The forgotten story of ... Danish Dynamite

Meenzer

It's just what this place needs. :lol:

Anyway, I was thinking about Mexico '86 today after this was brought up. Some great moments. I remember watching the 1/4 final against Argentina on a big screen in a social club and virtually the whole room applauded Maradona's wonder goal. Amazing given the context. I was gutted at the time like. Other than that there was the aforementioned display by Denmark against Uruguay. There was the flourishing of the Lineker / Beardsley partnership against Poland in particular. Another stand-out was Negrete's (sp?) volleyed goal (can't remember who it was against). Also, I remember the strange feeling of wanting West Germany to win the final purely because of the opposition. Game of the tournament for me though was France v Brazil in (I think) the 1/4 final. Two brilliant attacking sides who were (especially in the case of the Brazilians) a bit past their sell-by date. France were desperately unlucky iirc.

It was a quality game and alongside England v Argentina will go down as a WC classic. I think the reasons for that are the quality of the players, the stature of the countries and the stand out memories. However the game of the tournament for me was this...

The best English moment for me was Lineker's hattrick. No one even thought we'd win that game, 3-0 up half time :D

Negrete's goal was mint, was against someone like Iraq or Bulgaria iirc.

We have to win the World Cup this time. I think it's our last chance for maybe 10 years. We can win it, I desperately hope we do. When you start kidding yourself on thinking there's sides with more quality. Look at our best 11, would many of those individuals get in other top sides, I think at least five would get in any side, we have a chance.

Anyway, I was thinking about Mexico '86 today after this was brought up. Some great moments. I remember watching the 1/4 final against Argentina on a big screen in a social club and virtually the whole room applauded Maradona's wonder goal. Amazing given the context. I was gutted at the time like. Other than that there was the aforementioned display by Denmark against Uruguay. There was the flourishing of the Lineker / Beardsley partnership against Poland in particular. Another stand-out was Negrete's (sp?) volleyed goal (can't remember who it was against). Also, I remember the strange feeling of wanting West Germany to win the final purely because of the opposition. Game of the tournament for me though was France v Brazil in (I think) the 1/4 final. Two brilliant attacking sides who were (especially in the case of the Brazilians) a bit past their sell-by date. France were desperately unlucky iirc.

It was a quality game and alongside England v Argentina will go down as a WC classic. I think the reasons for that are the quality of the players, the stature of the countries and the stand out memories. However the game of the tournament for me was this...

The best English moment for me was Lineker's hattrick. No one even thought we'd win that game, 3-0 up half time :D

We have to win the World Cup this time. I think it's our last chance for maybe 10 years. We can win it, I desperately hope we do. When you start kidding yourself on thinking there's sides with more quality. Look at our best 11, would many of those individuals get in other top sides, I think at least five would get in any side, we have a chance.

I think looking at it objectively, Spain are a better side but the best sides don't always win and after them we're probably as good as anyone else. I agree we've got a chance and the weather in South Africa at that time of won't be a problem as far as England is concerned either. You need a bit of luck like. Lets hope we get it.

I think looking at it objectively, Spain are a better side but the best sides don't always win and after them we're probably as good as anyone else. I agree we've got a chance and the weather in South Africa at that time of won't be a problem as far as England is concerned either. You need a bit of luck like. Lets hope we get it.

Every team that's won the World Cup has carried that bit of luck, Brazil pissed it in 2002, but Beckham should've put us 2-0 up in the QF, and that would've been it for them even then. I think every country in the world has inherent flaws which can be traced back over many different teams going in to the past. The German one is technical ineptitude, the Italian one is restrictive tactics, the Brazilian one in my view is arrogance, the English one generally certainly over the last 30 years, has been tactical awareness, and we could not have anyone better in charge to counter our general footballing flaw.

Aye, I think Capello is a massive factor. Not just his knowledge but the knock-on effect he has on the players, both in terms of giving them confidence (because he knows what he's doing) but also keeping them on their toes. As an aside, Owen's face on Wednesday night :lol:

We're still suffering that little 15 20 minute period where we seem to switch off though, against the better sides later on that will kill us

I know what you mean but I think that's because we've had nothing to play for since we qualified as well. We also traditionally struggle against the weaker sides. It's not a bad thing to have a bit of room for improvement either. You don't want to be peaking too early etc. I'm not saying we'll win it because, in all honesty, I never expect us to win anything anymore, but I think there's actually some substance to the optimism this time round.

Aye, I think Capello is a massive factor. Not just his knowledge but the knock-on effect he has on the players, both in terms of giving them confidence (because he knows what he's doing) but also keeping them on their toes. As an aside, Owen's face on Wednesday night :lol:

What happened with Owen? I missed the game.

All the players who took any part in the qualifying campaign were there as guests (if they weren't in the squad). It kept going to Owen and he looked glum as fuck.

All the players who took any part in the qualifying campaign were there as guests (if they weren't in the squad). It kept going to Owen and he looked glum as fuck.

He always does, he's like a robot. When he was 15 he was speaking to the press like Roy Hodgson. A very mechanical man.

He always does, he's like a robot. When he was 15 he was speaking to the press like Roy Hodgson. A very mechanical man.

Too much football too young.

We're still suffering that little 15 20 minute period where we seem to switch off though, against the better sides later on that will kill us

I know what you mean but I think that's because we've had nothing to play for since we qualified as well. We also traditionally struggle against the weaker sides. It's not a bad thing to have a bit of room for improvement either. You don't want to be peaking too early etc. I'm not saying we'll win it because, in all honesty, I never expect us to win anything anymore, but I think there's actually some substance to the optimism this time round.

I think the optimism around Euro 2004 was rightly justified. I thought we, and in particular, Rooney, was fantastic in that tournament and I reckon, had we not capitulated against Portugal, we'd have won it.

I think the optimism around Euro 2004 was rightly justified. I thought we, and in particular, Rooney, was fantastic in that tournament and I reckon, had we not capitulated against Portugal, we'd have won it.

If he hadn't got injured, aye.

i think we are one of 6 teams, that theoretically ( injuries and form permitting) can go all the way in the next world cup.

brazil are my favourites, then spain. if we are to get to the final after another tiring season, everyone will have to be playing at their maximum. i reckon we still need a world class keeper and a partner for terry at the back that doesn't keep fucking up. also right back is a slight weakness. johnsons great going forward.... but we need a more defensively minded alternative to help close games out...

i think we are one of 6 teams, that theoretically ( injuries and form permitting) can go all the way in the next world cup.

brazil are my favourites, then spain. if we are to get to the final after another tiring season, everyone will have to be playing at their maximum. i reckon we still need a world class keeper and a partner for terry at the back that doesn't keep fucking up. also right back is a slight weakness. johnsons great going forward.... but we need a more defensively minded alternative to help close games out...

The conditions will suit us for once too. That time of year in South Africa = cool and rainy.