How far was yesterday away from....

Howaythelads

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Still, if you're happier twisting after 4 wins on the bounce......

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :D

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

The post from isegrim is good reading.

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

3 points off 3rd actually...! :D

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0 :D

53413[/snapback]

To be fair Craig, did you actually watch the match on Saturday?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have sworn we won yesterday like.  We didn't blow them away but they came for a nil-nil and they nearly got it......nearly, but not quite.  Shit game, not a great performance, but 3 points on the board.

Oh and nice comment from the Doc. :redcard:

53185[/snapback]

renewed optimism last heard when winning 8 games or whatever against pub teams last season. Not too far away from the mentioned 4 wins, against poor teams, all of whom had grounds for feeling they at least matched us, or looking at it the other way round, we were as bad as them.

And unfortunately, we still aren't in the top 4/5 position we were in before Souness arrived.

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0 :D

53413[/snapback]

53420[/snapback]

:D

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0  :D

53413[/snapback]

Having played 1 more though :D

The problem is too many people are easily satisfied. No-one would be happier getting beat 3 nowt, but the fact is we do get thumped off average or better teams (Arsenal, Bolton, Man U, Malaga!) and I've seen nothing to suggest we won't in future.

53185[/snapback]

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

53413[/snapback]

53420[/snapback]

53423[/snapback]

Valid point surely? How can you comment on people criticising the performance if you didn't actually see the match?

This reminds me a little bit of Robsons first full season in charge. I thought we rode our luck a lot that season, especially at home. We seemed to get a lot of the decisions and I remember a couple of heart in mouth moments when we should have had players sent off but didn't. Mind, we created more chances than we do now.

This reminds me a little bit of Robsons first full season in charge. I thought we rode our luck a lot that season, especially at home. We seemed to get a lot of the decisions and I remember a couple of heart in mouth moments when we should have had players sent off but didn't. Mind, we created more chances than we do now.

53434[/snapback]

That might just reflect how different the league is now.

Edited by DotBum

53185[/snapback]

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

53413[/snapback]

53420[/snapback]

53423[/snapback]

Valid point surely? How can you comment on people criticising the performance if you didn't actually see the match?

53430[/snapback]

WTF has that got to do with us getting a win??

If we play total shite and still win, why fucking moan about it!?!? We won, we got 3 points and we didn't conceed a goal.

I didn't watch it, I listened to it and then watched the highlights later - I've never said it was a good performance, but then what's more important - playing attractive football or grinding out a result?

Some people will never be satisfied. I guess they'd be happier if we played 'pretty football' and got thumped 3-0  :D

53413[/snapback]

I hate this phrase. It's absolute nonsense. Of course nobody would be happier. But it is about the standards of a squad you have at your disposal and what you make out of it. If you have good players and play "pretty" football good results are inevitable, especially against inferior teams. Good football is not excluding good results. I think a midfield of Solano, Parker and Emre with Michael Owen up front shouldn't be happy with struggling against very poor opposition. The aim has to be higher.

53434[/snapback]

53435[/snapback]

I blame 4-5-1. To be fair, Bagpuss got it spot on yesterday.

53434[/snapback]

53435[/snapback]

53441[/snapback]

Or Saturday even. Retard.

53413[/snapback]

I hate this phrase. It's absolute nonsense. Of course nobody would be happier. But it is about the standards of a squad you have at your disposal and what you make out of it. If you have good players and play "pretty" football good results are inevitable, especially against inferior teams. Good football is not excluding good results. I think a midfield of Solano, Parker and Emre with Michael Owen up front shouldn't be happy with struggling against very poor opposition. The aim has to be higher.

53438[/snapback]

Whether you like the phrase or not, it's still valid....

Often we played 'pretty football' under Keegan and ended up losing by the odd goal so no, good results do not always follow....

The aim can be higher, true but if we can play shite and still win (which Chelsea did a lot of at the start of the season), we've got to be happy, surely?

53185[/snapback]

53191[/snapback]

3 points off 4th tbh.

53195[/snapback]

53413[/snapback]

53420[/snapback]

53423[/snapback]

53430[/snapback]

WTF has that got to do with us getting a win??

If we play total shite and still win, why fucking moan about it!?!? We won, we got 3 points and we didn't conceed a goal.

I didn't watch it, I listened to it and then watched the highlights later - I've never said it was a good performance, but then what's more important - playing attractive football or grinding out a result?

