Cheapy Netbooks

Geordie Boyo

:razz:

Now you know I only appear on here when I want something...! :scratchchin: Just sold my car, so got a bit of money to spare and was thinking of investing in a new notebook for Uni when I start in Sept.

I was thinking it might be a better idea to order one off tinernet to get my money's worth so I was wondering what all you computer whizzes would recommend?

Fancy a netbook instead of a laptop just because of the shear size to fit in my man-bag.

I'll be using it for Word & Powerpoint docs, but also to download music and films as well as connecting it up to the Telly in the living room from the HDMI socket.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

Try bigpockets.co.uk they do some great deals, however most are refurbs, I got a Dell D600 from them earlier this year and it's fantastic.

Wouldn't reccomend any Sony Vaio. If I was you I'd go for a Mac Book Pro.

"cheapy" Mac Book Pro ? :scratchchin:

Doesn't specify a price, he could of just sold a Lotus...

Just realised where in a recession :razz:

Edited by ChriszyD

:scratchchin:

I sold a Vauxhall Astra Sport, Y reg for £800. Out of that I've paid £516.79 off for the Samsung telly I bought, which doesn't leave me with a decent amount left.

Comet do some good deals. Gonna go up there this afternoon.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/category/...Comp-_-Netbooks

As I say, I'm not that clued up on computers so if there's any you would recommend out of those deal's I'd probably go for it.

I've actually got less than what I should have really.

I started college last sept studying Access to Health part time. My employment offered to deduct £50 per-month from when I first started the course to pay off the £500 it costs, which would have been the last payment this month. They only offered £50 towards the course too, but didn't start deducting it until a few months later. I know I should have checked my wage slip, or statement, but now because of that they are going to deduct £100 in July and Aug and £93 in Sept when I finish 11th Sept to start Uni on the 14th.

I need that money, which comes to £295...! I'm gonna go in Monday and basically tell them they can carry on deducting £50 until I leave and they pay the rest out of courtesy as it was their fucking fault. Fucking forming, but I'm still gonna go out and get a notebook because I need it for Uni. :razz:

Edited by Geordie Boyo

I think you mean netbook. :icon_lol:

I have a Samsung NC10 which you can get for just under 300 quid. I'd recommend it as it looks great, has a good battery life, and has a good keyboard for its size. You'll really need the latter if you plan on using this as your main PC. Remember most netbooks don't have optical drives so you will need to download your software or somehow upload them from a USB stick (no idea how that would work with Word etc).

If I was you I'd think carefully about getting a full sized laptop, unless portability is the most crucial factor. The screen size on netbooks is quite limiting.

I have a Samsung NC10 which you can get for just under 300 quid. I'd recommend it as it looks great, has a good battery life, and has a good keyboard for its size. You'll really need the latter if you plan on using this as your main PC. Remember most netbooks don't have optical drives so you will need to download your software or somehow upload them from a USB stick (no idea how that would work with Word etc).

If I was you I'd think carefully about getting a full sized laptop, unless portability is the most crucial factor. The screen size on netbooks is quite limiting.

I think I would just probably have xp office software emailed to me. that's probably the best way all thou it might take a couple of weeks to receive...!

The screen size isn't great like, so I will be contemplating on that with in mind I'd have a CD drive too with a laptop...... :icon_lol: I'm in three minds now :icon_lol:

3 have a canny deal too http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Laptop_Packages but don't know if the laptop I'd be getting would be worth it....

Edited by Geordie Boyo

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/5...-NP-NC10-KA02UK

I'm on my way up there to Kingston Park now. Really am in two minds with that and the 3 deal.... :icon_lol:

I'd go for the NC10 deal tbh, the customer reviews all rate it highly and it's been reccomended by some people on here. There doesn't seem to be much complaints on it either, possibly the lack of a CD drive, but thats dealt with easily as the netbook has 3 USB ports, so its all good.

I've got one too and it's great. Not the cheapest though.

I am looking for one as well and have been looking at the ASUS eee PC 1000H, ASUS eee PC 1000HE (9 hours of battery life!) and my dad recently got the Lenovo S10, which is pretty amazing as well.

All highly recommended.

Pretty much they are all similar but it depends on what you want. One of the ASUS ones comes with a dedicated graphics card as well but they are pretty much the following specs;

160gb

1.6ghz

10 inch screen

1gig ram - 2 gig ram

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought the Samsung NC10 Netbook from Comet for a cheapy £295. :o Very impressed with it. Just trying to get used to the keypad.

I am having a bit bother using bluetooth. It did find wor' lass's mobile bluetooth, but for some reason it failed to send the file I wanted to from here. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem?

All I have to do now is try and get the best deal for a dongle to hook me up with broadband. Curretnly using Virgin, but will be getting rid of the package to save some money.

Well, I bought the Samsung NC10 Netbook from Comet for a cheapy £295. :o Very impressed with it. Just trying to get used to the keypad.

I am having a bit bother using bluetooth. It did find wor' lass's mobile bluetooth, but for some reason it failed to send the file I wanted to from here. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem?

All I have to do now is try and get the best deal for a dongle to hook me up with broadband. Curretnly using Virgin, but will be getting rid of the package to save some money.

3 seem to be the best for download limits, I think 15GB for £15.

Got my dad an O2 dongle, £2 for a day, £7.50 for a week or £15 for the month.

I like how vodaphone appear to have a faster broadband connection for the same price, plus first three months free then £15 for 12 months, but only 3GB....!

:o

I wonder what the 3.6mb speed will be like for 3 while watching films and how fast it generally is.....it's definetly the best deal going, 24 months for £15, 15gb.....

Does the NC10 have a matt screen or a shiny reflective one?

It's matt and perfectly functional. Just read a review on the new NC20 which apparently has a superb screen. It's supposed to be a good compromise between netbook and laptop, costs about £370.