Atmosphere today

manctoon

...was absolutely gash at times.

I was stood (as you look at the pitch) on the left hand side of our end, towards the front, and there were entire sections of about 30/40 lads not singing all game.

Why the fuck travel for 10 hours at the weekend only to stand there in silence.

Some of the lads at the back did a good job in getting some songs going, but overall it was embarassing at times.

I was stood (as you look at the pitch) on the left hand side of our end, towards the front, and there were entire sections of about 30/40 lads not singing all game.

Some of the lads at the back did a good job in getting some songs going, but overall it was embarassing at times.

it's the tension man - all unbelievers no doubt, waiting for things to go wrong.

ffs don't criticise lads who have done a 650 mile round trip - they were there and that is what is important.

:)

My dad's been going to football matches for over 50 years and never sang once! Shouted plenty mind you and jumped around (despite a fucked ankle for 25 years) like a demented mong whenever we scored.

Freedom of choice you know - just because you don't join in with the singing doesn't make you any less of a fan.

Freedom of choice you know - just because you don't join in with the singing doesn't make you any less of a fan.

In my book, it does.

Standing for 90 minutes and singing is what makes us stand out from other clubs. I agree with Acca that they deserve praise for making the journey, but I just don't get the mentality of people who just stand still throughout the game.

When Reading came to SJP and sat down and didn't sing for the whole game, I felt sorry for them and wondered what they get out of following their team.

We need to get the atmosphere buzzing again at Blackpool (though it'll be hard with no roof).

Edited by manctoon

In my book, it does.

Standing for 90 minutes and singing is what makes us stand out from other clubs. I agree with Acca that they deserve priase for making the journey, but I just don't get the mentality of people who just stand still throughout the game.

When Reading came to SJP and sat down and didn't sing for the whole game, I felt sorry for them and wondered what they get out of following their team.

We need to get the atmosphere buzzing again at Blackpool (though it'll be hard with no roof).

thats ridiculous!? Just becuase you don't sing it makes you less of a fan. I know and i'm sure you do, people who've been going to the games home and away for year who don't sing! No lesser than any other fan!

thats ridiculous!? Just becuase you don't sing it makes you less of a fan. I know and i'm sure you do, people who've been going to the games home and away for year who don't sing! No lesser than any other fan!

Alright, say we were 1-0 down, up against it, hostile home crowd.

You're trying to sing to get behind the lads, surrounded by about 30 Mags who are with their girlfriends and won't sing.

You think that's okay?

Our home atmosphere is getting better by game because everyone in the L7 corner makes an effort to sing.

Our away following should be the same.

If they don't want to contribute, they should fuck off and watch it on the box.

Edited by manctoon

It's because people are being watered down as we go on, life is becoming more and more restricted, and the younger people in the world's personalities are being squeezed out of them, as opposed to people who were 20, in the 1980's. It's general ignorance as to why shoes off if you love the toon makes the proper fans look like mugs on the whole. It's just life, football fans, not just of NUFC are not what they once were. I can remember going to games where the atmosphere was frenzied, and I mean like pitbull with a sheeps leg frenzied, it doesn't happen now.

Alright, say we were 1-0 down, up against it, hostile home crowd.

You're trying to sing to get behind the lads, surrounded by about 30 Mags who are with their girlfriends and won't sing.

You think that's okay?

Our home atmosphere is getting better by game because everyone in the L7 corner makes an effort to sing.

Our away following should be the same.

If they don't want to contribute, they should fuck off and watch it on the box.

That last sentence is utter bollocks.

I sing at the matches and I was singing at Cardiff yesterday but I would never criticise people who don't. Anyone who travelled down to Cardiff to see a game thats live on tv deserves credit in my opinion.

Your earlier comment about thats what distinguishes us from other fans is also wide of the mark. Whilst we are one of the best in terms of creating atmosphere, there are plenty of other groups of away fans who are just as noisy as us, particularly outside the premiership. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise

Sometimes I like to take in a game without being pissed out of my head and jumping around. Maybe i'm just getting old though....