53437[/snapback]

Are you saying the performance isn't important? You would be happy for us to get pummelled for 89 minutes as long as we scored a flukey goal? The problem with taking resulkts in isolation is that it doesn't always tell you how well you are playing. At the the start of the 2002/3 season, we had a shocking start results wise. However, I was completely unconcerned because I knew we were playing well. We came third that season, and got to the second round of the CL.

But this season if our performances don't improve our results will turn to shit. It's hardly rocket science.

53441[/snapback]

Yep, I agree. I don't think Souness is a great manager but 4-5-1 is making it tough for all managers to get teams playing decent football.

53413[/snapback]

53438[/snapback]

Often we played 'pretty football' under Keegan and ended up losing by the odd goal so no, good results do not always follow....

The aim can be higher, true but if we can play shite and still win (which Chelsea did a lot of at the start of the season), we've got to be happy, surely?

53445[/snapback]

But it won't last unless our performances improve.

That bit about Keegan was a total cliche btw.

There has to be a happy medium. A failure to break down average teams yet still beating them is a good result, but it highlights both short and long term problems. If we haven't got either the individuals or a team plan in order to get a result then that doesn't really fill me with optimism. I remember the year we got promoted we played bottom of the table Bristol Rovers and it was like the Alamo. I was pissed off it finished 0-0, but it was just one of those days where nowt when in. This season we've never looked comfortable winners. I hoping it's down to the team not clicking yet. Actually, I'm praying...

53413[/snapback]

53438[/snapback]

53445[/snapback]

Though, in the end it nearly brought Newcastle the title. IMHO by the way to play games to win them instead of just trying not to lose contributed to the fact that Newcastle were a top team at that time.

So. I don't think this phrase is valid at all. Because obviously nobody would be happy to get slaughtered constantly. But why are some people not able to distinguish between being happy about winning and being disappointed about the performance? Just grinding out results might be good enough for a poor team, but for me it's not enough for a good team (against poor teams). Of course Everton were successful last year with this tactics, but look where they are now. In the end normally quality will succeed, so I don't think it would be to bad too demonstrate this quality occasionally. Because if Newcastle keep on playing like how they have played mostly in recent weeks I can't see the club finishing in the top 6. With this kind of performances the team will stand no chance when we play the better teams.

You would be happy for us to get pummelled for 89 minutes as long as we scored a flukey goal?

53446[/snapback]

Quite honestly, yes. Chelsea at times played pretty gash last season but still managed to thrash out results. What do we remember more, those 'lucky' wins or the fact they won the title?

The performance IS important, but it comes a definite second to the result IMO. The Keegan thing is not a cliche, it's fact. So many games we dominated and lost 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 etc.... I'd much rather we'd played shit, got a lucky 1-0 win and ended up winning the league.

It's hardly rocket science.

53446[/snapback]

I quite agree....

You would be happy for us to get pummelled for 89 minutes as long as we scored a flukey goal?

53446[/snapback]

Quite honestly, yes. Chelsea at times played pretty gash last season but still managed to thrash out results. What do we remember more, those 'lucky' wins or the fact they won the title?

The performance IS important, but it comes a definite second to the result IMO. The Keegan thing is not a cliche, it's fact. So many games we dominated and lost 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-3 etc.... I'd much rather we'd played shit, got a lucky 1-0 win and ended up winning the league.

53446[/snapback]

I quite agree....

53457[/snapback]

Comparing us to Chelsea is shite.

Chelsea have an occassional off day and still scrape a win. Most of the time they sweep aside the opposition with ease, and play some great football with it.

Newcastle are playing and have played consistently poor football under Souness. For him to say "Those are the types of games we weren't winning" is crap, because we weren't winning most types of game. When it's the occasional bad game that we scrape and the majority we dominate, then I'll be more positive.

53446[/snapback]

53446[/snapback]

I quite agree....

53457[/snapback]

Utterly absurd to compare us to Chelsea like. You seem to miss my point, and several other peoples, about this run not being sustainable unless performances improve, but ho hum, nothing new there. As long as we can beat a bottom 6 side 1-0 you are happy.....

No doubt you'll peddle the myth we had a poor defence under Keegan as well. :D

I reckon this debate is set to go on for pages and be really really boring.

:D :D

53460[/snapback]

I quite agree....

Love the way i'm 'not allowed' to compare us to Chelsea like....

But then again it DOES destroy their argument somewhat :D

:redcard::D

53460[/snapback]

I quite agree....

53461[/snapback]

Your taking the piss, right? :D

You didn't even see us play and you are comparing us to Chelsea. :puke:

:D :D

53460[/snapback]

I quite agree....

53461[/snapback]

To be fair like, I thought the Chelsea comparison was a load of bollocks too. :redcard: