Dehumidifiers

luckyluke

Thanks to my tight arse flatmate, we have been living in a flat I consider pretty substandard for the last three months. To add insult to injury, the twat had first choice of rooms and mine is rather damp. This has been tolerable whilst it's been pretty mild, but I am not looking forward to the same sort of shit in the winter, so am considering purchasing a dehumidifer.

Does anyone have any experience of these devices?

Do they work?

Can anyone recommend a particular model?

Do they help with air purification e.g. dust as well?

Now you're talking my language :lol:

Firstly, they are cheap to buy. These days you can pick them up under £100 from B&Q.

Do they work? Yes. When it runs you usually have two types. the most common, collect condensate (water) in a tray that you have to empty. the other type is plumbed / piped direct to a drain.

If it is just for your own room, then you want the smallest one possible. Typically you buy them for a whole house and leave all the doors open etc. For your own, just make sure you keep the door shut and let it run.

Example

Running cost these days should not be that high. Look for the ECA rating (ABCDE thing like on a fridge) and try to get one "A". Look for its consumption like - Power Input: 987w. Lower the better.

Also have a look at Ebac

:o

I had one in my university house. I wasn't sure how effective it was until I came back after the summer to find mould all over my bedroom...

Did you try switching it on? :lol:

Mind, you shouldnt get much mould in the summer either.... I'd be looking for old socks...