2nd Hard Drive

peasepud

I had a 750Gb external HD on which the casing has become broken and cant be used externally any more.

So I ripped the drive out and installed it in my main PC, setting the jumper to slave and changing the BIOS the ensure my original HD is still the boot one.

All is good so far, PC boots up and normal C Drive is still C Drive.

Second Drive however is showing in Device Manager as Working Properly but doesnt have a volume associated to it.

I know that I can go into Computer Management and "Initialize Disk" but I canot find anywhere that will confirm if its ok to do that, looking at the fact it rewrites the partition table Im wary that I'll lose the data on there.

Anyone confirm what I should do next?

im not 100% sure on this but....

disk initilisation iirc prepares the disk for use and should happen automatically in the background.

i also beilieve your data will be wiped

The only thing I can think of is there's some difference between what used to be a USB (or firewire or whatever) connection acting as a conduit to the drive from the PC and the fact that it's now IDE or SATA connected.

Can you not just buy another enclosure and stick the drive in there? Seems like they'd be pretty cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...