Should Dyer be considered a regular starter?

Django Reinhardt

I reckon it's because Hughes was deemed (rightly or wrongly) not to be good enough and he was a player we could get a fee for. Simple as.

58613[/snapback]

no. What I say is true.

And, if the manager really thinks players such as Moore, Faye and Babayaro are better players to have at the club than Hughes, then it is just more ammunition to peddle him asap, although he's been here 14 months too long already.

58620[/snapback]

Do you know it's true or do you just reckon it's true? Not being funny, just interested.

58846[/snapback]

you may remember me posting on the other board that Shearer was going to carry on playing about a month or so before he announced it .........

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing to ask yourself is in this the season leading up to the world cup finals do you really think Dyer will be happy with the super-sub role?

Previously he has jumped up and down and run to the media about how he will have to go elsewhere for starting 11 opportunities when he has sat on the bench for any duration of time. And yet let's be honest Dyer as a super-sub for newcastle could do more than cement his place in the England squad with the same role - it's a matter of whether his ego can take it and/or if he is smart enough to realise he is utility player that strength lies in his pace and a bit of skill which when used against a tired opposition is increased ten fold.

By the way wasn't it 1M for Hughes? The guy was worth far more to us than that in cover and desire for the club.

The thing to ask yourself is in this the season leading up to the world cup finals do you really think Dyer will be happy with the super-sub role?

Previously he has jumped up and down and run to the media about how he will have to go elsewhere for starting 11 opportunities when he has sat on the bench for any duration of time. And yet let's be honest Dyer as a super-sub for newcastle could do more than cement his place in the England squad with the same role - it's a matter of whether his ego can take it and/or if he is smart enough to realise he is utility player that strength lies in his pace and a bit of skill which when used against a tired opposition is increased ten fold.

By the way wasn't it 1M for Hughes? The guy was worth far more to us than that in cover and desire for the club.

59195[/snapback]

indeed, and it renders the words of those who defend Souness, and Souness himself, for complaining about a thin squad as pretty much meaningless ...

Hasn't Hughes been shite for Villa too this season? My dad's mates with a Villa fan and we met him for a couple of drinks on Saturday afternoon and he reckons they've bought a reet turkey there. Robert's doing well at Pompey too isn't he? :rolleyes:

58888[/snapback]

Flawed argument tbh.

Are you suggesting that because a player doesn't settle at another club, so doesn't play well, that he must have been shite for his previous club?

59070[/snapback]

wasn't shite for his previous club but his performances since the season we finished 3rd marked him down as a position to improve on sooner rather than later.maybe a mistake to sell him because of his adaptability,certainly at that price! but he was one who had the crowd on his side mostly,maybe now we can view him from a neutral viewpoint neutral and get a better idea what he's about.

would hughes still being here have allowed taylor to come through or even ramage(who i have to say thought was ok defensivly but use of the ball was poor and hurried,but in the chelsea game seemed cool on the ball and esp in their half was quite creative)

Edited by shakermaker

59195[/snapback]

indeed, and it renders the words of those who defend Souness, and Souness himself, for complaining about a thin squad as pretty much meaningless ...

59202[/snapback]

tis pointless having a big squad if it contains poor players and then its hard to have a big squad full of quality,even at chelsea they are starting to kick up!! take chelsea out and name some other prem teams who'd cope well with 5 or 6 first teamers out ?

we had a team of players, backed up with more to make a squad, that finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league.

So what is your excuse for 50m not being enough money to improve both those areas ?

take a look at our performances since new year 2 seasons ago,they nose dived,yes we finished 5th(even when we finished 4th we weren't convincing,though saying that is very much in hindsight,just that we werent playing anywher near aswell as the season before)

how good did you think everton were last year?? a quality 4th placed team or a team lucky to be where they were who you couldnt understand how they were there....thats how many non-nufc thought about us the season we finished 5th(just)

given 50mill i'd have liked him to improved the defence,it didnt seem so much a necessity after bramble and boumsong played well together last season,in reality now i'll reckon he's lokking all over for a qulaity centre half.

Edited by shakermaker

how good did you think everton were last year?? a quality 4th placed team or a team lucky to be where they were who you couldnt understand how they were there....thats how many non-nufc thought about us the season we finished 5th(just)

59270[/snapback]

And the other half of the world is still shaking their heads that Liverpool finished 4th that season and then went on to be European champions!

