An incident at Bolton game

henda11

It's amazing how many people are just casually racist in the ground and no cunt says anything. The bloke next to me, I get on really, really well with him most of the time, but he'll say something like "team full of darkies these we'll beat them", and I'll go "you can't say that nowadays man".

While it's laudible that you say something to him I don't think you'll change his mind with that argument, tbh. If anything someone of that mindset might even look upon you as quietly condoning it, even though I appreciate you arn't.

The phrase "(Insert racist view), of course you can't say that nowerdays..." has become something of a nudge, nudge, wink, wink terminology for casual racists. This isn't helped by the way in which fossils like the one you're describing are drip fed hatemongering stories by the tabloids on a daily basis, telling them that their views are quietly acceptable but that they're to keep shtum in public in case they fall victim to undisclosed "PC" pressure groups , probably operating from "Brussels".

It's difficult to get them to understand the true reasoning behind why they shouldn't hold such views and why such views should never have been acceptable at any time. It's even more difficult when you're trying to convince a stranger at a football match and uncomfortable in the extreme when its coming from some kindly looking old grandfather figure instead of some EDL, flag waving moron.

Telling them they're racist or falling out with them doesn't help either, that will often just turn them into self-pitying martyrs.

I'm not sure what you'll be able to do to change this bloke's opinions, other than perhaps explaining to him why his views make you uncomfortable, which might at least get him to think about why he still harbours them himself.

what tabloid are you referring to here, and are you saying "PC pressure groups" are a figment of the imagination ?

Racism comes in many forms, not least of which are those who settle into a country and fail to adapt to it expecting laws and traditions to be changed to suit them, and even worse actively shun, demonstrate and preach death to those who are defending the very liberty that they came here for.

Someone saying "darky" is just childish mind but I wouldn't take it to heart to any serious degree especially when a lot of black people still refer to us as "honkies". No big deal.

Edited by LeazesMag

The point I was making in my post (in reference to the bloke next to me, who was mouthing off at Best), was that he was monumentally thick. Ie he spent 45 minutes thinking Barton had been sent off and presumably the 45 minutes prior to that thinking that Ryan Taylor was actually Joey Barton. I find it less troublesome* when tit ends like that come out with racism because the link with being a borderline retard/massive ignorance levels generally is clearly visible. It's when you get intelligent people coming out with racism I find massively disturbing.

*I realise from Leon Best's point of view, racism from the stands is racism from the stands, whoever it is.

Guest LeazesLad
It's amazing how many people are just casually racist in the ground and no cunt says anything. The bloke next to me, I get on really, really well with him most of the time, but he'll say something like "team full of darkies these we'll beat them", and I'll go "you can't say that nowadays man".

While it's laudible that you say something to him I don't think you'll change his mind with that argument, tbh. If anything someone of that mindset might even look upon you as quietly condoning it, even though I appreciate you arn't.

The phrase "(Insert racist view), of course you can't say that nowerdays..." has become something of a nudge, nudge, wink, wink terminology for casual racists. This isn't helped by the way in which fossils like the one you're describing are drip fed hatemongering stories by the tabloids on a daily basis, telling them that their views are quietly acceptable but that they're to keep shtum in public in case they fall victim to undisclosed "PC" pressure groups, probably operating from "Brussels".

It's difficult to get them to understand the true reasoning behind why they shouldn't hold such views and why such views should never have been acceptable at any time. It's even more difficult when you're trying to convince a stranger at a football match and uncomfortable in the extreme when its coming from some kindly looking old grandfather figure instead of some EDL, flag waving moron.

Telling them they're racist or falling out with them doesn't help either, that will often just turn them into self-pitying martyrs.

I'm not sure what you'll be able to do to change this bloke's opinions, other than perhaps explaining to him why his views make you uncomfortable, which might at least get him to think about why he still harbours them himself.

I think if you're from somewhere like Dunston like he is, you very much have a village mentality, everyone knows each other, everyones related to each other, and it's just become standard practise. It's the same with Italy to a greater extent, racism has become acceptable in football grounds there through ignorance. By me saying "nowadays" wasn't condoning it I was trying to get him to see that when he was growing up using racist terminology wasn't the taboo it is today, and also I questioned why he used it, "whey man they're everywhere", I was like so. Older people are often to set in their ways to change.

The phrase "(Insert racist view), of course you can't say that nowerdays..." has become something of a nudge, nudge, wink, wink terminology for casual racists. This isn't helped by the way in which fossils like the one you're describing are drip fed hatemongering stories by the tabloids on a daily basis, telling them that their views are quietly acceptable but that they're to keep shtum in public in case they fall victim to undisclosed "PC" pressure groups, probably operating from "Brussels".

I think if you're from somewhere like Dunston like he is, you very much have a village mentality, everyone knows each other, everyones related to each other, and it's just become standard practise. It's the same with Italy to a greater extent, racism has become acceptable in football grounds there through ignorance. By me saying "nowadays" wasn't condoning it I was trying to get him to see that when he was growing up using racist terminology wasn't the taboo it is today, and also I questioned why he used it, "whey man they're everywhere", I was like so. Older people are often to set in their ways to change.

