Change in Work Hours - Change in Contract?

wykikitoon

Weve had an email around saying were having our work hours changed from 37.5h to 40h to cope with the changing econmy etc (enter huge coporate bull shit here).

Shouldnt we be signing something to agree to this? I work close to 45h a week anyways so no skin off my nose, but surley they cant just do this without us agreeing?

Edited by wykikitoon

Bit of a piss-take by them but couldn't you turn this to your advantage and insist on 'only' doing a 40 hour week once you've got it in writing?

Its got the usual coporate bollocks written all over it. I will be using it to my advantage though :lol:

Think yourself lucky. My parents have grafted for 50 years between them to get very good jobs in the NHS. They each got a letter on Monday to say they might not have one in 6 months. Gotta love a Tory Government!

:lol: Typical Labour loving blindness

Labour has FUCKED the NHS up by creating 600k new "jobs" in it lad.

50 Years, theyll get a good package.

years ago in the States some lunatic put a notice on the board where I worked saying

"Your hours of work at 08:00 to 17:00 - if you work less than this you are overpaid"

Everyone promptly started clock watching, no-one came in on a weekend (which we normally did as the office was right in the middle of town) and productivity went South big time

Another day, another dispute. wykiki rides again!

When I worked in the US the winter months were mandatory 11 hour days. Deal with it!

I aint botherd FWIW Gemmill.

I just didnt think you could enforce something like this without an agreement.

Think yourself lucky. My parents have grafted for 50 years between them to get very good jobs in the NHS. They each got a letter on Monday to say they might not have one in 6 months. Gotta love a Tory Government!

Labour has fucked the NHS? Aye, sure they did.

Have you got a link to back up your 600k extra jobs comment (with the implication they are of no value)?

Love it when people in the private sector practically gloat over the loss of public sector jobs btw.

Sorry I cant find a link, will find one

Ah well, you were only a magnitude out then, according to that Gospel of Truth, the good old Daily Mail.

Edit: Why fid you delete the link, and why exactly do you think the NHS should be 'ruined' because it employs more staff?

Edited by Renton

Ah well, you were only a magnitude out then, according to that Gospel of Truth, the good old Daily Mail.

Edit: Why fid you delete the link, and why exactly do you think the NHS should be 'ruined' because it employs more staff?

Was the incorrect link Sorry. If they are employing staff in the correct areas i.e not making paper shuffling jobs great stuff. I am very proud of our health service.

Labour however has helped create the economic state we are now in.

Was the incorrect link Sorry. If they are employing staff in the correct areas i.e not making paper shuffling jobs great stuff. I am very proud of our health service.

You work in the construction industry don't you?

Well, I'm not going to pass comment on that because I know very little about it. Much like your 'shuffling papers' suggests you don't know much about the NHS, which is objectively one of the most efficient health services in the World. That is undeniable despite what the Mail would like you to believe (and what you have clearly bought in to).

If you're happy to be so dismissive about other people's jobs then you can get what's coming regarding your own as far as I am concerned.

You in the firing line, Renton? I survived the latest round here, and wish I hadn't, but they'll be plenty people going for whom its a hammer blow so it's a weird one.

Could be Gemmill but it's been par for the course for me even before the election. I'm reasonably confident that I'll be okay though, otherwise I'm looking at doing something shit or moving South I guess. Next six months are crucial like.

Well, I'm not going to pass comment on that because I know very little about it. Much like your 'shuffling papers' suggests you don't know much about the NHS, which is objectively one of the most efficient health services in the World. That is undeniable despite what the Mail would like you to believe (and what you have clearly bought in to).

If you're happy to be so dismissive about other people's jobs then you can get what's coming regarding your own as far as I am concerned.

The construction industry is fucked, I know that Renton lad.

I know two lads who work for the NHS in IT. Some of the things they tell me regarding IT hardware e.g a PC is X old regardless weather its still working fine or not, its out. Now, I suppose its all chinese whispers but stuff like that isnt right is it? Another one worked on the GP portal open source thing, he was basically at home playing Doom whilst his gaffers agreed stuff, yet he was earning mega bucks from it.

The NHS is a HUUUUGE organisation and it needs admin and back up staff, dont get me wrong. We are currently working with the NHS on a job, they are working with a big contractor and there is fucking SHED loads of cash been splashed and FUCK all is happening. The money goes on meetings, and a fancy architect and some nice fancy meeting rooms.

I hope your job is safe mate and anyone elses.

My mam has 20 and my dad has 30. They wont make up his pension and they wont protect my mams salary if she drops down 2 grades. Labour didnt fuck up the NHS, did you read that in the Daily Mail?

edit - I hadnt even read your post with the Daily Mail link in when I posted that :lol:

I wonder if the government will release the details of the money they spend on redundancies, early pensions and re organisation of these GP consortiums. Into the billions I reckon.

Also, hundreds of admin staff on £15k pa got the same letters on Monday, kinda puts paid to the line that its only top end managers at risk.

Edited by Kid Dynamite

The construction industry is fucked, I know that Renton lad.

I know two lads who work for the NHS in IT. Some of the things they tell me regarding IT hardware e.g a PC is X old regardless weather its still working fine or not, its out. Now, I suppose its all chinese whispers but stuff like that isnt right is it? Another one worked on the GP portal open source thing, he was basically at home playing Doom whilst his gaffers agreed stuff, yet he was earning mega bucks from it.

The NHS is a HUUUUGE organisation and it needs admin and back up staff, dont get me wrong. We are currently working with the NHS on a job, they are working with a big contractor and there is fucking SHED loads of cash been splashed and FUCK all is happening. The money goes on meetings, and a fancy architect and some nice fancy meeting rooms.

I hope your job is safe mate and anyone elses.

Fair enough, I can imagine shitloads have been wasted and I can well believe your examples. The IT projects have in general been a complete waste of money, I'm not going to defend that but at the same time I'm not really sure who to blame. But the management of purchasing and provision is nowhere near as bad as has been made out by the right wing press, and I stand by the fact the NHS compares favourably internationally. My own job is increasingly moving toward driving efficiencies and reducing costs.

Thanks for the last comment. :lol:

When I worked in practice, one of the local councils had this big efficiency study done to identify improvements they could make. Anyway they made the improvements but they didn't produce any of the reports to track the impact these improvements would have.

So they got us back in to pay us more money to determine whether the efficiency improvements had actually resulted in efficiency improvements. :lol: Fucking pisstake with public cash.