Fanzines

LeazesMag

I bought the Mag from when it first came out, there was a couple of others as well which have gone the journey like Black & White and read all over, Toon Army News, (which was more of a viz type humour based fanzine) and Talk of the Toon. They were a real breath of fresh air at the time and maybe people don't realise how little news there was about NUFC at the time. You had the Chronicle, sunday sun, journal and a bit on Look North if you were lucky and there was nowhere that got into discussions about NUFC that a fanzine could.

I still get the Mag and True Faith but admit I'm not as arsed on them at the minute, although TF does have the odd good bit of piss take info that comes in regarding other clubs and used to have a few retro pieces of games from the past which were great to read. I've done the very odd bit of writing for both in the past.

I bought the Mag from when it first came out, there was a couple of others as well which have gone the journey like Black & White and read all over, Toon Army News, (which was more of a viz type humour based fanzine) and Talk of the Toon. They were a real breath of fresh air at the time and maybe people don't realise how little news there was about NUFC at the time. You had the Chronicle, sunday sun, journal and a bit on Look North if you were lucky and there was nowhere that got into discussions about NUFC that a fanzine could.

I still get the Mag and True Faith but admit I'm not as arsed on them at the minute, although TF does have the odd good bit of piss take info that comes in regarding other clubs and used to have a few retro pieces of games from the past which were great to read. []b I've done the very odd bit of writing for both in the past.[/b]

same here, I wrote for quite a while and got it [Edit, The Mag not True Faith] for free and used to read it on the train coming up for games.

Haven't bought it since I moved back to Newcastle though. I've seen one of the new ones, I might get it but am not really that bothered.

I was looking at True Faith in morrisons yesterday and tbh it is the same rag it always was, a cross between the Beano, a student rag and Melody Maker. I often wonder why they have to portray the "alternative" view the way they do, like a student rag.

The old "talk of the toon" is the one I liked the best though.

Edited by LeazesMag

I still get the Mag and True Faith but admit I'm not as arsed on them at the minute, although TF does have the odd good bit of piss take info that comes in regarding other clubs and used to have a few retro pieces of games from the past which were great to read. I've done the very odd bit of writing for both in the past.

Aye. Pulitzer in the post to Walkerville as we speak :lol:

Used to know Jensen wen he first started doing/selling The Mag and he seemed a good lad.....not seen him years though and from what I've read on here about him and the supporters club/trust it seems its all gone tho his head a bit. Havent read any of them in years tbh, as CT says t'internet has in a way superceded the fanzines, which is a shame in a way as they were truly a huge breath of fresh air in the 80s when as you say coverage was a bit thin on the ground. One of the Mag's writers Billy Furious has written a couple of good books, the one about the 93 promotion season is excellent.

I liked 'A Mag For All Season' (the promotion one) but the follow-up was a bit weak imo.

first one was good, 2nd one is in my "not read yet" pile.

I liked 'A Mag For All Season' (the promotion one) but the follow-up was a bit weak imo.

Because he's a canny writer it's ok and readable enough (and funny in parts) but it just seemed a bit pointless, whereas AMFAS was much more obviously written with a lot of passion and it's about a more momentous time in the clubs history etc.

Because he's a canny writer it's ok and readable enough (and funny in parts) but it just seemed a bit pointless, whereas AMFAS was much more obviously written with a lot of passion and it's about a more momentous time in the clubs history etc.

just trying to cash in? who can blame him.

I loaned the first one to a Leeds supporter in Scarborough, who quite liked it too.

Edited by LeazesMag

Used to know Jensen wen he first started doing/selling The Mag and he seemed a good lad.....not seen him years though and from what I've read on here about him and the supporters club/trust it seems its all gone tho his head a bit. Havent read any of them in years tbh, as CT says t'internet has in a way superceded the fanzines, which is a shame in a way as they were truly a huge breath of fresh air in the 80s when as you say coverage was a bit thin on the ground. One of the Mag's writers Billy Furious has written a couple of good books, the one about the 93 promotion season is excellent.

Why you cheeky.......

To be honest, the last thing I done for TF was edited where he put in a sentence here and there which was the editors patter and not mine which I didn't really think was right as it was my name on the piece. Haven't been tempted to do one since. Used to do the odd bit for TOTT when it was out and it was a canny read. Some of TF's bits on music/trainers etc leave me cold I have to agree with LM there. Toon Army News could be funny as fuck but you had to have a certain type of humour.

I guessed a long while back that a certain poster on another forum and very ocassional poster on here wrote for The Mag. His writing style gave him away. Also got another lad from another forum right as well by his style. Stevie's not the only detective on here. :lol:

I guessed a long while back that a certain poster on another forum and very ocassional poster on here wrote for The Mag. His writing style gave him away. Also got another lad from another forum right as well by his style. Stevie's not the only detective on here. :lol:

not me :icon_lol: My "article style" is totally different to my "message board style". Having said that, its only when I talk about the old regime I get into that certain "style".

:lol:

Edit.

Although I think I know who you mean as he stole my old "Leazes" avatar for the fanzine page......

Edited by LeazesMag

Why you cheeky.......

To be honest, the last thing I done for TF was edited where he put in a sentence here and there which was the editors patter and not mine which I didn't really think was right as it was my name on the piece. Haven't been tempted to do one since. Used to do the odd bit for TOTT when it was out and it was a canny read. Some of TF's bits on music/trainers etc leave me cold I have to agree with LM there. Toon Army News could be funny as fuck but you had to have a certain type of humour.

Mark never edited any of my articles, I wouldn't have liked it if he did. There was the odd typo though.

As I've said on here before, I have every edition of The Mag and T-F. Sad, but true. Some I read, some I just put straight on the shelf - due to having them 'all', I'm loathed to stop buying them!!

Half Mag Half Biscuit was another I used to buy, as well as Talk of The Toon.

As I've said on here before, I have every edition of The Mag and T-F. Sad, but true. Some I read, some I just put straight on the shelf - due to having them 'all', I'm loathed to stop buying them!!

Half Mag Half Biscuit was another I used to buy, as well as Talk of The Toon.

Totally forgotten about that one. Was a canny read.

Where Leazes is concerned, no it wasn't you.

One of the Mag's writers Billy Furious has written a couple of good books, the one about the 93 promotion season is excellent.

Kris (Billy Furious) has pulled the pin, not renewed for next season, sold everything and his heading around the world with his missus.

billyfurious.com for anyone interested in his adventures.

Edited by sammynb