Got a few hours to kill?

Angelus71

It doesnt take Columbo to deduce that it went up in 68 and came down before 71 then

No shit Sherlock- the mystery bit is why it went up :lol:

Looking at the 71 pic, the road has been narrowed, I'm guessing this had something to do with it( what tho, I don't know).

Hmm . . . why would someone build a bridge over a busy road :D

Can I vote twice Besty?

I have actually put a second vote on for you MF :lol:

:D

(Found another pic of the bridge dated 1970, so it only stood for 1968-1971 max.

as you said earlier, it looked a very substantial affair for a temporary bridge.)

Strange.

Bookmarked. Nice one. I always think it's mental trying to imagine Northumberland Street being part of the A1.

Aye and no Swan House roundabout, just a straight road up.

Just wiki'ed it and it was part of the A1 until 1975 apparently.

I'm 41 and I remember buses going up and down Northumberland St.

Cannot remember the bridge at the bottom, mind.

Aye there was a bus stop outside C&A, it's not that long ago, 22-25 years.

Pretty certain that photo claiming to be Northumberland St in 1971 is bollocks. The road's been narrowed with laybys, flower pots and benches - pretty certain that all happened circa mid 80s.

This one amused me - might be a sketch drawing of Leazes Terrace rather than a photo but going from the parkland in the foreground it's evidently pre- SJP when Leazes Park continued all the way down to Strawberry Place.

4002637904_d4a445048d.jpg

Pretty certain that photo claiming to be Northumberland St in 1971 is bollocks. The road's been narrowed with laybys, flower pots and benches - pretty certain that all happened circa mid 80s.

This one amused me - might be a sketch drawing of Leazes Terrace rather than a photo but going from the parkland in the foreground it's evidently pre- SJP when Leazes Park continued all the way down to Strawberry Place.

4002637904_d4a445048d.jpg

Fairly certain it's correct in it's dating like craig- the parked car, the kid with his sister on his shoulders is wearing half mast "bags", the shop front graphics all see to fit.

Also the fact it's virtually deserted- probably taken on a Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is mental...

4001647447_4c4d660072_o.jpg

I can't imagine Percy Street looking like that - presume Mark Toneys is just about where John Lewis' multi-storey car park is?

This one is mental...

I can't imagine Percy Street looking like that - presume Mark Toneys is just about where John Lewis' multi-storey car park is?

Mark Toney's is still there isn't it, but on the opposite side now?

Is this Tillys? or am I way off course?

4002808458_d1452cdc62.jpg

Way off course I think, I think that's near the law courts now, picture actually taken from the Tyne.

This one is mental...

The hut on the left is still exactly the same isn't it?

Oxfam these days?

This one is mental...

Oxfam these days?

Craig was right. It's not. That's Morden Street on the sign....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?source=ig&am...mp;t=h&z=19

Entrance to Eldon Gardens car park.

This one is mental...

Oxfam these days?

The must o been pre 1977 that pic cos thats when the brown multi story went up. Just round the corner from there was the farmers rest, and the NUSC shop, used to get my away bus tickets there.

Funny how those shitty prefabs are still there when you think of all the new buildings that sprung up around there.

Aye that cleaning shop and the Ladbrokes.

However it remains strange, who builds a solid bridge to last three years?

The intention was obviously for a permanent, so it does beg the question, why was the bridge brought down?

Too many mini suicide attempts? People went off bridges and favoured beletia beacons?

Who knows!

I asked my mum & dad today why the foot bridge was taken down.

The answer? Because no-one used it. Simple!