Mute point really as it applies to many teams, whereas we had a history the previous two seasons.

59270[/snapback]

And the other half of the world is still shaking their heads that Liverpool finished 4th that season and then went on to be European champions!

Mute point really as it applies to many teams, whereas we had a history the previous two seasons.

59275[/snapback]

be honest though,only in the season we finished 3rd were we really good enough to be there,like i said about the season we finished 4th,wasn't good,maybe the slide started then ???

be honest though,only in the season we finished 3rd were we really good enough to be there,like i said about the season we finished 4th,wasn't good,maybe the slide started then ???

59278[/snapback]

Yes, like others here we all know that Robson should of been moved upstairs at the end of that season because the slide started and it was only because that season also saw a notable decline in the general opposition in the premier league. that we maintained the 4th position.

Edited by sammynb

take a look at our performances since new year 2 seasons ago,they nose dived,yes we finished 5th(even when we finished 4th we weren't convincing,though saying that is very much in hindsight,just that we werent playing anywher near aswell as the season before)

I would rather look at the results, and despite the picture you are trying to paint, the fact is we did finish 4th, 3rd and 5th, so must have played a lot better than you think

a one off, not 3 times. This hindsight amazes me, everyone thought under Bobby Robson we were underachieving, that is why he was replaced, now they say they knew all along we were on a big slide .. had a crap dressing room ... etc etc ..

given 50mill i'd have liked him to improved the defence,it didnt seem so much a necessity after bramble and boumsong played well together last season,in reality now i'll reckon he's lokking all over for a qulaity centre half.

59270[/snapback]

Again, almost everyone thought Boumsong was the answer....just because he is a foreigner that cost a lot of money was it ?

This is a lot of money thrown away, 8m quid, no excuse for paying over the odds not just for him, but others too, and underselling players who are let go too. Bad management, and Souness is the one who decided who to go and who to bring in, and Souness is also the one who talked down the players he wanted out, and put us in a position where everyone knew we were desperate for forwards....a week to the start of the season, and all we had was a 35 year old striker. What a clown, words just cannot describe the complete incompetence of such a strategy.

And if you or anyone else can't see that that, is putting his ego before the best interests of the club, I simply don't know what more proof you need, there had been plenty of it long before that.

59278[/snapback]

Yes, like others here we all know that Robson should of been moved upstairs at the end of that season because the slide started and it was only because that season also saw a notable decline in the general opposition in the premier league. that we maintained the 4th position.

59281[/snapback]

even more reason why 50m, if it were well spent and managed overall, should be more than enough to take a team that was already 5th, higher up the table .....

Again, almost everyone thought Boumsong was the answer....just because he is a foreigner that cost a lot of money was it ?

59318[/snapback]

Why do you constantly try and make this point about people somehow being duped into thinking Boumsong was the answer because he was an expensive foreigner? I don't personally know anyone who decided that Boumsong was a great player on this or any other basis - most were hopeful that the fact that he was a French international was a positive sign, and were then just prepared to wait and see how he played for us.

You seem hell-bent on trying to paint people as dribbling idiots who decided he was amazing before seeing him play, with you as the careful thinker that knew all along that he wouldn't be up to the job. It seems to be a recurring theme - you as the know-it-all who could have told us all months ago that x, y or z would happen.

59318[/snapback]

Why do you constantly try and make this point about people somehow being duped into thinking Boumsong was the answer because he was an expensive foreigner? I don't personally know anyone who decided that Boumsong was a great player on this or any other basis - most were hopeful that the fact that he was a French international was a positive sign, and were then just prepared to wait and see how he played for us.

You seem hell-bent on trying to paint people as dribbling idiots who decided he was amazing before seeing him play, with you as the careful thinker that knew all along that he wouldn't be up to the job. It seems to be a recurring theme - you as the know-it-all who could have told us all months ago that x, y or z would happen.

