The top ten teams of the past 25 years

Tooj

Pedro reckons Barnes is the best player he's ever played with by absolutely miles.

he was different class like. shame he never did it for england....or us. he was like a beached whale by the time he rocked up at sjp

I think he did a canny job for us tbf. Obviously he was a shadow of his former self but he had to play as a lone front man on occasions and still did well. He had an excellent game against Man Utd at home and was denied by world class saves from Schmeichel on at least a couple of occasions.

Guest Stevie

I remember that season Liverpool played QPR who were top at the time and beat them 4-0 at Anfield Barnes scored a "worldly" hate that fuckin sayin, and in every single newspaper I seen the next day he got 10. That season he was probably the most worthy winner of footballer of the year there has ever been. Just a shame he was mostly anonymous for England.

Pedro reckons Barnes is the best player he's ever played with by absolutely miles.

he was different class like. shame he never did it for england....or us. he was like a beached whale by the time he rocked up at sjp

Still our top scorer that year though wasn't he? Even though his legs had went you could still see evidence of his footballing brain. Just his body couldn't keep up with it.

Gary Speed was top scorer, Barnes second.

Bear in mind we only scored 35 goals that season!

Guest Stevie

I think he did a canny job for us tbf. Obviously he was a shadow of his former self but he had to play as a lone front man on occasions and still did well. He had an excellent game against Man Utd at home and was denied by world class saves from Schmeichel on at least a couple of occasions.

Had a few canny games, Southampton he played well at home, got a few goals, and a beauty at West Ham I watched in what is now the 1892 club.

Hansen and his 60 back passes to the keeper per game.

Fabulous player though.

No doubt.

Can you believe he only got about 30 caps? Jock Stein preferring Willie Miller and Ferguson not even taking him to Mexico '86!

thing with barnes and waddle is until england gave them security at the back with a sweeper they could never fully express their talents as they were instructed to mark their opposing full back. if either was given freedom, they'd have run riot.....

Hansen and his 60 back passes to the keeper per game.

Fabulous player though.

No doubt.

Can you believe he only got about 30 caps? Jock Stein preferring Willie Miller and Ferguson not even taking him to Mexico '86!

Yeah picking McLeish and Miller just beacuse they were a pair at a "top" scottish club instead of the main man in the best team in Europe always made me laugh.

The Liverpool side of the 87-90 era was by far the most dominant side I've ever witnessed.

Dominant is perhaps the wrong word - they were certainly the most attractive/flare-ful of the Liverpool teams of the 70s/80s but I'd say the previous team of about 84 were more dominant in being more "professional" - ie win at all cost cunts.

that team of the late 80s were so good to watch though. pedro, digger barnes, rush/aldridge, houghton et al different class

Their 'pass and move' tactics were a joy to watch :lol:

I remember the game in 87 when they stuffed us 4-1 at home - we didn't actually play that bad that day, just that they were immense.

Guest Stevie
The Liverpool side of the 87-90 era was by far the most dominant side I've ever witnessed.

Dominant is perhaps the wrong word - they were certainly the most attractive/flare-ful of the Liverpool teams of the 70s/80s but I'd say the previous team of about 84 were more dominant in being more "professional" - ie win at all cost cunts.

that team of the late 80s were so good to watch though. pedro, digger barnes, rush/aldridge, houghton et al different class

Their 'pass and move' tactics were a joy to watch :lol:

I remember the game in 87 when they stuffed us 4-1 at home - we didn't actually play that bad that day, just that they were immense.

I still remember Steve Nicol's third most strikers would've hit it in to the keeper but his deft touch over Kelly showed what they had right through the team, which was bloody good footballers in every position.

Still our top scorer that year though wasn't he? Even though his legs had went you could still see evidence of his footballing brain. Just his body couldn't keep up with it.

Barnes & Shearer were joint top scorer actually...

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/players/top%20s...rs_history.html

Not in the League, 1997/8

According to the premier league website anyway.

Not in the League, 1997/8

According to the premier league website anyway.

Have a look here Tom and change the drop down to 1997/98

http://www.soccerbase.com/squad_season.sd?teamid=1823

Speed scored 1 league & 1 FA Cup goal for us in 1997/98. Barnes scored 6 in the league and 1 in Europe. :lol:

:mellow: