'm "narrow minded" in (mostly) only liking guitar based music but I'm not going to listen to shit just for prestige.

Did you have to do that too to see if it was 'important'? :D;)

Thinking about it, I've actually watched that hundreds of times and enjoyed it immensley...normally right into a womans face/fake tits like.

Edited by Happy Face

well said NJS.

I often experiment with stuff I don't like just to check, but I think you get hard wired to certain sounds and keep seeking those out. Even the uber-collectors have their favourite genres.

Did you have to do that too to see if it was 'important'? ;):omgwank:

Thinking about it, I've actually watched that hundreds of times and enjoyed it immensley...normally right into a womans face/fake tits like.

:D

No James Brown?

You poor thing.

I have enough trouble getting through stuff I like - I'm not interested in stuff I know I won't.

I know there are people who pride themselves on eclectic music taste but I'm honest - I know I'm "narrow minded" in (mostly) only liking guitar based music but I'm not going to listen to shit just for prestige.

I was explaining why I have all that stuff I couldn't possibly give repeated listens btw. I pointedly DON'T listen to anything just for the prestige.

Some of the guitar work in James Browns band is tighter than a gnat's chuff btw. Catfish Collins...Jimmy Nolen...Kenny poole....legends :D

Aye, but I don't need to have those on my iPod everyday, do I? at the moment it's just the new albums from Friendly Fires, Grizzly Bear, Diana Krall, Phoenix, The Maccabees. With Demon Days and Invaders must Die for kicks...

Honestly, I don't see the value in having so much music on your iPod unless you spend the entire day on the move and in need of musical distraction. I get that if you've got a collection that fits entirely onto your iPod you may as well have it all to hand... but seriously, I prefer to listen to new stuff when I'm on the move. Only break out the classics when I'm in the house, where I've access to my entire library.

I was explaining why I have all that stuff I couldn't possibly give repeated listens btw. I pointedly DON'T listen to anything just for the prestige.

Some of the guitar work in James Browns band is tighter than a gnat's chuff btw. Catfish Collins...Jimmy Nolen...Kenny poole....legends :D

Soz didn't meant to offend - sometime I just think people like to boast how wide their tastes are whereas I know what I like and stick to it.

Did you buy all the "box ticking" stuff or did you download it out of interest? - one of the underused arguments for illegal downloading is the "check out other genres" one which I have certainly done in a limited way.

When I said "guitar" I meant in context - I know there are people like George Benson and others like those you mention who are technically brilliant but in the context of jazz/funk/soul it does nothing for me.

Honestly, I don't see the value in having so much music on your iPod unless you spend the entire day on the move and in need of musical distraction. I get that if you've got a collection that fits entirely onto your iPod you may as well have it all to hand... but seriously, I prefer to listen to new stuff when I'm on the move. Only break out the classics when I'm in the house, where I've access to my entire library.

Unless I have a particular recent new issue, I like to use my Zen in random mode in order to "dig up" things I havem't listended to for ages - this sometimes then leads to focusing on that band for a few days or at home.

I've got a wee 1GB Zen Stone for the gym, which gets anything I feel like listening to that day/couple of days. I haven't got an mp3 player with capacity beyond that, since I don't have any real reason to listen to music on the go (no commute, etc.), but if I did then I'd shell out for something huge that'd take pretty much everything I own. What would be the point in splitting the difference with a mid-range player and having to limit myself to, say, my 50 or 100 favourite albums at any given point in time? I have no idea what I'll feel like listening to the next time I'm mid-air between Heathrow and Frankfurt or jogging at the local park. Why not have everything at my disposal? :D

Unless I have a particular recent new issue, I like to use my Zen in random mode in order to "dig up" things I havem't listended to for ages - this sometimes then leads to focusing on that band for a few days or at home.

I'm on the hunt for new music almost daily, so I'm never without something new to pop on the iPod. Does mean I get to hear a lot of average stuff. La Roux is pretty much crap after "Going in for the Kill" and "Fascination" :D

Soz didn't meant to offend - sometime I just think people like to boast how wide their tastes are whereas I know what I like and stick to it.

Did you buy all the "box ticking" stuff or did you download it out of interest? - one of the underused arguments for illegal downloading is the "check out other genres" one which I have certainly done in a limited way.

When I said "guitar" I meant in context - I know there are people like George Benson and others like those you mention who are technically brilliant but in the context of jazz/funk/soul it does nothing for me.

