Derby

The Fish

Anybody know of a nice area in Derby? Got a friend who is moving there and she's got no idea, neither do I.

She'll be working in the city centre but she has a car and doesn't mind a wee commute.

Why is she moving there if she knows nothing about the place?

Really good job opportunity; it was either an unpaid internship in London or a paid placement in Derby doing exactly the same thing. She figures, live there for a couple of years then move on.

aye, that's a possibility. How much of a ball ache is the commute between the two towns though?

oh and Jonny, I'm playing the long con.

aye, that's a possibility. How much of a ball ache is the commute between the two towns though?

It's only 12 miles from Beeston - a suburb on the western border of the city where my parents live. Dunno how long it takes in rush hour though.

Shouldn't be any.

For her.

It's only 12 miles from Beeston - a suburb on the western border of the city where my parents live. Dunno how long it takes in rush hour though.

Beeston is a nice area, have a mate who lives there. Not too expensive either I don't think.

Beeston is a nice area, have a mate who lives there. Not too expensive either I don't think.

Isn't there shit loads of pubs in Beeston as well?

I've been there with work a couple of times.

Isn't there shit loads of pubs in Beeston as well?

I've been there with work a couple of times.

Awesome another reason to visit :scratchchin:

Of course it's a nice area! :scratchchin: It is popular with students because of its proximity to the university but not overrun by them.

It also has its own train station which is useful for getting into the centre of Nottingham (8 mins) and Derby (~20 mins I think).

Of course it's a nice area! :scratchchin: It is popular with students because of its proximity to the university but not overrun by them.

It also has its own train station which is useful for getting into the centre of Nottingham (8 mins) and Derby (~20 mins I think).

Cheers, is it super-student-ville like Headingley/Hyde Park in Leeds?

I had the misfortune of living in Derby for a year - the place is a shit hole. But if she's not fussed about a commute there are loads of areas within 20 -30 minutes drive, that are worlds apart. May be a bit quiet however.

Cheers, is it super-student-ville like Headingley/Hyde Park in Leeds?

Not at all - most of the students live in Lenton. I'd equate it to Horsforth if you're going to compare it to Leeds area.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

A business associate of mine who I've helped is from Alfreton which is nearby, he always says it's the best place in Derbyshire, but Derby itself oh dear. Last time I was there was 1998 reminded me of Ashington Town Centre, and even then it seemed better than the visit before 6 years earlier. The most notable thing about Derby building wise is a big Royal Mail sorting office surely that's as damning an indictment as you'll ever see. There's always Thornley Manor though if she's got a few quid.

A business associate of mine who I've helped is from Alfreton which is nearby, he always says it's the best place in Derbyshire, but Derby itself oh dear. Last time I was there was 1998 reminded me of Ashington Town Centre, and even then it seemed better than the visit before 6 years earlier. The most notable thing about Derby building wise is a big Royal Mail sorting office surely that's as damning an indictment as you'll ever see. There's always Thornley Manor though if she's got a few quid.

I know... not best pleased about her new town. I mean, Leeds is all right. Decent bars, lots of fit students, handy for getting around the rest of the country. Derby's got fuck all.

bet I can't get a decent Beaujolais. :D