Players we underestimated.

Park Life

Kevin Scott was bobbins man. I cried laughing the day Spurs actually paid us real money for him.

Ardilles obviously rated him as he had him as a player up here. You'd think he'd have known better. Not sure if you'd say he was underrated/underestimated as such but David McCreery was such a steady player for us.

Didn't Spurs pay best part of a million for him when he was pushing 30? :lol:

Aye, 850k rings a bell anyway.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had some fucking garbage during them days though. I shudder at the memory of the likes of

Paul Sweeney

Mark Stimson

Kenny Sansom

Lee Payne

Frank Pingel

Rob McDonald

Spot-on. Also add Paul Moran, Terry Wilson, Gavin Mcquire. Loan players but awful. Also anyone remember Neil Simpson?

Aye granted Scott wanst great but I thought he did a job for us. Always rated Ranson. Brock on his day and when he wanted was a canny player. Scored a few cracking free-kicks. One at home to Chalton when they beat us 3-1 midweek was a good un.

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars

I don't think we ever played better football under KK than the season when Sellars played wide-left before Ginola arrived. He was a quality footballer and combined really well with Beresford.

We had some fucking garbage during them days though. I shudder at the memory of the likes of

Paul Sweeney

Mark Stimson

Kenny Sansom

Lee Payne

Frank Pingel

Rob McDonald

I never minded Sweeney actually. Not that he was any good or owt (which he wasn't), but he was always committed.

Stimson and Fereday on the other hand actually made me believe that 95% of the adult male population could get a game as a professional footballer.

Aye granted Scott wanst great but I thought he did a job for us. Always rated Ranson. Brock on his day and when he wanted was a canny player. Scored a few cracking free-kicks. One at home to Chalton when they beat us 3-1 midweek was a good un.

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars

I don't think we ever played better football under KK than the season when Sellars played wide-left before Ginola arrived. He was a quality footballer and combined really well with Beresford.

Beresford was a tad underestimated himself, was very good in his first few seasons anyhow, went downhill fairly quickly IIRC though.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Kevin Scott was bobbins man. I cried laughing the day Spurs actually paid us real money for him.

Ardilles obviously rated him as he had him as a player up here. You'd think he'd have known better. Not sure if you'd say he was underrated/underestimated as such but David McCreery was such a steady player for us.

£750k iirc.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Paul Sweeney - played a blinder on night against Derby in the ZDS Cup, apart from that shite

Mark Stimson - pure shite I remember he got sent off at home to Wolves 0-0 draw so we needed him and all four corners of the ground cheered the refs decision

Kenny Sansom - fat and finished here

Lee Payne - didn't play enough

Frank Pingel - utter kenk

Rob McDonald - the worst centre forward I've seen in black and white

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars

Beresford was a tad underestimated himself, was very good in his first few seasons anyhow, went downhill fairly quickly IIRC though.

Speaking of which, I'll tell you who was underrated - Robbie Elliott, in his first spell here. KK preferred Bez though as he was better going forward and had more pace. Elliott was pretty good going forward himself mind. Injury prone though.

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars

Beresford was all set for a move to Liverpool before he came here IIRC but failed the medical so they lost interest. I don't remember him once having a serious injury issue in his time here.

£750k iirc.

I'm pretty certain there was another £100k on top of that.

Paul Sweeney

Mark Stimson

Kenny Sansom

Lee Payne

Frank Pingel

Rob McDonald

I never minded Sweeney actually. Not that he was any good or owt (which he wasn't), but he was always committed.

Stimson and Fereday on the other hand actually made me believe that 95% of the adult male population could get a game as a professional footballer.

Paul Sweeney = Fiery Scot (Ginger, slow, scottish and shit).

Mark Stimson = Jason Donovan (the real Donovan would have tackled harder).

Kenny Sansom = A fat cockney bastard who didn't give a fuck about NUFC, was just here for his last signing on fee.

Lee Payne = came from non-league but just wasn't really up to it.

Frank Pingel = came from Scandinavia and just wasn't up to the job.

Rob McDonald = The Ronny Gill kept saying he was a sprinter for Edinburgh athletics or something like that when we signed him. (Some evil team-mate obviously put lead in his boots whilst at NUFC as he was slow and shit, did score a good header at Hillsborough one game I was at, to be fair).