59327[/snapback]

Funnily enough, I had little opinion about Boumsong other than a suspicion we'd paid over the odds which I based on the fact that we were desperate at the time. I was hopeful as I was aware he'd done well for Rangers and in his time in France. However, since he's came I've had my doubts about him, even last year when according to some, he was playing great. I didn't want to go overboard though at that time though as I thought he needed a chance. Strangely though, I don't recall LM telling us he was shit when he arrived.

59318[/snapback]

59327[/snapback]

I state what I see Gemmill. I also admit when I am wrong. I also make judgements, and stick by them.

Fact is, the vast majority of people on this forum, who were all on newcastle online at the time, were of the opinion that Boumsong was the best thing since sliced bread, when it became obvious he was coming to Newcastle. The vast majority of people also said Ameobi was Shearers replacement. The vast majority of people also said that Kluivert would be a huge success.

You are equally hell-bent on the notion that for some reason Graeme Souness is going to be a top manager, despite having proved for 20 years he isn't.

As for you pointing out when I am right, I can't help it if I'm right !

Your assertion that we are better off without Craig Bellamy has, so far, been proven spectacularly wrong if you look at the results of the team. Along with the performances which gauge the potential for improvement. By that I mean, by backing Souness, as binning Bellamy is Souness choice. And yes, if you want to push a point, then I do think this one player would make a huge difference to the performance of the team. If you disagree, he did it when he first came. Admit it. Souness's and his mates' kidology doesn't fool everyone.

You also seem unable to grasp the financial risk the club has taken to back this managers ego, despite your backround.

When I have posted something I think, you have sometimes brought up a "crystal ball" comment....well I can't help it if I am right, and it isn't anything to do with a crystal ball, most of the time it is just simple common sense, rather than naively believing anything with the Newcastle United stamp on it means the sun shines out of it's arse. ©

Edited by LeazesMag

59318[/snapback]

59327[/snapback]

Funnily enough, I had little opinion about Boumsong other than a suspicion we'd paid over the odds which I based on the fact that we were desperate at the time. I was hopeful as I was aware he'd done well for Rangers and in his time in France. However, since he's came I've had my doubts about him, even last year when according to some, he was playing great. I didn't want to go overboard though at that time though as I thought he needed a chance. Strangely though, I don't recall LM telling us he was shit when he arrived.

59332[/snapback]

I didn't say anything until I saw him play. Then I said he appeared to be a headless chicken, pulled out of position and couldn't head a ball under pressure to save his life. I never said he is shit, because he's not that bad, he has good parts to his game, such as winning the ball cleanly and having good pace and anticipation, but he also has serious weaknesses that anyone who watches him should be able to see, however I was accused of not giving him a chance ..........

In fact, some silly sod even called me a racist and said if he was white and English I wouldn't have criticised him !!!

Dear me .........

we had a team of players, backed up with more to make a squad, that finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the league.

So what is your excuse for 50m not being enough money to improve both those areas ?

59267[/snapback]

I'd like to see an answer to this.

59794[/snapback]

no one has, because they can't. Especially Gemmill the accountant, who still defends Souness without appearing to grasp he has spent such a vast amount and the possible consequences of failure, not to mention the fool of a manager thought he needed such an amount in the first place.

59267[/snapback]

59794[/snapback]

haven't we been here before.......your rating of the 3rd,4th,5th placed teams is a lot higher than mine.yes last season was shocking but a follow on from the performances of the previous season,lots needed changed(remember wolves,southampton etc ??)

someone mentioned about when we finished 3rd,4th,5th we were underperforming ????? as a club maybe for the size we are,but as a team,group of players,they over achieved.yes leazes mag,this is all in hindsight,but hindsight is so you can look at what happened.

as for the 50mill...when they play i'll judge him!

59267[/snapback]

59794[/snapback]

haven't we been here before.......your rating of the 3rd,4th,5th placed teams is a lot higher than mine.yes last season was shocking but a follow on from the performances of the previous season,lots needed changed(remember wolves,southampton etc ??)

someone mentioned about when we finished 3rd,4th,5th we were underperforming ????? as a club maybe for the size we are,but as a team,group of players,they over achieved.yes leazes mag,this is all in hindsight,but hindsight is so you can look at what happened.

as for the 50mill...when they play i'll judge him!

59882[/snapback]

we were 4th, 3rd and 5th before when they WEREN'T playing .........

[maybe this point will get through eventually ....... ]