Tooj

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting fed up of the Beatles hype now.

:icon_lol:

Only took 45 years too.

Since Paul started going on Pop Factor it's gotten rreally fucking nauseous. An annual event now all this fucking hype about a rock group. Their influence on music is over-egged as well and American blues artists don't get the credit they're owed for their influence, they all died broke anyway. What a motherfucker.

Yoko is such a prat :icon_lol: She tried it on with Paul before she snagged John, reckoned she'd never heard of the Beatles....

She was just a session knitter before she hooked up with Lennon.

The second, well, it's hypothetical and just an opinion I guess. As an aside, I'm reading a book about the history of science at the minute (bear with me). The author points out that with very few exceptions (possibly Gallileo, Newton, Einstein) other scientists would have filled in the voids had the great scientists not existed, and the timeline would not have been greatly affected. Even the likes of Newton were probably 'replaceable' given an extra 30 or so years. So what I'm saying is, applying this to music, perhaps in a parallel Universe where John and Paul never met, music in the UK would have been held back a few years but would ultimately have a similar evolution? Pure speculation, obviously. :icon_lol:

As I understand it, there were a number of "similar" bands about at the start of the 60s and The Beatles were just the best/most popular. Now it may be that that popularity was the driving force of a musical revolution but I think the existence of other bands suggests that their place was more as the vanguard for what was happening at a broad grassroots level rather than as the be all and end all.

I think you also have to look at the cultural changes happening at the time which were integral in change in society which in someway demanded "revolutionary" music which I'd say had evolved from pure rock and roll.

I'd also add that invoking the articles CT posted and also Fish's suggestion above there is a tendency to go with the flow and be "cool" in liking The Beatles which has an Emperors new clothes type context - it can sometimes be seen as heresy almost to say you don't like them.

This is true - there were a lot of similar bands around in the Uk at the time - based on the lineup of the Shadows but with decent vocalists

thinking back the Beatles played a tougher, more R&B (the original definition) sort of music which got them attention over the more "poptastic" music of say Gerry & the Pacemakers

Then they wrote their own songs - and so many that other people were lining up to sing them

Together that blasted them into the stratosphere

I always thought it was interesting how the Beatles and the Beach Boys vied for top spot - for a while

then Brian Wilson went over the edge...................

Aye tbf I'm the last person to call for bannings on here due to the history of the place and it's unwritten constitution, but can we have him for racism this time and just call it a day?

but can we have him for racism this time and just call it a day?

Black dude????? How is that racism?

For fuck sake mate grow up

Its not my fault some fat bird questioned your sexual powers in your local pub.

You know what I'm getting at. You wouldn't be making the connection to Abi Titmus (and all that carry on) if that was all you were implying. You're basically choosing to highlight that because in your head there's summat off about it.

I don't need to grow up, it's just palpable that you're a complete cunt.

PS and she was shagging a 'white dude' from the USA an arl just for completeness. That ponce of a dancing partner. Not that his ethnicity would have featured in your derisory attempts at a put down of course.