Free Trade Inn

Park Life

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I did see a bloke wearing skinny jeans, hair all over the shop, tight t-shirt that was revealing a bit of skinny belly, thinnest scarf you've ever seen, massive sunglasses, reading Proust, while sitting on a high-stool with one leg slung over another... all of this while it's 9ish on a friday and the palce is busy

Blatantly aching for people to notice him.

it was then that I gave up hope for that place ever being anything but a good idea ruined by bad people.

I'd kick his arse back to London and take the greatest of pleasure in doing so. :razz:

Mind you, all I know about Popolo is that I went in there with my family about five years ago for tapas after we'd been to a pantomime at the Tyne Theatre, so I suspect I'm not part of their core clientele either way. :scratchchin:

I think my stance on pretention is well known, but he was just trying too hard. I'd wager he was a bed wetter. Probably owns hair straighteners too.

I think my stance on pretention is well known, but he was just trying too hard. I'd wager he was a bed wetter. Probably owns hair straighteners too.

If he'd tried that in The Black Garter on a Friday night, I'd have given him all due respect mind :scratchchin:

The Barley Mow was the greatest pub ever in its heyday. Who remembers old George Vickers and his harmonica, reputedly a very wealthy man living across the road in the Sally army? As has been said it was firked by Firkin, the twats. The Firkin chain was actually OK in the early days but that's another story.....

The Ouseburn pubs are class but just a bit too far away on match days unfortunately.

Hence the good idea bit. The problem is the people who go there. Too many people trying to be cool.

Eh? But you've just said you like it, and obviously are one of those people who go there?

Last time I went to Poppolo's I found a blue elastoplast floating in my beer.

There's a Lineker's bar at Swan house now btw, replaceing Box, which replaced Bar 55. Just in case anyone wanted somewhere classy to go.

Here's the only boozer on the Observer list within 30 miles of me.......full of CAMRA bores in Arran jumpers and hippies with halitosis attempting to be err "rustic" :scratchchin:

proxy.jpg

Why it makes the grade

The Isle of Purbeck's Square and Compass perches high on a hill above the dramatic Seacombe Cliff. The pub takes its name from the tradition of local quarrying, and its front garden, which gives quenching views of the English Channel, offers the weary a choice of old wood benches and, more recently, stone-carved affairs.

Signature fare

A range of superb ales (around £2.80 a pint) are served from two hatches in the wall. Or try the landlord's home-brewed cider (also £2.80), made from locally sourced apples. Food is simple, but sustaining, and revolves around pasties and pies.

We love the landlord because …

He has struck a perfect blend of tradition and modernity, the unspoiled decor complemented by regular world music events. Visit between 27 July and 7 August for the stone-carving festival and work your own piece of Purbeck stone to the sound of alfresco music.

Meet the locals

A lively mix of local artisan types and in-the-know pilgrims.

Pub trivia

The third room is a museum, containing Jurassic fossils and other coastal curiosities. Also Camra's cider pub of the year.

• Open Mon-Fri 12-3pm, 6-11pm, Sat-Sun 12-11pm – Food served all day – Swanage, BH19 3LF – 01929 439229, squareandcompasspub.co.uk

If anyone's visisting Poole/Bournemouth/East Dorset this summer you'll find this is the best boozer in the area....unusually for a CAMRA award winning pub, it's a cracker :razz:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/26/...angle/Parkstone

pic1564.jpg

Located across the Green from the more famous White Horse, this pub is proving competition for its more widely-known compatriot. Long gone are the hoards of footy fans that rampaged through here on the way to Craven Cottage, and a much more civilised experience is on offer. Thankfully, the lovely Victorian tile work at the front of the pub has been left intact after the last refurb - it positively glows. There's an extensive international wine list, and the beers on the pumps are all Wells and Young's, hardly surprising as they had a massive presence just over the river until recently. The food looks good, if a little pricey (even for London), but that's probably a by-product of where it is. And it doesn't seem to stop the locals tucking in. Worth a look - particularly if you can't get into the pub across the way.

phenomenal blart in this place, helps that the Green across the road is overflowing with skirt.

terrible pub I live just around the corner from it...

Hence the good idea bit. The problem is the people who go there. Too many people trying to be cool.

Eh? But you've just said you like it, and obviously are one of those people who go there?

Last time I went to Poppolo's I found a blue elastoplast floating in my beer.

There's a Lineker's bar at Swan house now btw, replaceing Box, which replaced Bar 55. Just in case anyone wanted somewhere classy to go.

Thing is, I'm rarely there, so I don't have to put up with the worst offenders all that often, so it remains one of my favourite boozers in Newcastle Like alex says, the decor and drinks are good, I also like the music.