The Three Peaks Challenge

Toonraider

Well a year later than planned...but my son, his mate and 2 cousins are planning to do the Three Peaks this weekend. Hubby is the driver and I'm the food organiser!! We leave for Ben Nevis on Friday, camp the night and the boys set off at 6am. And I am still worried :rolleyes: The weather forecast is not bad, cooler than here at the moment thank goodness, but showery. Hopefully I will be back on Sunday, proud of them all and will post some photos!

Good luck to him! Canny challenge, but a safe one I'm sure (need to take care on Ben Nevis summit though).

Has he done much training?

Thanks Renton. No he's done NO training at all!! He says his postal round involves 5 hours a day of up hills and steps 5/6 days a week and it's training enough!! He is fit and doesnt smoke. One of his cousins plays football, the other runs marathons but smokes and is asthmatic and his mate is also a postie but does alot of training, he is in his late 40's but probably fitter than them all! Plus he has done the Three Peaks before. But I am concerned, especially if it's hot. My son is more worried about the strain on his knees going downhill though.

Recommend 2 walking poles as being very useful later on for those with dodgy knees, especially downhill.

It's a mind over matter thing as much as fitness. The people I did it with were varying range of fitness (including me who was in a savage phase of partying every weekend at the time), it was stubborn mental strength that got us in in time - and the fact the group remained mostly cohesive. Never let the back most walker spend too long on their own, particularly toward the end.

Good luck to them TR!

Edited by trophyshy

Thanks Renton. No he's done NO training at all!! He says his postal round involves 5 hours a day of up hills and steps 5/6 days a week and it's training enough!! He is fit and doesnt smoke. One of his cousins plays football, the other runs marathons but smokes and is asthmatic and his mate is also a postie but does alot of training, he is in his late 40's but probably fitter than them all! Plus he has done the Three Peaks before. But I am concerned, especially if it's hot. My son is more worried about the strain on his knees going downhill though.

Must admit my legs knacked after descending Ben Nevis. The worst that will happen is that he won't complete. I'll be impressed if he does actually as these hills aren't your Devon hillocks. Good luck anyway!

Recommend 2 walking poles as being very useful later on for those with dodgy knees, especially downhill.

It's a mind over matter thing as much as fitness. The people I did it with were varying range of fitness (including me who was in a savage phase of partying every weekend at the time), it was stubborn mental strength that got us in in time - and the fact the group remained mostly cohesive. Never let the back most walker spend too long on their own, particularly toward the end.

Good luck to them TR!

That sounds like excellent advice Trophyshy, I will pass that on to my son. He does have one walking pole, but will grab another before we go.

Must admit my legs knacked after descending Ben Nevis. The worst that will happen is that he won't complete. I'll be impressed if he does actually as these hills aren't your Devon hillocks. Good luck anyway!

:lol: Thanks Renton

• 2 weeks later...

Well they did it last weekend in 23 hours and 40mins. :steamtrain: My son, a work mate and my nephew, I cannot describe to you what a bloody exhausting weekend we all had, and I didnt climb the mountains either!! Those of you on my FB have probably seen some of the photos, the weather was terrible! I have to dash off now but will put some pics on here later.

Btw, what routes did they take?

I'm guessing Nevis - tourist path, Scafell pike - borrowdale, Snowdon - pyg path or miners?

Nevis (in 5 hours, 15 mins in torrential rain and zero visibility)! Scafell Pike- starting at Wasdale Head, longer drive to there with a steeper, harder climb but shorter distance...amazing climb in heavy rain and mist..3 hours, 45 mins. Snowdon, Miners path...supposed to be the easier one but they found it surprisingly hard. Path coming back down very scarey and almost impossible, in heavy rain again!

Well done Bev's son! 20 mins left was cutting it fine mind!

oh and thanks!...yes cutting it fine, not their climb times but our van is not that fast and not easy to manoevure on some of the bloody tracks our Sat Nav took us! I thought several times we were going to die!! Brakes were playing up too, the master cylinder went, lucky hubby can really drive else we'd not have made it at all!