Bandwidth

Nyff

At the moment I have Broadband with a 25G bandwidth allowance. We never normally go over that, but this morning we did and I had to add some more. No real problem, but I have some questions about what bandwidth is and how it is worked out.

Now, the main reason I think it has gone over is because I have been trying to 'acquire' the Sims 3, and after the first DL didn't work I am currently 'acquiring' a multi-pack that includes all updates and the expansion pack. This is a massive file (Just under 13GB). Does this mean that downloading this file would use up 13GB of the monthly allowance?

Also how much bandwidth is generally used with day to day usage of the internet. Lets say I am running MSN, Skype, and Firefox, and maybe saving the odd picture here and there. How much, approximately, am I likely to be using?

Yeah, anything you download would come out of that 25GB allowance.

As far as average browsing, I don't know- it depends on what other sites you visit. Messageboards like TT.net are fairly small downloads, but the avatars and stuff could build up (although once you've seen someone's avatar, your browser probably just pulls the file from your cache, so it isn't really like downloading it again).

25 GB seems like quite a bit, but as you're finding- movies and games can eat that up relatively quickly. For "normal" browsing though, I doubt you'd consume more than slightly less than a gig per day (25/ a month, basically), but it really depends on how much you're on and what you're looking at/ using the net for.

You need to keep in mind other stuff besides you getting on FireFox or IE uses the net too- programs download updates, Windows downloads hotfixes and service packs, games download patches, etc. Also, if you have an Xbox, PS3, Wii, an iPhone or Blackberry that use a wi-fi connection, all that stuff is eating into your bandwidth allowance too.

This is the only month we've gone over it, which I assume is down to my own excessive downloading. Has otherwise been fine with two laptops, the Xbox and my phone all using the same connection. Will just have to live with it for this month until it is reset again on the first!

Ive been experiencing problems with my home connection, every evening its up and down more times than a makem lass in a bus shelter. Turned out when I rang BT that Ive been throttled under their fair usage policy (admittedly it was for using 56Gb in the first week of March), no warning, no questions just bang you're out. Throttling for BT however doesnt mean stopping your Torrent ports or reducing my speed to 512Kb, no nowt as sensible as that, what they do is allow you to be connected for two minutes then swtich you off for 30 seconds.

Wankers :lol:

• 1 month later...