Alan Shearer set to discover his Newcastle fate as owner Mike Ashley prepares manager verdict

Jimbo

Alan Shearer is due to discover from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley today if he is to be made permanent manager at St James’ Park.

Ashley has been in negotiations with banks all week to see if he can get the short-term cash injection needed to install Shearer, who is in limbo until he hears.

Last night there were no signals as to which way things were going and there could be another delay that takes the situation into next week.

Time up? Alan Shearer is set to discover whether Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will retain him as the club's manager

But if Ashley brings bad news from the banks then he will be unable to appoint Shearer and even though it would provoke another backlash from Newcastle fans, Ashley might turn once more to Joe Kinnear.

Kinnear would be placed in control of the Championship club while Keith Harris tries to sell it for Ashley.

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton said yesterday that he wants stay at Newcastle despite Shearer’s obvious annoyance after his dismissal at Anfield recently.

‘Everything with the club is a bit up in the air,’ Barton said. ‘I don't know what is going to happen with the club or the manager situation.

'My intention is to go back and help Newcastle back into the Premier League. If Alan Shearer takes the job, and if he doesn't want me, then my hands are tied.’

Newcastle United full-back Jose Enrique is a target for Atletico Madrid who are confident they can do a deal for less than £4million for 23-year-old.

Alan Shearer is due to discover from Newcastle owner Mike Ashley today if he is to be made permanent manager at St James’ Park.

Ashley has been in negotiations with banks all week to see if he can get the short-term cash injection needed to install Shearer, who is in limbo until he hears.

Last night there were no signals as to which way things were going and there could be another delay that takes the situation into next week.

Time up? Alan Shearer is set to discover whether Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will retain him as the club's manager

But if Ashley brings bad news from the banks then he will be unable to appoint Shearer and even though it would provoke another backlash from Newcastle fans, Ashley might turn once more to Joe Kinnear.

Kinnear would be placed in control of the Championship club while Keith Harris tries to sell it for Ashley.

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton said yesterday that he wants stay at Newcastle despite Shearer’s obvious annoyance after his dismissal at Anfield recently.

‘Everything with the club is a bit up in the air,’ Barton said. ‘I don't know what is going to happen with the club or the manager situation.

'My intention is to go back and help Newcastle back into the Premier League. If Alan Shearer takes the job, and if he doesn't want me, then my hands are tied.’

Newcastle United full-back Jose Enrique is a target for Atletico Madrid who are confident they can do a deal for less than £4million for 23-year-old.

we could really do without this, having just one left back in your squad is bad enough, soon we might have none