The Three Peaks Challenge

Toonraider

My son and 3 of his mates are planning on doing this in July. They are hoping to complete the three peaks in the 24 hours....they're all pretty fit posties so hopefully all will go as planned.

I was just wandering if anyone on here had done this and if so, what were your experiences?

Done it and loved it. Get plenty of hill walking in first. They maybe posties but walking a pavement is different to the Pyg track at Snowdon.

Remeber the 5 P's. Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

Get maps, plan routes over and over so youre not wasting too much time map reading. Also make sure one of them can use a compass. Weather can turn quickly on them.

Have a dedicated driver, not a walker.

Eat correctly. Hyrdrate Correctly.

Have spare socks, lots of them.

Done it and loved it. Get plenty of hill walking in first. They maybe posties but walking a pavement is different to the Pyg track at Snowdon.

Get maps, plan routes over and over so youre not wasting too much time map reading. Also make sure one of them can use a compass. Weather can turn quickly on them.

Mucho thanks, all advice thankfully received by worried mum and passed on to No 1 son :lol:

What you say about having a dedicated driver makes sense to my hubby and me, but they are planning on sharing the driving but I think they are underestimating how knackered they will be especially if its hot weather. My son is a very organised person so i know he'll take all thats necessary. He's just bought the three maps needed.

you need a shit hot dedicated driver/cook/navigator who will do everything but wipe your arse in between mountains. Hot meals and drinks are important, as are very rapid changeovers. Also helps if your driver is prepared to slightly break motorway speed limits. This individual can be the difference between success and failure.

People will string out on the mountain because they need to walk at their own pace, this needs to be managed by someone once people start getting tired - i.e. if there are split points in the track people should either have agreed the route or agree to stop and wait at these points - vital in bad weather.

I've done it twice, once as crippled walker and once as driver.

Oh and I wouldn't do too much wandering either. :lol:

you need a shit hot dedicated driver/cook/navigator who will do everything but wipe your arse in between mountains. Hot meals and drinks are important, as are very rapid changeovers. Also helps if your driver is prepared to slightly break motorway speed limits. This individual can be the difference between success and failure.

People will string out on the mountain because they need to walk at their own pace, this needs to be managed by someone once people start getting tired - i.e. if there are split points in the track people should either have agreed the route or agree to stop and wait at these points - vital in bad weather.

I've done it twice, once as crippled walker and once as driver.

Oh and I wouldn't do too much wandering either. :lol:

Spot on.

They wont be thinking about the food etc that the driver is also there for. Whilst their going on the hills he/she is also their contact incase anything goes wrong. They can make food, go get supplies whilst they are slogging up and down.

Wasnt meant to do this last year but didnt come off, might be this year. We did do the hadrians wall walk which is a different kind of approach and its not so much up and down but 20 mile still takes it out on your feet more than anything. As said, lots of socks and also pack some compede (like, each person take a couple of packs). Hydration is important and Id recommend using a Camelbak rather than carry bottled water.

Not much different tbf, from my experience. That path is practically a staircase.

I've never done it because I don't think it would be very enjoyable, which is the only reason I want to walk on the hills really. I guess he's doing it for a chaity TR? Anyway, best of luck to him, if he's fit and has done some preparation he should be fine.

One of my colleagues has done the Lakeland marathon, which entails clinbing the 4 big peaks (over 3000 feet - Sca fell, Scafell pike, Helvellyn, and Skiddaw) and running between them (total 48 miles iirc), all in under 24 hours. He did it in 18, the mad bastard. There's another race called the Bob Graham round which has to be done in under 24 hours and is 63 miles, with 27,000 feet of ascent. I met a girl who had missed out on it by 6 minutes. It would take me at least a week I reckon.

Not much different tbf, from my experience. That path is practically a staircase.

I've never done it because I don't think it would be very enjoyable, which is the only reason I want to walk on the hills really. I guess he's doing it for a chaity TR? Anyway, best of luck to him, if he's fit and has done some preparation he should be fine.