I've tried it twice in the last year, and it's honestly not that bad being sober at the match.

Sometimes I like to take in a game without being pissed out of my head and jumping around. Maybe i'm just getting old though....

In one game, I only stood up when we scored. And we didn't score.

I understand if some members unfriend me now, but I had to confess.

That's crap lol almost laughable. Because people don't sing doesn't mean they are any less of a fan, to say they are is absurd.

Why?

The whole idea of debate is that you state your position and then state your reason for having that position to give other people a chance to counter it.

I sing at the matches and I was singing at Cardiff yesterday but I would never criticise people who don't. Anyone who travelled down to Cardiff to see a game thats live on tv deserves credit in my opinion.

Your earlier comment about thats what distinguishes us from other fans is also wide of the mark. Whilst we are one of the best in terms of creating atmosphere, there are plenty of other groups of away fans who are just as noisy as us, particularly outside the premiership. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise

Well, I've yet to see evidence at SJP this season. Reading's support was embarassing. Leicester at least stood up, but sang naff all and Sheffield Wednesday had the numbers but made no noise. Huddersfield were the best, I think.

I'm not saying we're unique as a fan base, I'm saying I don't understand why anyone would travel for so long only to stand and watch the match in silence.

It takes so little effort to sing, yet people seem more fucking interested in chatting on their phones or fucking off downstairs half an hour into the game.

That's crap lol almost laughable. Because people don't sing doesn't mean they are any less of a fan, to say they are is absurd.

Why?

The whole idea of debate is that you state your position and then state your reason for having that position to give other people a chance to counter it.

Yes and i think near enough every other person on here has agreed your point is a joke.

Why?

Yes and i think near enough every other person on here has agreed your point is a joke.

I don't think you're quite understanding this.

Answer this simple question: Why do you think it's a joke?

Why?

I don't think you're quite understanding this.

Answer this simple question: Why do you think it's a joke?

because its a free country?....what are you going to do?....stand at the turnstiles at Blackpool and Ipswich shouting "you'd better fuckin sing mind ya bastaaads!"?

I was there yeateday as well and we were about as vocal as usual at an away game....there are lull's in atmoasphere/singing at most games...especially last season...but overall we gave a good account of ourselves, as usual....mind I thought theyd be a bit more vocal...disappointed in that, and sometimes you need the opposing fans to be up for it as well.

Well, I've yet to see evidence at SJP this season. Reading's support was embarassing. Leicester at least stood up, but sang naff all and Sheffield Wednesday had the numbers but made no noise. Huddersfield were the best, I think.

I'm not saying we're unique as a fan base, I'm saying I don't understand why anyone would travel for so long only to stand and watch the match in silence.

It takes so little effort to sing, yet people seem more fucking interested in chatting on their phones or fucking off downstairs half an hour into the game.

I sort of agree with part of what your saying, but personally I wouldn't be telling people who travelled all the way down to Cardiff on a Sunday afternoon to fuckoff and watch it on the tv just because they choose not to sing - some of those fans who choose not to sing will no doubt be some of our loyalist and lets be realistic, our away support is not as big as it used to be

I agree that we have a unique fan base as well, we are amongst the most passionate and proud in England, I think more than anywhere else (in England) the club represents the area, the people and the history. I also think we have the most boozy fans as well! Ive been to quite a few games not involving newcastle over the years though, often at a lower level, and some of those away fans have been superb in terms of backing their team

well i've sang at the game ever since I was a kid... i'm no more of a fan than my old man (who's been going for longer than 80s and a little bit older than 20 Stevie :)) despite the fact that he doesn't sing a word. Like I said he makes his opinions know but he doesn't sing...

To say he's less of a fan because of that though is fucking feeding the media frenzy who love to rip the piss out of us!