DHL Self Employed

ToonKev

Hi all,

Got a phone call today from DHL saying there holding interviews for courier drivers in my area, Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, I think it is 65p a parcel, Have to use own car etc. Is it worth while?

Guest Marshall-Barnes
Hi all,

Got a phone call today from DHL saying there holding interviews for courier drivers in my area, Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, I think it is 65p a parcel, Have to use own car etc. Is it worth while?

65p a parcel - so you need to deliver 100 parcels for £65. :lol: That could take 20 working hours alone. Even then you're banking on 12 minutes between drops non stop for 20 hours.

Hi all,

65p a parcel - so you need to deliver 100 parcels for £65. :lol: That could take 20 working hours alone. Even then you're banking on 12 minutes between drops non stop for 20 hours.

True mate, They say they can drop parcels off at your home then you will need to sort and deliver them before 9.00 p.m

Guest Marshall-Barnes
Hi all,

True mate, They say they can drop parcels off at your home then you will need to sort and deliver them before 9.00 p.m

£65 for at the very least 20 hours work, and you have your petrol to take off that. What a piss take, you should say do I look fuckin Polish?

Its not a bad way to make a bit extra money. As far as I know (London) its mainly a a part time thing, and they also only pay the 65p for bigger parcels. Unsigned deliveries 40p signed 50p so make sure you know what you are getting into.

It should be a no risk deal - you are self employed so you can just walk away if it doesn't work, though some companies will try and charge you for the route.

Shoot me a PM if you want

Hi all,

£65 for at the very least 20 hours work, and you have your petrol to take off that. What a piss take, you should say do I look fuckin Polish?

That's not really how it works, you should be able to do 10 - 15 per hour - they will be grouped close together, often multiple deliveries to one address. I had drivers doing over 200/day in the run to Christmas

Has anyone seen the 'That's Logistics' (That's Amore) advert? They must have forgotten the stage in the chain where your parcel ends up in ToonKev's living room for some reason. :lol: (I realise thats UPS btw)

Joking aside though Kev, sounds like it could be worth looking into provided you can get drops like Spongebob mentions-and he seems to know what he's talking about-so worth bending his ear some more.

Theres a fella in north shields who delivers for one of these companies and it's class cos whenever you aren't in to sign for it, rather than it going back to the depot he just takes it to his house and puts his mobile number through the door. So I never have to drive to gateshead to pick stiff up cos he only lives half a mile away. I guess he's probably doing it on a self employed basis and maximizing his signed deliveries.

So if you do decide to try it, do that, especially if the depot is miles away. People will love you for it.

My old man used to do it for next directory and made around £300-£400 per week (70p per parcel) and he was always finished work by noon. Whenever I stood in for him it would take me until about 9pm to finish the round. In other words, the first month or so will be tough but once you learn the area and arrange the parcel drop order it's a doddle. He did used to get paid for collecting unwanted parcels too though, so sometimes he'd drop one off and pick one up at the same time. Don't know if the same goes for DHL.

Theres a fella in north shields who delivers for one of these companies and it's class cos whenever you aren't in to sign for it, rather than it going back to the depot he just takes it to his house and puts his mobile number through the door. So I never have to drive to gateshead to pick stiff up cos he only lives half a mile away. I guess he's probably doing it on a self employed basis and maximizing his signed deliveries.

So if you do decide to try it, do that, especially if the depot is miles away. People will love you for it.

:lol:

That won't pay the bills though will it you mad bastard :lol:

Think I will go to the interview and the see what happens, That way I can get a better idea if I will actually make any money doing this, Because I live more than 4 miles away from the local depot I will have to go and collect the parcels to be delivered, Not sure if this is better as I won't be waiting about from them to dropped off to me, I don't have any courier experience but they said that doesn't matter.

Think I will go to the interview and the see what happens, That way I can get a better idea if I will actually make any money doing this, Because I live more than 4 miles away from the local depot I will have to go and collect the parcels to be delivered, Not sure if this is better as I won't be waiting about from them to dropped off to me, I don't have any courier experience but they said that doesn't matter.

These are the basics

You need to ask them what is the minimum number of parcels per night - you dont want to drive over there to be be given 10 parcels.

Also you really want to be doing the same area every night - avoid being one of the nuggets who gets the sweep ie all the crap parcels nobody else wants which are hard to find and are miles apart. If you hear the phrase its a different place every time so you dont get bored you being taken for a mug

You should also try and find out how big an area you will be meant to cover - they break the areas down by portions of postcodes - you need to avoid posh areas where the houses are miles apart and have names not numbers which you cant see in the dark. you also need to avoid tower blocks and dodgy estates obv. Ideally you want a area with a high density of terraced/semis in a block of residential streets, avoiding main roads where its a twatter to park and anything with a high shop ratio

Good luck

These are the basics

You need to ask them what is the minimum number of parcels per night - you dont want to drive over there to be be given 10 parcels.

Also you really want to be doing the same area every night - avoid being one of the nuggets who gets the sweep ie all the crap parcels nobody else wants which are hard to find and are miles apart. If you hear the phrase its a different place every time so you dont get bored you being taken for a mug

You should also try and find out how big an area you will be meant to cover - they break the areas down by portions of postcodes - you need to avoid posh areas where the houses are miles apart and have names not numbers which you cant see in the dark. you also need to avoid tower blocks and dodgy estates obv. Ideally you want a area with a high density of terraced/semis in a block of residential streets, avoiding main roads where its a twatter to park and anything with a high shop ratio

Good luck

Every scenario you mention to avoid will be the ones he'd get I'd imagine, the cream will be left for their permanent staff so they're more productive i.e they get value for money from their employees.

These are the basics

Good luck

Every scenario you mention to avoid will be the ones he'd get I'd imagine, the cream will be left for their permanent staff so they're more productive i.e they get value for money from their employees.

You get very few non self employed drivers working out of hours - it just isn't viable to employ people to do it. The vast majority of multi drop companies don't employ drivers at any point, much more cost effective to use self employed owner drivers,small man and van companies or franchise routes out.

Employed drivers just won't/don't put the graft in to make it worth the expense of employing them

Its always hard to get a good day route but it's not a bad time to get in for evenings now because a load of the people doing it over Christmas leave at this point because theyve made their money over Xmas, and can't be arsed doing it at the lower volumes, so he might get lucky and find a decent spot.

A mate of mine ordered a parcel but wasn't in when it was delivered. He got one of those cards, which stated that the parcel was not on, under, or next to, but "IN the grey bin" (i.e. the wheelie bin, which was out for collection that day and had been duly emptied).

He went to the post office to enquire, thinking there was a mistake, that surely the postman hadn't put it in the bin due to be emptied.

"Where do you live again?" (mate gives him address) "oh no, he's done it again (shouts to back of post office) He's done it again! Sorry mate, it's Mad Mick, we've got a bit of a problem with him at the moment"

Turns out this postie had been chucking people's parcels into bins with abandon for the last couple of months. :lol: