Living in the shadows

Craig

I've stuck this one in the football forum but I think we can extend it for any sport.

Was watching ESPN Classics earlier today and they showed the England v Brazil match from 1970 and also the WC Final when Brazil destroyed Italy 4-1. Not olde enough to have witnessed it first hand but having seen archive footage of the era, it's my opinion that the Brazilian side of '70 was the greatest footballing side there's ever been.

That said, England (although of course we were defending World Champions at the time) ran them very close. It's the game that should have been the final and, had Banks played against Germany in the QF and Charlton hadn't been withdrawn to be rested for the Semis, I think it would have happened. We were probably a better side in 1970 than we had been 4 years earlier when we won it, but we were still behind Brazil in terms of ability and 'living in their shadow'

What other examples of this have there been over the years? We've had dominance in different sports:

Liverpool, football, 80s

Tyson, boxing, late 80s

Senna, F1, late 80s

Sampras, tennis, 90s

Schumacher, F1, 90s/00s

Woods, golf, late 90s/00s

Federer, tennis, 00s

Manchester United, football, 90s/00s

In any of those instances (or any other for that matter) was there anyone living in their shadows - individuals or teams who, had the dominant force not been there, you feel were a cut about the rest?

Never really thought about it when composing the thread Dr Ken but aye, we're a prime example from back in 95/96. Without Man Utd we'd have absolutely walked that season (and probably edged the next one too - despite a managerial change halfway through...).

No team other than the cantona-inspired Man Utd would've caught us in 95-96 ;)

Seeing such an attack-minded team lift the biggest prize could've made a big difference to the way other sides approached the league too.

Cantona always gets all of the credit, but for me, Schmeichel was the main man for Man Utd that season.

You could also say that Leeds from about 67 to 76 were generally one of the best teams but lost out to a series of one-offs (plus the Scouse Cunts) in terms of the real dominance that they could/should have had.