PaddockLad

Darren Bent's old dear abused at Wigan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...loss-Wigan.html

Darren Bent's mother racially abused in Sunderland's loss against Wigan

By Mark Ryan

Last updated at 1:06 PM on 29th November 2009

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

Furious: Darren Bent

England striker Darren Bent was furious after his mother, Shirley, said she had been racially abused before Sunderland’s 1-0 defeat at Wigan yesterday.

A Sunderland fan is alleged to be the offender, giving rise to fears that Bent may even demand a transfer.

Bent said on Twitter that the incident was an ‘absolute disgrace’ and warned: ‘I won’t stand for that.’

A Sunderland spokesman said: ‘Behaviour of this kind is totally unacceptable to our football club.’

Shirley Bent is understood to have stayed at the match and spoke with her son afterwards.

Police in Greater Manchester and Northumbria last night launched an investigation. Inspector Michael Eddlestone said: ‘Greater Manchester Police are investigating reports that a woman was racially abused at the match.’

Meanwhile, Sunderland will work with their local police to try to find the culprit.

A Northumbria police spokesman confirmed: ‘The victim will be interviewed by us with a view to finding the offender.’

Greater Manchester Police added: ‘We will use CCTV footage or whatever is necessary to find out what happened and identify the alleged offender and we will be in close contact with Northumbria Police.

‘If there is sufficient evidence against an individual, he will have to be brought down to Wigan Magistrates Court to face charges because the offence took place here.’

Bent, 25, moved north from Spurs in summer for a fee that could rise to £16.5million and played for England against Brazil in Doha

Same thing happened to Andy Cole's mam when he played here.

My mate mentioned today that when we signed Andy Cole he was in the pub with his brother and a couple of lads started saying "Oh he'd better be good like or I'll have my bananas ready to throw at him." :razz:

This dude is a pleasant chap...

http://twitter.com/sunderlandpride

He slags off Bent for going public, he slags off Simon Bird for having the audacity to write an article about it.

Further down his twitter page, he's encouraging various people to sign a petition to allow those involved in football related violence back in to the stadium of light.

26 year old from CLS being questioned about it. Wonder if I know him?

Apologies for being a mong, but what does CLS stand for?

It's what mackem/Durhamites refer to as Chester Le Street, like we'd say HOTW for Heddon On The Wall...or maybe we wouldn't.