'Playstation' Football

shackbleep

;)

Uefa president Platini opposed to goal-line technology

Uefa president Michel Platini has reiterated his opposition to goal-line technology, claiming it would lead to "Playstation football".

Fifa has reopened discussions on the subject but Platini said an assistant behind each goal and greater respect for referees were the solutions.

"The referee has to be helped by clubs, fans, players, media and authorities," he told www.scottishfa.co.uk.

"It is why we have added two assistants for Champions League games."

Last week the International Football Association Board (IFAB), Fifa's rulemaking division, asked technology companies to present ideas by the end of November.

Systems would then be tested in advance of the next IFAB meeting in March, when the next stages of the process of implementation would be discussed.

But Platini said an extra pair of eyes behind each goal, as is the case in this season's Champions League, is the logical answer.

"One referee is not enough, not in the modern era where you have 20 cameras," stated Platini, who became Uefa president in 2006.

"It is unfair - the cameras can see everything but the referee only has one pair of eyes. Every time he makes a mistake, those cameras are there to focus on it.

"It is why for the past 10 years I have asked to change the job of the referee, to help improve the situation and to give the referees better support.

"These people are going to make mistakes and to be a referee I think you have to be a masochist. The system is bad and I have known this for 40 years.

"It is a logical step with so many cameras that can pick up incidents: the more eyes there to assist the referee, the better the chance of spotting those incidents."

Fifa scrapped goal-line technology experiments in 2008 after deciding systems which worked in other sports - such as the Hawk-Eye innovation used in tennis and cricket - were unsuitable for football.

Fifa also tested a system using a microchip in the ball but decided it was too complicated and also lacked sufficient accuracy.

But after recent incidents, such as the Frank Lampard strike that was not given as a goal in England's 4-1 World Cup loss in June to Germany despite clearly crossing the line, Fifa decided to take another look at possible solutions.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said it would be "a nonsense not to reopen the file" on technology and referred the matter to IFAB.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9124497.stm

Saw the interview on SSN.

Saying goalmouth cameras would lead to offside cameras and corner cameras and throw in cameras is a bollocks argument if you ask me.....and i don't even want the technology brought in.

There's no reason each manager shouldn't get (say) 3 contentions a game where he can go to the footage and ask the referee to reconsider. Some honesty from the referees when they'd fucked up and reviewed the situation would lead to a lot more respect for them.

....but as i say, leave it as it is. Fucking hilarious when a ball goes fully over the line and a goal isn't given, or a Frenchman taps it in with his hand and stuff like that. You'd put Jamie Redknapp out of a job if he couldn't watch some footage and tell you what you've seen.

Edited by Happy Face

Saw the interview on SSN.

Saying goalmouth cameras would lead to offside cameras and corner cameras and throw in cameras is a bollocks argument if you ask me.....and i don't even want the technology brought in.

There's no reason each manager shouldn't get (say) 3 contentions a game where he can go to the footage and ask the referee to reconsider. Some honesty from the referees when they'd fucked up and reviewed the situation would lead to a lot more respect for them.

....but as i say, leave it as it is. Fucking hilarious when a ball goes fully over the line and a goal isn't given, or a Frenchman taps it in with his hand and stuff like that. You'd put Jamie Redknapp out of a job if he couldn't watch some footage and tell you what you've seen.

Agreed.

The only thing I want is severe retrospective punishment for tackles that weren't seen by the ref, and diving etc.

I personally want to see a change to the rule governing the 'we can't undermine the referee by changing his decisions'. If they were wrong, fucking do something about it!!

It's about as believable as the pope's infallibility.

At least the refs on FIFA never get piss easy offside decisions wrong.

Feel sorry for referees on the offside rule. FIFA have fucked that up so much with different interpretations every year or two which must piss off the refs as much as the players and the fans.

There was nowt wrong with it as it was. It's been bastardised from a fair fight where defenders could have it down to an art-form to a complete lottery as to whether you risk a player not interfering with play later down the line. There's no skill left in defending as a unit when you have to be able to see into the future collectively in order to make a footballing decision.

It amazes me every time another season rolls around without reverting back to the cut and dry rule it was in the past.....what can the people in the game possibly want it left like this for?

Perhaps it makes it easier to throw games ;)

still should make it a gap between the defender/opposition player, offside calls for someones leg/shoulder being just offside are stupid

Spot on tbh. I never get annoyed by stupidly marginally incorrect 'offside decisions anyway. It's not what the rule is designed to guard against so I don't see why people go as mental as they do over it.

It amazes me every time another season rolls around without reverting back to the cut and dry rule it was in the past.....what can the people in the game possibly want it left like this for?

More goals, apparently.

Heard some of those Platini comments last night on SSN and couldn't help but laugh.

His basic theory as seen above is that if goal line tech was brought in, it could lead to too much technology being brought into the game.

Absolute nonsense. Goal line tech is a huge thing and it says it all when seemingly everyone but the men at the very top (Blatter and Platini) are for it. I hate the way these men have opinions that hold so much weight and power.

Heard some of those Platini comments last night on SSN and couldn't help but laugh.

His basic theory as seen above is that if goal line tech was brought in, it could lead to too much technology being brought into the game.

Absolute nonsense. Goal line tech is a huge thing and it says it all when seemingly everyone but the men at the very top (Blatter and Platini) are for it. I hate the way these men have opinions that hold so much weight and power.

That's the whole point of politics though, once you get to the top, your opinion has weight and power.

It wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if Platini's position is influenced by lobbying from 'The Association of French Referees' worried about modernisation destroying jobs.

these incidents give people stuff to get worked up about, and they're usually very amusing as long as it doesn't happen to your team. 

That's genuinely the basis of your reasoning?

This won't stop the dodgy tackles, offside decisions, officiating mistakes, diving etc that goes in the game. They'll still be plenty of stuff for people to get worked up about, don't worry about that.

Not being awarded a goal that crossed the line is ridiculous in all honesty and defending it because it "gives people stuff to get worked up about" is a pretty lightweight argument if you ask me.

Edited by Tecato

More goals, apparently.

That's what I'd heard too.....they don't outlaw goalkeepers though......or restrict the defending team to having no more than 6 men behind the ball at any one time or anything else just as stupid.

They brought the "actively involved" rule into the game in 2008? Has it resulted in particularly more goals? I might produce a chart in my lunch hour to check :lol:

They brought the "actively involved" rule into the game in 2008? Has it resulted in particularly more goals? I might produce a chart in my lunch hour to check ;)

Once since the rule change has the number of goals exceeded the range set in the years before the change....by just one tenth of a goal per game.

Total goals:

01/02 - 1001 - 2.63 per game

02/03 - 1000 - 2.63

03/04 - 1012 - 2.66

04/05 - 975 - 2.56

05/06 - 944 - 2.48

06/07 - 931 - 2.45

07/08 - 1002 - 2.63

08/09 - 942 - 2.47

09/10 - 1053 - 2.77

10/11 - 237 - 2.63

It's a daft rule.