9 Arsene Wenger

British?

managers of British clubs

But that's not the title jimbo.

"20 Greatest British Managers"

Pedant ! ;)

Guest alex
I agree with no. 1.

Only because of what he did at Aberdeen, it's been all cheque book management since!

Obviously.

Guest alex
Never rated Dalglish.

How many others have won the title with two different clubs?

Clough.

Any more?

Herbert Chapman won it with Huddersfield then Arsenal. Different era but his formation was revolutionary iirc, moving away from 2-3-5 to the 'W M' with a deep lying centre-half.

Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

Herbert Chapman won it with Huddersfield then Arsenal. Different era but his formation was revolutionary iirc, moving away from 2-3-5 to the 'W M' with a deep lying centre-half.

I miss the 2-3-5. I remember playing that shape as a kid, it was all about goals - unfortunately usually a lot against you if you were really shite.

Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

"Inverting the Pyramid"?

Edited by PaddockLad

Guest alex
Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

I miss the 2-3-5. I remember playing that shape as a kid, it was all about goals - unfortunately usually a lot against you if you were really shite.

I never realised you were that old.

Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

To be fair, I was only 5 when he got the Liverpool job and I never even realised he'd won the title 3 times in 5 years. ;)

I've always thought of him as riding on the coat-tails of his predecessors success there though...and of course buying the title at Blackburn.

I can't see Mark Hughes being able to buy the title in the next 2 years like, so it might just be my hatred of the man that's blinded me to his quality.

Guest alex
Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

"Inverting the Pyramid"?

Is that like the Xmas Tree as used by Venables on occasion? Anyway, WM was a flat back 3 with two midfielders in front on them then another two attacking midfielders / deep-lying inside forwards ahead of them and three up front (i.e. two wingers and a centre-forward).

Guest alex
Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

To be fair, I was only 5 when he got the Liverpool job and I never even realised he'd won the title 3 times in 5 years. ;)

I've always thought of him as riding on the coat-tails of his predecessors success there though...and of course buying the title at Blackburn.

I can't see Mark Hughes being able to buy the title in the next 2 years like, so it might just be my hatred of the man that's blinded me to his quality.

I think you're along the right lines of how he went about it though even if it is easier said than done. I don't think he's a genius in anything like the way some of the others were (or indeed, the way he was as a player).

Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

"Inverting the Pyramid"?

Is that like the Xmas Tree as used by Venables on occasion? Anyway, WM was a flat back 3 with two midfielders in front on them then another two attacking midfielders / deep-lying inside forwards ahead of them and three up front (i.e. two wingers and a centre-forward).

No, it's the name of a book on football tactics down the years that I've been reading ;)

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/....do?sku=6340692

I think the phrase refers to the overall change in formations over the years from having the narrow tip of the "pyramid" at the back (i.e. the defence consisting of only 2 fullbacks) when football began to be played with some thought to formation and tactics in the late 1800s to what we have at present where the base of the "pyramid" is at the back and many of the top teams play with only one striker at the tip. We have seen in the last four or five years a very significant devlopment in formations with this idea, the long accepted 4-4-2 becoming less and less prevelent.

Guest alex
Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

"Inverting the Pyramid"?

No, it's the name of a book on football tactics down the years that I've been reading ;)

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/....do?sku=6340692

I think the phrase refers to the overall change in formations over the years from having the narrow tip of the "pyramid" at the back (i.e. the defence consisting of only 2 fullbacks) when football began to be played with some thought to formation and tactics in the late 1800s to what we have at present where the base of the "pyramid" is at the back and many of the top teams play with only one striker at the tip. We have seen in the last four or five years a very significant devlopment in formations with this idea, the long accepted 4-4-2 becoming less and less prevelent.

No, it wasn't from that book it was actually from a big article about the development of formations in the Dec '99 'Millenium' edition of World Soccer magazine. I think I might check that book out though, cheers.

Never rated Dalglish.

Clough.

Any more?

I never realised you were that old.

Cheeky bastid! I'm from Australia, you have to remember they only let us play soccer with a round ball from the mid 80s, so the 70s were like the 1920s in world football.

Interesting, to get U9 and 10s at our club use to playing on a full size field and positional play we use a WM shape but it is interpreted as 3-2(DM)-2(wingers)-3 (with the CF just a little deeper that the strikers.)

So:

W

M