Terry sacked as captain

Guest Stevie

Man Utd started this anti England thing when they were starting to get good, and the scousers copied them.

Wouldn't argue with you that Man Utd started it, Stevie, but it was nowt to do with 'starting to get good'.

The anti England thing started after Beckham got sent off at the world cup and became a national hate figure for the country. Beckham was getting stick at every ground in the country, the England fans started singing anti Man Utd songs and even our beloved super soaraway Sun printed a centre spread of a dartboard with Beckham's head in the centre.

Club before country has always been the mantra for most football supporters in the country and Man Utd fans rallied round their own.

Not from me. The culprit in all that was fuckin' Nielsen (sp). A stupid non-event flick, yes. A sending off? Never in a million years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing that about Moore now. Never heard that about Banks though.

it is why Peter Bonetti played in goal against West Germany. England were 2-0 up, Ramsey subbed Bobby Charlton for ? (can't remember who] and it changed the game. The Germans had man marked Charlton with Beckanbaur but after the change pushed Beckanbuar forward and he scored the first goal which went under Bonetti and they won 3-2.

Seem to remember Bobby Charlton was still on when Beckenbaur scored that one under Bonetti, Leazes. I've this memory of him peeling off Charlton when he made his run forward. Think it was after that Colin Bell replaced him. Heat was intense in Mexico for that world cup and I seem to remember most games being played in temps over 100 deg. Charlton was mid 30's and baldie which didn't help :D I think Sir Alf blamed Charlton for losing Beckenbaur for that goal as he looked knackered so took him off.

That my memory anyway but it was a long time ago now, so may well be wrong ;)

Club before country has always been the mantra for most football supporters in the country and Man Utd fans rallied round their own.

Quite rightly too.

For me country doesnt even come into the equation, its club only, I watch England games in the same way I watch any other game not involving the Toon, with indifference.

Quite rightly too.

For me country doesnt even come into the equation, its club only, I watch England games in the same way I watch any other game not involving the Toon, with indifference.

If that's the case then that's pretty sad tbh.