Liverpool sliding into trouble.

Park Life

Tom Hicks and George Gillett, Liverpool's unpopular co-owners, are expected to officially put the club up for sale this week but are unlikely to appease the manager, Rafael Benítez, or supporters opposed to their reign with an imminent departure from Anfield.

The Americans have received an option to extend their refinancing deal this summer from the Royal Bank of Scotland, their lenders, in response to the struggle to bring new investment into the club. The pair have hired the mergers and acquisitions arm of Barclays Bank to help find a buyer and are expected to announce the appointment of Martin Broughton, the chairman of British Airways, as independent chairman early this week.

Broughton's task will be to oversee the search for investment and secure the Americans' latest refinancing package at Liverpool in the meantime. Previously, and in a sign of their fractured business relationship, Hicks and Gillett appointed two separate banks, Rothschild and Merrill Lynch, to find an investor but have failed to receive an offer that meets their asking price of around £500m. The only official offer to emerge was The Rhône Group's proposal of £110m for a 40% stake in Liverpool, although its deadline for a response passed last Monday."

This is going to get Messi. :lol:

Guest Barrack Road

The lack of Champions League money will hit them hard next season, and you can guarantee their pathetic support will dwindle to the 35,000 levels of the Houllier era.

Torres must be completely stupid to play for that club, in no way shape or form are they one of the big 10 in Europe, and he could play for anyone, I bet Ferguson would give his right arm to get him.

Guest Barrack Road
I'd love nothing more to see them not qualify for any European competition next year.

Hopefully Athletico knock them out

7th is UEFA isnt it?

Taking delight in their possible demise aside, I can't make my mind up whether them seeking buyers is good or bad for us - it might mean any potentials would be attracted to them but at the same time it may flush out some money from someone who would then see us as a comparitive bargain.

The lack of Champions League money will hit them hard next season, and you can guarantee their pathetic support will dwindle to the 35,000 levels of the Houllier era.

Torres must be completely stupid to play for that club, in no way shape or form are they one of the big 10 in Europe, and he could play for anyone, I bet Ferguson would give his right arm to get him.

Reckon he'll go to Citeh in the summer.

Taking delight in their possible demise aside, I can't make my mind up whether them seeking buyers is good or bad for us - it might mean any potentials would be attracted to them but at the same time it may flush out some money from someone who would then see us as a comparitive bargain.

Depends on our price really. 500m for Liv is probably 50m too high...For us if MA was asking 250m then I reckon there would be more chance.

I think they'll win the Uefa Cup but I don't think it'll be enough to hang onto to some of their better players since it looks like the Champions League spot will go to Man City now.

Won't the proposed UEFA legislation on debt and private investment to cover debts mean that few will be interested at that price?

If that legislation goes through, how pukka would that be? :lol:

Guest Barrack Road
I'd love nothing more to see them not qualify for any European competition next year.

7th is UEFA isnt it?

Depends if chelsea win or not, and Everton could still catch them as well, the way they're going and this torres injury they could finish 8th

Well Millwall lost the FA Cup as did Southampton and they got in Europe, has the rule changed?

7th is UEFA isnt it?

Depends if chelsea win or not, and Everton could still catch them as well, the way they're going and this torres injury they could finish 8th

Well Millwall lost the FA Cup as did Southampton and they got in Europe, has the rule changed?

Think it changed a few years ago so the runners up spot (which NUFC benefitted from on a couple of occasions) no longer goes to the losing finalist if the winner is in the CL. That spot means an extra spot in the league.

Won't the proposed UEFA legislation on debt and private investment to cover debts mean that few will be interested at that price?

Levels the playing field at least. Man City in at the right time though, will encourage investment to build clubs up before the legislation is passed.

Guest Barrack Road
I don't think it has changed, it's just that as Pompey are in administration, UEFA won't let them play in European competition.

If Liverpool get in EUROPE cos of that then its the luckiest European entry since we got in cos of the war in Yugoslavia. Did I imagine that? We got in the intertoto for some radge reason too.

We once got in the Intertoto because some team pulled out but I can't remember who it was. Was there also one entry we got for England being top of the fair play league?

Crisis club Portsmouth will not be able to compete in Europe next season even if they win the FA Cup.

The club would be declined entry to the Europa League because they have not applied for a Uefa club licence.

bbc

David James has stated in the media in the last couple of days that Pompey won’t be registering for European entry anyway as winning the FA Cup sent them into financial meltdown.

The players had contracts giving them mega bonuses, not only to the players but to the clubs that they’d signed from. To attract the players they offered them huge wages and also slapped payouts for ridiculous things that could never happen — including for FA Cup winners and for qualifying for Europe too!

Edited by Giraffidae

David James has stated in the media in the last couple of days that Pompey won’t be registering for European entry anyway as winning the FA Cup sent them into financial meltdown.

The players had contracts giving them mega bonuses, not only to the players but to the clubs that they’d signed from. To attract the players they offered them huge wages and also slapped payouts for ridiculous things that could never happen — including for FA Cup winners and for qualifying for Europe too!

James was wrong then as Pompey have just won an appeal to re apply for a UEFA Licence.

Didnt we get into Europe because of "fair play" one season ?

Inter-Toto? Might have been the year we went out in the 'final' to Troyes on the away goals rule (although we were well beaten in fairness).

Levels the playing field at least. Man City in at the right time though, will encourage investment to build clubs up before the legislation is passed.

Wouldn't that leave the clubs with massively inflated player assets they can't recoup in sales though? Supose it makes no difference in city's case.

Wouldn't that leave the clubs with massively inflated player assets they can't recoup in sales though? Supose it makes no difference in city's case.

The proposal involves 2 or 3 seasons for adjustment.