Coach Alan Thompson to leave NUFC for Celtic

Sonatine

Coach Alan Thompson to leave NUFC for Celtic

Jun 2 2010

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton will be forced into a reshuffle of his coaching staff as reserve-team coach Alan Thompson heads for a new post at former club Celtic.

The Journal understands that Thompson is set to leave St James’ Park with a “heavy heart” after being identified by old team-mate Neil Lennon to play a prominent role in his coaching staff when he takes over on a full-time basis at Celtic.

Lennon is expected to be confirmed as the new Parkhead boss either tomorrow or Friday – paving the way for Thompson to leave Newcastle as early as the weekend.

That would leave Hughton down to the bare bones in terms of his backroom staff, with only assistant Colin Calderwood and goalkeeping coach Paul Barron to back him up.

United are sure to be casting around for a replacement and The Journal understands that former Middlesbrough coach Martin Scott is a leading contender for a role on Newcastle’s coaching staff. Scott, who departed Boro earlier this month, was reserve-team coach at the Riverside and also has Academy experience.

With United looking to fast-track some of their brightest young prospects into the first team over the next few years,

Scott would appear to tick all the boxes for Hughton. Thompson’s imminent departure will be the second loss that the coaching staff has suffered in recent weeks. The club parted company with long-serving Academy coach Kenny Wharton by mutual consent a fortnight ago.

The Journal understands that Thompson, a highly-rated coach who has progressed swiftly through the ranks at St James’ Park, feels the chance to play a senior role at Parkhead is too good to turn down.

A source close to the 36-year-old told The Journal that he was reluctant to leave Newcastle.

Thompson, who won an England cap during a successful spell at Celtic, was appointed by Kevin Keegan two years ago to work with the club’s under-15s and under-16s in the Academy.

He has been settled at United and his good work has not gone unnoticed at St James’, but the lure of a prominent role at Celtic is understandable.

Thompson completed his coaching badges with Lennon in Belfast.

As Hughton considers his next step off-the-field, on it striker Peter Lovenkrands believes the club must make survival a priority before looking too much further ahead. The Danish forward sees staying in the top flight as United’s top priority.

“Newcastle is a huge club, but realistically we must first only look to stay in the Premier League and then build on that afterwards,” he said.

“Of course, we hope to create a surprise like Birmingham did last season and finish in the top 10.

“But first we must guarantee against relegation. If we do that, we can set new goals during the season.”

United are understood to be looking to add another striker to their squad before the start of the campaign.

However, Lovenkrands believes that he did enough to deserve another shot at top-flight football. “I obviously hope that we carry on improving, but I hope that I get credit for having been a large part of the team that got us up,” he added.

“I think I deserve to have a good chance again in the Premier League. Now we will see what happens in the transfer window, but I think Andy Carroll and I deserve another chance.

“We both scored goals in the Premier League before, and we can do again. We have lots of other good strikers, like Shola Ameobi and Leon Best.

“But I have the advantage that the others are very similar, while I am a completely different type. It may be my chance.”

As an aside, I notice Adam Sadler is assistant manager at Gateshead. Here and a highly rated coach under Keegan wasn't he?

Yeah, he's just gone there on a full-time basis having worked at Northumbria Uni.