US bingo dollars are funding Israeli settlements

Park Life

For the winning punters chancing their luck at Hawaiian Gardens' charity bingo hall in the heart of one of California's poorest towns, the big prize is $500. The losers walk away with little more than an assurance that their dollars are destined for a good cause.

But the real winners and losers live many thousands of miles away, where the profits from the nightly ritual of numbers-calling fund what critics describe as a form of ethnic cleansing by extremist organisations.

Each dollar spent on bingo by the mostly Latino residents of Hawaiian Gardens, on the outskirts of Los Angeles, helps fund Jewish settlements on Palestinian land in some of the most sensitive areas of occupied East Jerusalem, particularly the Muslim quarter of the old city, and West Bank towns such as Hebron where the Israeli military has forced Arabs out of their properties in their thousands.

'The majority of bingo customers don't realise where their money is going' Link to this audio

Over the past 20 years, the bingo hall has funnelled tens of millions of dollars in to what its opponents — including rabbis serving the Hawaiian Gardens area — describe as an ideologically-driven strategy to grab land for Israel, as well as contributing to influential American groups and thinktanks backing Israel's more hawkish governments.

But the bingo operation, owned by an American Jewish doctor and millionaire, Irving Moskowitz, has taken on added significance in recent weeks as President Barack Obama has laid down a marker to Israel in demanding an end to settlement construction, which the White House regards as a major obstacle to peace."

It makes one wonder.

The link between Bingo & Settlements sounds very tenous.

a guy makes money from a bingo business.

he spends his profits on whatever he wants.

therefore Bingo dollars are funding Israeli settlements..... hmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

its like i sell you a TV.

i go & buy a gun.

i kill someone.

therefore you are funding murder? hmmmm.

therefore Bingo dollars are funding Israeli settlements..... hmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

its like i sell you a TV.

i go & buy a gun.

i kill someone.

therefore you are funding murder? hmmmm.

It's a registered charity that's how they found out where the bulk of the money was going (ie not to local causes).

It's a registered charity that's how they found out where the bulk of the money was going (ie not to local causes).

ah i see. so they think its going to a local good cause, but in reality its up to the owner to decide what a good cause is!

i see the problem.

ah i see. so they think its going to a local good cause, but in reality its up to the owner to decide what a good cause is!

i see the problem.

Well I'm sure the locals weren't aware it was building homes in the West Bank.

I'm not sure Bingo players are capable of deciding what a good cause is for themselves.

On a related note, those protestors outside the BBC and M&S have been completely counterproductive for me. What a bunch of tools.

I'm not sure Bingo players are capable of deciding what a good cause is for themselves.

On a related note, those protestors outside the BBC and M&S have been completely counterproductive for me. What a bunch of tools.

What's that about?

What's that about?

I'm not sure what there motives are, but on several occassions a group of people with palestinian flags have been trying to enforce a boycott of M&S and the BBC. Probably because there's a lot of jews in these organisations? They just come across as pricks is all.

What's that about?

I'm not sure what there motives are, but on several occassions a group of people with palestinian flags have been trying to enforce a boycott of M&S and the BBC. Probably because there's a lot of jews in these organisations? They just come across as pricks is all.

How bizarre. :rolleyes:

I miss those M&S microwave meals, especially the curries. :)

What's that about?

Isn't it simply because M&S trade with Israel?

What's that about?

Isn't it simply because M&S trade with Israel?

Maybe although boycotting Israeli goods will do diddly squat you'd have thought. I think they think the BBC's coverage is biased as well. Or something.

Bingo wings.

:) What's with you today? More clipped and dismissive than we normally expect from you.

You been starting early today :rolleyes: