Aldi - Britain's Best Supermarket

Happy Face

Are you paid to market Aldi?

:o

An Aldi voucher! Now there's a gift worth receiving.

;)

Seriously though. I like to recommend good service providers. Obviously you should use local traders as much as you possibly can, but if you really must use a supermarket Aldi is the cheapest, highest quality, most ethical choice....

Ethics scores....

Aldi 8

Costcutter 8

Co-op 7.5

Waitrose 7.5

Booths 7

Farmfoods 7

Londis 7

Budgens 6.5

Netto 6

Lidl 5.5

Marks & Spencer 5

Morrisons 4.5

Iceland 4

Kwiksave 4

Somerfield 4

Sainsbury's 3.5

Tesco 2

Asda 1.5

Note: Marks are out of 20 and five to nine is deemed poor.

http://money.uk.msn.com/guides/ethical-mon...umentid=4752097

I always knew Asda were the bad guys. I generally shop in either Aldi, Waitrose or Co-Op, I'm quite literally saving the planet by my self...

Are you paid to market Aldi?

:o

An Aldi voucher! Now there's a gift worth receiving.

;)

Seriously though. I like to recommend good service providers. Obviously you should use local traders as much as you possibly can, but if you really must use a supermarket Aldi is the cheapest, highest quality, most ethical choice....

Ethics scores....

Aldi 8

Costcutter 8

Co-op 7.5

Waitrose 7.5

Booths 7

Farmfoods 7

Londis 7

Budgens 6.5

Netto 6

Lidl 5.5

Marks & Spencer 5

Morrisons 4.5

Iceland 4

Kwiksave 4

Somerfield 4

Sainsbury's 3.5

Tesco 2

Asda 1.5

Note: Marks are out of 20 and five to nine is deemed poor.

http://money.uk.msn.com/guides/ethical-mon...umentid=4752097

What a load of shite. According to that site, GM food is somehow unethical and herbal medicines are ethical. Only a smelly hippy would come up with that conclusion.

Edit: Having a quick look at the parent site is funny. Apparently they have a list of which football clubs are most ethical and which you should therefore support. I would love to know how they work that out, but am I fuck paying them three quid for the privilege!

Edited by Renton

What a load of shite. According to that site, GM food is somehow unethical and herbal medicines are ethical. Only a smelly hippy would come up with that conclusion.

I'd have thought not testing on animals is viewed as more ethical than testing on animals by most people, and not just hippies.

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

Edited by Happy Face

I'd have thought not testing on animals is viewed as more ethical than testing on animals.

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

If you believe pharamceutical drugs are unethical feel free to not use them, and use unproven/ineffective/potentially dangerous medicine instead. Easy to say when you're healthy mind. People clearly have different ethical values so why should I accept theirs?

Also re: GM food/organic. Which is more ethical, embracing a technology that may go some way to solving the world's food shortages, or feeling smug because you can afford to be a luddite as the third world starves?

Anyway, the point is, Aldi is shit.

I'd have thought not testing on animals is viewed as more ethical than testing on animals by most people, and not just hippies.

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

what about testing on plants?

Dwarf Wheat is the example I keep going back, that's a GM food.

Guest alex

I'd have thought not testing on animals is viewed as more ethical than testing on animals.

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

If you believe pharamceutical drugs are unethical feel free to not use them, and use unproven/ineffective/potentially dangerous medicine instead. Easy to say when you're healthy mind. People clearly have different ethical values so why should I accept theirs?

Also re: GM food/organic. Which is more ethical, embracing a technology that may go some way to solving the world's food shortages, or feeling smug because you can afford to be a luddite as the third world starves?

Aldi's alright. Bits and bobs place rather than a proper supermarket though.

I don't even let them past the doorstep. :lol:

Any time we have a problem with use by dates being close to delivery, my lass rings and gets the item refunded. Never really had much bother with it though and it's far preferable to spending time with the general public in the supermarket.

Look at me, I'm in a relationship now, flash bastard ;)

I don't even let them past the doorstep. :lol:

Any time we have a problem with use by dates being close to delivery, my lass rings and gets the item refunded. Never really had much bother with it though and it's far preferable to spending time with the general public in the supermarket.

Look at me, I'm in a relationship now, flash bastard ;)

;)

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

Fop style argument right there like.

They're giving the full picture. Personally I hold no great objection to testing on animals, i think it would be pretty hypocritical as a meat eater. I wouldn't try and argue that gives me any kind of moral high ground though, that I view the prolonged torture of sentient beings as perfectly acceptable so I can have a pill to lessen my headache after a night on the piss. There are veggie, hippies who WOULD refuse to use ANY product tested on animals. I have the utmost respect for their stance.

Edited by Happy Face

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

They're giving the full picture. Personally I hold no great objection to testing on animals, i think it would be pretty hypocritical as a meat eater. I wouldn't try and argue that gives me any kind of moral high ground though, that I view the prolonged torture of sentient beings as perfectly acceptable so I can have a pill to lessen my headache after a night on the piss. There are veggie, hippies who WOULD refuse to use ANY product tested on animals. I have the utmost respect for their stance.

How very dare you.

I don't think you can give the full picture by giving a single score out of 20. How ethical a shop is depends on your personal values and anyway, it's the individual products that you buy that are important. Plus staff pay etc, can't imagine Aldi would compare favourably to M&S on that score.

In all seriousness I'd agree with Alex and say Aldi has some decent lines but you couldn't do a full shop there, so not much use to me.

As for the co-op, they do seem to making a comeback. The checkout staff in the one next to the gate want shooting though.

ars imo.

I'm no expert though.

How very dare you.

I don't think you can give the full picture by giving a single score out of 20. How ethical a shop is depends on your personal values and anyway, it's the individual products that you buy that are important. Plus staff pay etc, can't imagine Aldi would compare favourably to M&S on that score.

In all seriousness I'd agree with Alex and say Aldi has some decent lines but you couldn't do a full shop there, so not much use to me.

As for the co-op, they do seem to making a comeback. The checkout staff in the one next to the gate want shooting though.

I seem to remember reading that Aldi staff are very well taken care of...because there's so few of them that have to work so hard. The flipside is that an Aldi can drive local grocers out of business just as effectively as an Asda, while creating just a fraction of the jobs.

As I said though, none of the supermarkets did better than 'poor', so it's only a question of how bad each one is. I don't see why you can't get an overall view taking lots of criteria into account, it's all relative.

Guest alex
Do they do pitta bread?

Yep, in between the paddling pools and the anti-freeze.

It's murder getting pitta bread here. :lol:

Really? I'd have thought with all the Turks in Germany it would all over the shop.

Do they do pitta bread?

Yep, in between the paddling pools and the anti-freeze.

It's murder getting pitta bread here. :lol:

Really? I'd have thought with all the Turks in Germany it would all over the shop.

That's not sensible shelf stacking ;)