Toon world cup bid successful

KingHarkinian

plymouth? milton keynes? bristol?

fair play that notts is a big town with rich football history from clough's days at forrest but there's a lot of work to be done on the stadium if they're to host a game.

fair play that notts is a big town with rich football history from clough's days at forrest but there's a lot of work to be done on the stadium if they're to host a game.

Always political though innit?

Nottingham-stadium(2).jpg

who's going to fill that ground every week after the world cup? (assuming we get it)

might not be a bad time to try and get some government money to extend the gallowgate so it matches the level 7 parts of the ground.

Nice plan... shame they can't decide where to locate it though! :lol:

As for Plymouth - they went with the angle that they would be the only venue that's located entirely within a park so it would be a unique experience to walk to the ground through parkland. Obviously their Chief Exec has never approached SJP from the north (or Liverpool & Everton from Stanley Park) tbh.

I'm more suprised that both Newcastle AND Sunderland had successful bids. Thought with the area being so far north there'd onbly be one winner. The policing cost model is going to be interesting viewing - keep an eye on rises in your council tax :(

as far as i know due to the metro they cant extend that side of the ground as the weight above the metro would make it unsafe

We've done all this several times over - it's possible, the plans were drawn up long time ago (going on for 10 years ago now) and just before Ashley came along, Shepherd announced his intention to commit to the project.

It won't happen now though - not since all the carry on over the last 15 months.

who's going to fill that ground every week after the world cup? (assuming we get it)

might not be a bad time to try and get some government money to extend the gallowgate so it matches the level 7 parts of the ground.

So you're having a go at the Plymouth bid because they won't be able to their ground but you think the government should pay to extend the one we can't fill? :lol:

as far as i know due to the metro they cant extend that side of the ground as the weight above the metro would make it unsafe

We've done all this several times over - it's possible, the plans were drawn up long time ago (going on for 10 years ago now) and just before Ashley came along, Shepherd announced his intention to commit to the project.

It won't happen now though - not since all the carry on over the last 15 months.

if we go up and ashley walks it's still feasible.

So you're having a go at the Plymouth bid because they won't be able to their ground but you think the government should pay to extend the one we can't fill? :lol:

2018 is a long way off.

i think we are capable of filling a bigger ground if we are promoted and ashley fucks off. so if there is government money to be spent on building new stadiums or improving current ones then why not? we filled a 52k stadium for years when we had a shite team. i'm sure if we put a half decent top flight side out then we would fill a 60k ground

lots of ifs and buts but i can't imagine forest, bristol or plymouth ever getting 40k+ crowds. can you? i think that's the minimum capacity for world cup venues.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Perhaps it's being reduced after the tournament. Still daft logic either way to have a pop given we couldn't even fill it when KK came back and we were in the PL.

Adrian Durham on talkshite: "Milton Keynes..the town that stole a football club"

He's got a point like, its hard on football towns like Derby and Leicester

Also Plymouth and Bristol get in due to geography, and possibly the lack of a bid from Southampton and Pompey.

So will there be games at Anfield and Goodison? OT and Eastlands? which ones in London?

Perhaps it's being reduced after the tournament. Still daft logic either way to have a pop given we couldn't even fill it when KK came back and we were in the PL.

if we were doing well, the crowds would come back. we were getting 52k for a decade when the team was shite every year apart from 3 or 4 under sir bob. 60k would be no problem if we were top 6 material again plus it would make the ground less lop sided.

would plymouth, bristol, milton keynes or even forest ever get crowds half that big? maybe forest. but surely not the others

Edited by Dr Gloom

if we were doing well, the crowds would come back. we were getting 52k for a decade when the team was shite every year apart from 3 or 4 under sir bob. 60k would be no problem if we were top 6 material again plus it would make the ground less lop sided.

would plymouth, bristol, milton keynes or even forest ever get crowds half that big? maybe forest. but surely not the others

You've already made that point, no need to repeat yourself.

So will there be games at Anfield and Goodison? OT and Eastlands? which ones in London?

I've read somewhere that the breakdown is:

London - 3 venues (Wembley, Emirates & one of Olympic Stadium/new Spurs stadium)

Manchesster - 2 venues (Old Trafford & COM Stadium)

Liverpool - 1 venue (New Anfield or Anfield (if new one isn't built).

Newcastle - 1 venue (St James Park)

Sunderland - 1 venue (Stadium of Light)

Birmingham - 1 venue (Villa Park)

Leeds - 1 venue (Elland Road)

Nottingham - 1 venue (new Nottingham Forest Stadium)

Sheffield - 1 venue (Hillsborough)

Bristol - 1 venue (new Ashton Vale Stadium)

Plymouth - 1 venue (Home Park)

Milton Keynes - 1 venue (MK Stadium)

i take it you agree with the sentiment then

Adrian Durham on talkshite: "Milton Keynes..the town that stole a football club"

He's got a point like, its hard on football towns like Derby and Leicester

I disagree tbh. For starters the club decided to relocate - not the other way around. Milton Keynes have invested in their club from day one, a club that for years had no investment whatsoever and for the final 10 years of its existance, didn't even have its own ground.)

I think they're deserving of it tbh - fair play to them for running as a candidate and actually getting there.

I'm quite happy both Newcastle and Sunderland got it. More football for the North East if we get it.

However I think Sunderland need to do a bit work on the area surrounding the ground and perhaps give the clientele a better place to shop than joplins. :lol:

Whether he does or not, he nailed it with his earlier comment about politics. You have to be in it to win it and all that...

Whether he does or not, he nailed it with his earlier comment about politics. You have to be in it to win it and all that...

sure...and we're in it now which is why we could be in with a shout of getting some taxpayer cash to extend the gallowgate especially as the plans were already in place.

extending the east stand look too problematic and tbh we prob would never sell out a ground that was level 7 all the way around but i reckon a 60k-ish capacity st james with three sides (including the gallowgate) all the same level would look the bollocks plus we have the potential to fill it....if you take the long view. got to be worth a punt if you ask me.