The Reserves Thread

adios

I don't know if any of my fellow foreign Keeganites feel the same, but I would certainly appreciate those of you who get to the reserves games updating us after a match on how the up and coming youngsters are getting on if any of you are willing to post about it in this thread.

I don't know if any of my fellow foreign Keeganites feel the same, but I would certainly appreciate those of you who get to the reserves games updating us after a match on how the up and coming youngsters are getting on if any of you are willing to post about it in this thread.

Yeah i think thats a good idea. Also if the mods are reading, i wonder if you can sort out a player rating thread after each game. One of the users from another forum does it after each game and it gets a lot of debate going plus lets those know who missed the game how all the players did.

Didnt someone on here post match ratings after listening to the game on radio once ?? ;)

at least once aye, I was holding my tongue on my opinion of match ratings in general :wank:

damien20duff63386805449.jpg

Didnt someone on here post match ratings after listening to the game on radio once ?? ;)

at least once aye, I was holding my tongue on my opinion of match ratings in general :wank:

damien20duff63386805449.jpg

Match ratings are a waste of time for a place like this (imo). Every players performance gets discussed inside out anyway so sticking a little number there as well seems pointless.

• 8 months later...

JOHN Carver is confident Newcastle United won’t miss out on another Michael Carrick – because they now have an Academy that can compete with Manchester United and the rest of English football’s big guns.

For so long the North East’s poor relation in terms of producing young talent, United have turned over a new leaf when it comes to spotting and developing players through their Benton Academy.

Millions of pounds have been poured into bringing it up to speed in the Mike Ashley era, as part of the owner’s plan to make the club more self-sufficient.

The graduation of Andy Carroll and Tim Krul has been the first sign of that shifting culture – with recent progress on the development front emphasised by the debuts of Sammy Ameobi, Shane Ferguson and Mehdi Abeid this year.

As a former Academy director, Carver is well placed to comment on the strides made behind-the-scenes – and reckons the set-up is poised to make Tyneside one of the most attractive destinations in the country for young players.

The club now have a full-time scouting analyst in their Academy collating the thousands of scouting reports that United commission every season, allowing them to handpick the best up-and-coming talent from the North East and beyond.

It is the sort of set-up that Carver believes will ensure there will never be a repeat of the snub suffered when Michael Carrick turned down United for West Ham – simply because there was no “pathway” to the first team.

“I think you can see the change in culture at the club,” the United assistant boss said. “We now have a person in our Academy doing the same thing that our senior scouting team does.

“They’re looking for young talent just as we’re looking for players to buy – they’re doing that full-time.

“At the young level, the most important thing when you’re scouting is you look after your own area.

“It feels if we’re going in the right direction there but it’s also about whether we can be competitive further afield. There’s no reason why we can’t compete with Manchester United, Arsenal and the rest. Why can’t we attract top young players? We’ve got great facilities, coaches and set-up. If you do that you might just get a step on Manchester United.”

It hasn’t always been that way, with United suffering for a rapid turnover of staff – and taking a while to recover from the decision to scrap the reserve team during the Entertainers era.

“I think the reason why we’ve had a problem since then is because we’ve had so many people in charge of the Academy,” Carver said.

“It’s never been that we’re not bothered with it, we just haven’t had the continuity. We haven’t had people to see a certain development programme through. When Kevin Keegan was the manager we did away with the reserve team. I was with the centre of excellence at the time and that period was difficult for this football club because we had no reserve team.

“We lost Michael Carrick because of it. His parents asked ‘Where’s he going to play John’.

“I said the first team and they told me to come off it. We had the Entertainers so he was never going to get in there. So they took him to West Ham.

“Now the kids are seeing the young Ameobi coming through, Haris Vuckic, who’s been in the system a long time. Shane Ferguson is the same.

“I think the encouraging thing for the football club is that the young players are coming through. And there’s a pathway for them now, which there maybe wasn’t when the club was spending a lot of money on new players.

“The culture is changing. The manager has said he will play them if they’re good enough – look at Fergie with Stoke. The size of Fergie against Stoke of all teams – yet he still had the confidence in him to do the job.”

Meanwhile, Yohan Cabaye was taken off with a suspected ankle injury in France’s match against Albania last night.

Meanwhile, Yohan Cabaye was taken off with a suspected ankle injury in France’s match against Albania last night.

...shit

Maybe not:

mattspiro

@mattspiro

Had a chat with Cabaye after France game. Doesnt seem to worry about ankle injury. Cant stop saying positive things about Newcastle!

...shit

Maybe not:

mattspiro

@mattspiro

Had a chat with Cabaye after France game. Doesnt seem to worry about ankle injury. Cant stop saying positive things about Newcastle!

Phew!