Fereday = Made his debut at Filbert street, it was pissing down all day, we drew 2-2 and Wayne had a good game, I turned around to my mate and said the immortal words, "Fucking hell! we've signed a good player here, mind!" :lol:

Kevin Sheedy

Scott Sellars

Speaking of which, I'll tell you who was underrated - Robbie Elliott, in his first spell here. KK preferred Bez though as he was better going forward and had more pace. Elliott was pretty good going forward himself mind. Injury prone though.

Elliott was underrated but don't think Bez was, well not by me, anyway.

Davey Mac was one of my heroes as a kid, his attitude was class, certainly don't think he was underrated by most Mags.

By the way, how many of those shit players were signed by Jim Smith? Puts to bed his fucking credentials the moaning twat he was!

Edited by Howmanheyman

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Daaaaaaaaavey Mac

Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Davey Mac Daaaaaaaaavey Mac

I remember a football league centenery game (or something daft like that), v Wimbledon, he got a boot in the face by Fashanu or another 7ft neanderthal who ran about for them, (can't say 'played'), he stooped down to get a header in, took the boot to the head, stopped for a few seconds, rubbed his head, then ran after the ball to make a tackle. Thats all we could ask for in those days. :lol:

Davey Mac was one of my heroes as a kid, his attitude was class, certainly don't think he was underrated by most Mags.

Can stick John Anderson in the same bracket for me :lol:

My abiding memory of Fereday was over him falling over all the time. One of the lads who sat near us suggested he had running spikes in instead of studs. In theory he probably wasn't too far from the truth! :lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Fuck, I'd forgotten about 'Bones' too. Wharton always gave his all.

I never liked Wharton, such a ditherer on the ball, I thought Tinnion was the better option and was disappointed when he was sold.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I remember a football league centenery game (or something daft like that), v Wimbledon, he got a boot in the face by Fashanu or another 7ft neanderthal who ran about for them, (can't say 'played'), he stooped down to get a header in, took the boot to the head, stopped for a few seconds, rubbed his head, then ran after the ball to make a tackle. Thats all we could ask for in those days. :lol:

I remember that. Worst game ever went to extra time, and O'Neill put us out of our misery in the very last minute before pens. Someone stole my half toon half Brazil pompom hat that night so I had to buy a new one.

My abiding memory of Fereday was over him falling over all the time. One of the lads who sat near us suggested he had running spikes in instead of studs. In theory he probably wasn't too far from the truth! :lol:

Is it honestly right he was still at the club in 1992? I find that hard to believe (or was it some sort of coaching staff role by then?)

Tom?

Can stick John Anderson in the same bracket for me :(

Agree about Ando.

Funny thing though, back then I noticed we either loved a player or hated him, was reading that 'Black & white daft' book the other day by Mick Edmundson which is a great read for anyone who used to go to the games pre-1992. Someone was commenting on a player, can't remember off the top of my head who it was, getting down the wing at Oakwell then putting a cross straight into the thousands of Mags down there and getting loads of stick. John Anderson then did the same five minutes later and it was, "ooooh! unlucky Johhny, son!" :lol:

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Is it honestly right he was still at the club in 1992? I find that hard to believe (or was it some sort of coaching staff role by then?)

Tom?

His testimonial was April 92 iirc, I remember the toon fans singing Waddle Waddle sign for us, because it was rumoured us and Sheff Wed were in for him as he was leaving Marseille, and further to that, Anderson had a really bad injury and never played again, and didn't play that night, but was still on our books, I'm pretty sure till the end of that season. Can still remember the programme "ANDO" on the front, no cunt ever called him Ando.

Tom?

His testimonial was April 92 iirc, I remember the toon fans singing Waddle Waddle sign for us, because it was rumoured us and Sheff Wed were in for him as he was leaving Marseille, and further to that, Anderson had a really bad injury and never played again, and didn't play that night, but was still on our books, I'm pretty sure till the end of that season. Can still remember the programme "ANDO" on the front, no cunt ever called him Ando.

"Ando" was copyright of Thomson House.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Tom?

"Ando" was copyright of Thomson House.

So was Mira, and no cunt called Mirandinha that, the crowd always used to chant Deena Deeena Deena

Can stick John Anderson in the same bracket for me :(

Tom?

I remember his testimonial now aye. :lol: Tremendous knowledge tbf. Jesus that'd just been completely lost from recall in my memory.

How long was it between that testimonial and when he played his last first team game for us?