Oldskool

Park Life

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One development or trend you'd like to see reversed?

I'd like to see the back off the SKY generation of football, the wanky pundits (Andy Gray - is there a bigger cunt), the adverts, the overplaying of what were once good songs (clubfoot) the transfer window countdown. David fucking Craig, Fanzone, that stupid turning and facing the camera by players, etc etc etc.

On that note I'd also like to see Soccer AM reversed to when it was good hangover material and when Helen Chamberlain was still fit.

It'd be nice to reverse global warming trends.

You don't buy into that do you?

Please don't try and argue there is no trend toward increased temperatures on earth. You'll reveal yourself to be moronic. :o

770px-Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

Please don't try and argue there is no trend toward increased temperatures on earth. You'll reveal yourself to be moronic. :o

what about the years/decades/centuries before the 1880's Happy?

is it a gradual warming from say the 12th century? or maybe it was actually quite warm then (12th century). The middle of the 19th century is a handy reference point for global warming fanatics as it was the coldest period for a thousand years. maybe thats why your graph starts where it does (years).

is it a gradual warming from say the 12th century? or maybe it was actually quite warm then (12th century). The middle of the 19th century is a handy reference point for global warming fanatics as it was the coldest period for a thousand years. maybe thats why your graph starts where it does (years).

But it would be nice for the trend of the last 130 years to stop, right?

I don't claim to be an expert but a good mate of mine works for the met and his line is that the Earth has been warming/cooling for millions of years (the Romans had vinyards near Hadrians wall) and we are coming to the end of a warming phase. The UK itself has actually begun a cooling trend.

I think figures are manipulated on both sides but what I can say is that carbon trading is a billion dollar industry (Al Gore is close to sealing his first billion - an inconvenient truth if ever there was one) and it's no secret that those who advocate global warming as a concept (although it's interesting that that term has died a death and its now climate change) are often funded by those in this industry.

Please don't try and argue there is no trend toward increased temperatures on earth. You'll reveal yourself to be moronic. :razz:

But it would be nice for the trend of the last 130 years to stop, right?

:D

aye, i'll agree to that. cannit stand the heat!

:o

I don't claim to be an expert but a good mate of mine works for the met and his line is that the Earth has been warming/cooling for millions of years (the Romans had vinyards near Hadrians wall) and we are coming to the end of a warming phase. The UK itself has actually begun a cooling trend.

I think figures are manipulated on both sides but what I can say is that carbon trading is a billion dollar industry (Al Gore is close to sealing his first billion - an inconvenient truth if ever there was one) and it's no secret that those who advocate global warming as a concept (although it's interesting that that term has died a death and its now climate change) are often funded by those in this industry.

Of course the earth has been cooling and warming for millions of years......billions.

The seas have risen and fallen countless times.....but humans have only inhabited the planed for a tiny percentage of it's overall life (0.004%).

Concern is not for the health of the planet which will outlast us by a long long way, but for the health of humanity who can only survive in a narrow set of conditions. In the end there's no hope anyway cos the sun will burn out (currently getting on for halfway through it's lifecycle) but there's no need to speed up our extinction is there?

Of course the earth has been cooling and warming for millions of years......billions.

The seas have risen and fallen countless times.....but humans have only inhabited the planed for a tiny percentage of it's overall life (0.004%).

Concern is not for the health of the planet which will outlast us by a long long way, but for the health of humanity who can only survive in a narrow set of conditions. In the end there's no hope anyway cos the sun will burn out (currently getting on for halfway through it's lifecycle) but there's no need to speed up our extinction is there?

Of course not - but does human carbon emissions not amount to a fraction of the carbon realeased into the atmosphere?

Of course not - but does human carbon emissions not amount to a fraction of the carbon realeased into the atmosphere?

That's another question. I said i'd like to reverse the trend of warming which you disputed.

However, since you ask.....

Since about 1750 human activity has increased the concentration of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. Measured atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide are currently 100 ppmv higher than pre-industrial levels.

Natural sources of carbon dioxide are more than 20 times greater than sources due to human activity, but over periods longer than a few years natural sources are closely balanced by natural sinks such as weathering of continental rocks and photosynthesis of carbon compounds by plants and marine plankton.

As a result of this balance, the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide remained between 260 and 280 parts per million for the 10,000 years between the end of the last glacial maximum and the start of the industrial era

So for 10,000 years the fluctuation was no more than 20 parts per million, but we've managed to increase it by 5 times that.

That's another question. I said i'd like to reverse the trend of warming which you disputed.

However, since you ask.....

Since about 1750 human activity has increased the concentration of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases. Measured atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide are currently 100 ppmv higher than pre-industrial levels.

Natural sources of carbon dioxide are more than 20 times greater than sources due to human activity, but over periods longer than a few years natural sources are closely balanced by natural sinks such as weathering of continental rocks and photosynthesis of carbon compounds by plants and marine plankton.

As a result of this balance, the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide remained between 260 and 280 parts per million for the 10,000 years between the end of the last glacial maximum and the start of the industrial era

So for 10,000 years the fluctuation was no more than 20 parts per million, but we've managed to increase it by 5 times that.

*stands corrected*

I'm no fan of the heat (particualry on the rush hour tubes) so I'd be happy to see it cool down.

HF, that graph isn't very interesting. You need one which has the annual carbon emissions on it as well, otherwise all it shows is a trend, and frankly, so what. I'd like to see one with average solar radiation etc as well if that's available.

HF, that graph isn't very interesting. You need one which has the annual carbon emissions on it as well, otherwise all it shows is a trend, and frankly, so what. I'd like to see one with average solar radiation etc as well if that's available.

I'm like the Freakonomics dude. I only want to see the heating trend reversed but keep the emissions trend going the way it is so I can drive a big car. :o

Yeah have you got one with the moon on a stick too?

I'm like the Freakonomics dude. I only want to see the heating trend reversed but keep the emissions trend going the way it is so I can drive a big car. :o

Well the last 3 summers have been shit so I'm happy for that to be reversed in that case. Bring on the sunshine fanny.

We could do with a reversal of the economic damage caused by your sort too.

Everything but that...

600px-Temp-sunspot-co2.svg.png

Well I'm swaying against Climate Change, not because of reasonable arguments, but because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law went to see Age of Stupid and became right preachy annoying cunts for a few months afterwards...up uptil they flew off on their skiing holiday strangely enough.

We could do with a reversal of the economic damage caused by your sort too.

Racist!