No offence taken. Just don't want to give the impression I'm some kind of whatsisname (can't remember...Ben Music bloke).

I'll listen to owt....but it's 99% stuff that gets into Itunes charts. I was the same as you for years. Guitar music all the way. Unlike you though, I was massively conceited about it too unfortunately ;) . I cringe to think back at how i railed against all Rap or Electronic music as complete shite by talentless idiots unable to play an instrument. I think it's that shame combined with how much I love a lot of the stuff I've since given a chance that makes me more eager to give anything and everything a go.

Yeah, I've bought all that box ticking stuff that I've liked. I've got two 200 capacity CD racks full and no space for the overflow.

WRT to having it ALL on one portable player... I have 2 hours of commuting and sit at a desk for 8.5 hours once I'm in. Potentially ten hours a day to fill.

I hate it when I get a track in my head that's not currently on my ipod.

I have 'set in stone favourites' which get picked up by a 'forgotten favourites' smart playlist when I'm in that mood. I Keep a few gig free for podcasts & new albums which get the most listens, and only delete stuff that hasn't made it as a set in stone favourite after few months.

The trouble is the set in stone stuff that took up 10Gig before, now takes up 50Gig.

WRT to having it ALL on one portable player... I have 2 hours of commuting and sit at a desk for 8.5 hours once I'm in. Potentially ten hours a day to fill.

I have 'set in stone favourites' which get picked up by a 'forgotten favourites' smart playlist when I'm in that mood. I Keep a few gig free for podcasts & new albums which get the most listens, and only delete stuff that hasn't made it as a set in stone favourite after few months.

The trouble is the set in stone stuff that took up 10Gig before, now takes up 50Gig.

youtube/last.fm/spotify etc?

I've got a wee 1GB Zen Stone for the gym, which gets anything I feel like listening to that day/couple of days. I haven't got an mp3 player with capacity beyond that, since I don't have any real reason to listen to music on the go (no commute, etc.), but if I did then I'd shell out for something huge that'd take pretty much everything I own. What would be the point in splitting the difference with a mid-range player and having to limit myself to, say, my 50 or 100 favourite albums at any given point in time? I have no idea what I'll feel like listening to the next time I'm mid-air between Heathrow and Frankfurt or jogging at the local park. Why not have everything at my disposal? :D

Because a smaller capacity mp3 is physically smaller, looks better, uses flash memory (faster, more reliable), and has a much better battery life?

Honestly, for people who are claiming 16 gigs of music isn't enough for a long holiday, what the hell did they do before mp3 files? Hire a transit van stuffed full of vinyl with a music deck to follow them round?

youtube/last.fm/spotify etc?

Work PC in an open plan office so can't really install stuff/play videos.

Youtube has loads of tracks removed now anyway doesn't it? I've had trouble finding a few tracks.

Last FM used to only play tracks by a specified artist iirc. can you name a specific track now and get it played as often as you like?

Still haven't used Spotify. Is there ad's?

I cringe to think back at how i railed against all Rap or Electronic music as complete shite by talentless idiots unable to play an instrument.

I've had a few rants in the past - now I just dismiss it pretty much out of hand - I honestly think I've heard enough of huge tracts of genres to know its unlikely I'll ever like them. That has become a lot easier in the last few years with radio/tv stations and even pubs/clubs which I know will "insulate" me from hearing anything mainstream or "different".

Because a smaller capacity mp3 is physically smaller, looks better, uses flash memory (faster, more reliable), and has a much better battery life?

Honestly, for people who are claiming 16 gigs of music isn't enough for a long holiday, what the hell did they do before mp3 files? Hire a transit van stuffed full of vinyl with a music deck to follow them round?

When i had my portable CD player I remember filling my bag with dozens of CD's ;) . MP3's have been a godsend. I see no reason to limit the choice of music when you can take your entire music collection in a player no bigger than a mobile phone.

I don't do exercise with it on me like. I can understand smaller (clip on) players being more popular if you are....but they're coppers anyway.

I couldn't be arsed with the palava of revising my choices every night.

Most importantly, you'd lose your playcount/last played date/Rating that forms the backbone of any set of smart playlists worth it's salt if you removed and replaced tracks as and when you wanted them.

I'm on the hunt for new music almost daily, so I'm never without something new to pop on the iPod. Does mean I get to hear a lot of average stuff. La Roux is pretty much crap after "Going in for the Kill" and "Fascination" :D

Just to save you some time, don't both with Bat for Lashes latest - it's pap.