Yeah, I completley understand you wern't condoning it, mate.

I was just pointing out that, sadly, many of the people you describe tend to miss the point of why its considered wrong to be racist "nowerdays", i.e. not because of some "PC brigade", as they often refer to it, but simply because the majority of people are better eductated "nowerdays" than they were back then (despite the best efforts of our fearmongering tabloid press) and so can understand and despise racism as the ignorance it is.

Like I say though, its a good thing that you openly questioned his remarks, that tends to make people think more than simply getting them thrown out on the sly would do; that only adds fuel to the persecution complex of people who think that "you can't say anything these days".

It's far better that these closed minded people learn that actually, they can say what they like, but that most right minded people will think they're a pleb and be prepared to call them out if they make stupid remarks like the one you heard. :rolleyes:

Edited by MichaelNUFC

It's amazing how many people are just casually racist in the ground and no cunt says anything.

Absolutely.

Up until last year, there was on old couple used to sit in front of me. If I ever got animated I used to try and keep the swearing down a bit, as on the odd occasion I went too far I'd normally get a clip off the old woman. :rolleyes:

Anyway, in that game a couple of seasons ago when Martins picked that bird up and took it off the pitch, she spins round, casual as fuck, and announces loudly:

'That's brilliant, isn't it? He's picked that skill up from years of having to chase his dinner about in the sand.'

Everyone around us chuckled, possibly in disbelief. Then nothing else was said.

Not sure what the reaction would have been if that had been a young lad after a few pints that had said that, mind.

It's amazing how many people are just casually racist in the ground and no cunt says anything.

Absolutely.

Up until last year, there was on old couple used to sit in front of me. If I ever got animated I used to try and keep the swearing down a bit, as on the odd occasion I went too far I'd normally get a clip off the old woman. :rolleyes:

Anyway, in that game a couple of seasons ago when Martins picked that bird up and took it off the pitch, she spins round, casual as fuck, and announces loudly:

'That's brilliant, isn't it? He's picked that skill up from years of having to chase his dinner about in the sand.'

Everyone around us chuckled, possibly in disbelief. Then nothing else was said.

Not sure what the reaction would have been if that had been a young lad after a few pints that had said that, mind.

Silly old cow. It would have been a Jungle !!!! that's a joke btw

Edited by Toonpack

The thing is even the racists don't believe they're racist, a lad on my facebook posted a status about some racist tosh and i quote one of the comments he wrote on the status was "I'm not racist, i just divn't like the black bastards" :rolleyes:

I wept a little inside knowing i had this person on my friends list...

I think the racism argument is very interesting when it comes to football and Generations. I think personally that some people can be let off with racism and some cant. Fairly young lads like myself have no right to be racist. Been brought up in a society which does not alow it, simple as that. However, you must also remember that a lot of people who go to the games have been brought up collecting gollywogs and the like. Racism was casual and people got much less offended. It must be extremley difficult for these people to try and change the way they have been brought up and spent the majority of their lives.

Now obviously if they are actively being racist, like part of the BNP etc they should be shot with shit, but the odd slip of the tongue, I don't know whether some people over react to this somewhat

nothing wrong with the BNP........i voted for them.....

*IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST*

I regularly go to the local park and have a drink with my fellow BNP members, wonderful people. We keep the neighborhoods safe from immigration and blacks; all it takes is 30 of us with some golf clubs and cricket bats and you see respect and dignity returning to our broken society.

*IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST* *IRONIC POST**IRONIC POST*

Yeah, I completley understand you wern't condoning it, mate.

I was just pointing out that, sadly, many of the people you describe tend to miss the point of why its considered wrong to be racist "nowerdays", i.e. not because of some "PC brigade", as they often refer to it, but simply because the majority of people are better eductated "nowerdays" than they were back then (despite the best efforts of our fearmongering tabloid press) and so can understand and despise racism as the ignorance it is.

Like I say though, its a good thing that you openly questioned his remarks, that tends to make people think more than simply getting them thrown out on the sly would do; that only adds fuel to the persecution complex of people who think that "you can't say anything these days".

It's far better that these closed minded people learn that actually, they can say what they like, but that most right minded people will think they're a pleb and be prepared to call them out if they make stupid remarks like the one you heard. :rolleyes:

hmmm.....while most "right minded educated people" think that its OK for people to come into the country, demand laws and traditions are changed to suit them, and it's OK for them to heckle and shout for death to the people defending the liberty they came here for, because they have a "right to freedom of speech".

It's amazing how many people don't respond to this, which is why I've posted it again, ie particularly the "right minded educated ones". There is a massive difference between this and someone calling someone else a "darky" or a "honky" under their breath, which generally by comparison is harmless bollocks.