One of my colleagues has done the Lakeland marathon, which entails clinbing the 4 big peaks (over 3000 feet - Sca fell, Scafell pike, Helvellyn, and Skiddaw) and running between them (total 48 miles iirc), all in under 24 hours. He did it in 18, the mad bastard. There's another race called the Bob Graham round which has to be done in under 24 hours and is 63 miles, with 27,000 feet of ascent. I met a girl who had missed out on it by 6 minutes. It would take me at least a week I reckon.

The Bob Graham is 42 Peaks in 24h. One of the guys that did it, a chap called Billy Blad (from the Bland Sports Shop Family) has the record of 13h, he said it was that easy he walked it in 22h!

A bloke did 77 Peaks in 23(ish)h. Amazing feat.

The Bob Graham is 42 Peaks in 24h. One of the guys that did it, a chap called Billy Blad (from the Bland Sports Shop Family) has the record of 13h, he said it was that easy he walked it in 22h!

A bloke did 77 Peaks in 23(ish)h. Amazing feet.

FYP :jesuswept:

A bloke did 77 Peaks in 23(ish)h. Amazing feet.

FYP :jesuswept:

;)

Thanks all so much, much food for thought there I rekon. No 1 son will have a read later I'm sure. (he's an occassional lurker :jesuswept: ) I definitely agree like you've suggested, that they need a dedicated driver and like one of you pointed out he/she is their contact too.

Must admit I'm now more worried about it all than I was before! :lol: I was kinda hoping you'd all say it was a piece of piss!! ;)

Nearly a page in and no one's offered to do the two peaks challenge with TR. Oh well, it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.....

:jesuswept: Bastard, I was going to post that.

It sounds obvious, but they need to be totally confident of navigating and moving over steep ground on the dark.

They'll be doing at least one of the three out of daylight hours.

eg. Starting Ben Nevis just after midnight, Scafell in daylight, Snowdon start in the evening, descending in the dark.

Ben Nevis is the toughest and most likely to have bad weather so start there and get off to an early start

Scafell Pike is bastard for the last mile but not too dangerous and the route is pretty clear

Snowden is a doddle

Ben Nevis is the toughest and most likely to have bad weather so start there and get off to an early start

Scafell Pike is bastard for the last mile but not too dangerous and the route is pretty clear

Snowden is a doddle

Aye if you catch the train up it!

When you are knackered they are all hard, more so in the dark. We did Snowdon last in the dark and it was certainly no picnic. If I was to do it again I would climb the first mountain in the dark and the second two in dayllght as suggested by Fist.

Edited by trophyshy

Nearly a page in and no one's offered to do the two peaks challenge with TR. Oh well, it's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.....

;) Bastard, I was going to post that.

:lol:

I suppose with the word 'peaks' in the title it was just too much to ask for you all to ignore the obvious ;)

Well thanks everyone, no 1 son read this thread last night. I expect he will post later. Im glad you all mentioned about needing a driver cos I think thats sinking in! I cant remember what order theyre doing it in (though I've been told 3 times) :blush: But I think they will get to Ben Nevis which of course is a long drive from here. Then they'll camp overnight and start fresh and early next morning.

I suppose with the word 'peaks' in the title it was just too much to ask for you all to ignore the obvious ;)

Well thanks everyone, no 1 son read this thread last night. I expect he will post later. Im glad you all mentioned about needing a driver cos I think thats sinking in! I cant remember what order theyre doing it in (though I've been told 3 times) :blush: But I think they will get to Ben Nevis which of course is a long drive from here. Then they'll camp overnight and start fresh and early next morning.

They're not doing it in 24 hours?

They're not doing it in 24 hours?

Oh yeah thats the plan. What I mean is they will travel up to the area the day before, so they will be fresh the next day to start. Torbay is bloody hours away!