DVD recorders

LeazesMag

any recommendations ?

And how much does a blank DVD copy, if you are going to copy 3 hour Videos onto disks ???

Also, mp3 players for the missus, nowt too elaborate, just decent ?

The cheapest DVD recorder will cost you about £70, I saw one recently in ASDA for £68, can't say it was a brand I recognise but it seemed a good price, personally I think you get what you pay for and I'd try and go for a recognised brand.

As for how much you can record, that depends on what kind of quality you what, at 100% top quality you may only get around an hour or so on a standard 4.7gig disc, however if you sacrifice a bit you can get around 2 hours or more.

any recommendations ?

And how much does a blank DVD copy, if you are going to copy 3 hour Videos onto disks ???

Also, mp3 players for the missus, nowt too elaborate, just decent ?

68651[/snapback]

LM, where to begin???

DVD recorders come in two different formats, DVD-R this is the most common and the Philips design. Then there is DVD+R, the Sony designed version so they didn't have to pay royalties to Philips.

Generally most new DVD players will play both but if you have or are providing DVDs for someone that has an older (2 years or more) DVD player this is where the trouble starts. If they have a sony it won't play burnt DVD-R.

So it's best to make sure you by a dual recorder (one that records to either DVD format). As for how long you get on a DVD, the highest quality record will give you only an hour, the next (SQ) will give you just over 2 hours and the next 2 record settings will give you 4 and 6 hours but don't expect to enjoy watching the pixulated picture.

Lastly if you actually can afford it you are better off buying a hard disk based DVD recorder. Firstly as you can record a lot more, direct to the hard disk and then burn your DVDs without having to worry if it is longer than 2 hours.

Hope that helps.

Dual-layers (8.5 gigs instead of 4.7 gigs per disc) are starting to become popular, don't forget to look into them.

68697[/snapback]

Only problem there is a standard player won't play them, so it's fine as long as you don't want to give copies to others.

Dual-layers (8.5 gigs instead of 4.7 gigs per disc) are starting to become popular, don't forget to look into them.

68697[/snapback]

Only problem there is a standard player won't play them, so it's fine as long as you don't want to give copies to others.

68702[/snapback]

Great choice isn't it? Buy without and it'll be obselete sooner!

But remember the double layer recorders are compatible (reading and recording) with the older single layers (usually both plus and minus at this point), double layer discs are still ridiculously priced anyway, but if it's an option get the double layered just to future proof it, saves you some money when your mate lends you his double layered copy in a years time.

PS: Where's your Christmas avatar! :lol:

Edited by DotBum

68697[/snapback]

68702[/snapback]

But remember the double layer recorders are compatible (reading and recording) with the older single layers (usually both plus and minus at this point), double layer discs are still ridiculously priced anyway, but if it's an option get the double layered just to future proof it, saves you some money when your mate lends you his double layered copy in a years time.

68704[/snapback]

Not good with christmas at the moment :huh:

I was having a conversation with someone who works for Sony broadcast and they are about 6 months away from releasing a DVD based system that allows a disk to hold 800GB! No I'm not joking, it's all in the writing allegedly.

So in 6 months the dual layers system will be obsolete and once again they will superseded something we spent a fortune on because it was the latest technology.

Not good with christmas at the moment :lol:

Santa raped your cat, didn't he?

I was having a conversation with someone who works for Sony broadcast and they are about 6 months away from releasing a DVD based system that allows a disk to hold 800GB! No I'm not joking, it's all in the writing allegedly.

So in 6 months the dual layers system will be obsolete and once again they will superseded something we spent a fortune on because it was the latest technology.

68705[/snapback]

Sounds like a lot, but you know we'll be bitching about how small it is in a year, I'm sticking to floppy disks.

That kind of leap in space sounds more like compression algorithms than the writing itself but I've heard nothing about it so I don't really know.

68697[/snapback]

68702[/snapback]

68704[/snapback]

Not good with christmas at the moment :huh:

68705[/snapback]

Blu ray? They'll come in 50GB discs initially. I think theres a few crossed wires. I think Sony said theoretically they could make 800GB discs but I imagine that will be a long way off. Its all heading for another betamax vs vhs situation. There'll be two new types of player coming along (they're already here but expensive) Blu ray and HD DVD. HD DVD has a lower capacity of 30GB but has the advantage that it will play old DVD's and the manufacturing processes is the same. Blu ray players wont (unless they have some kind of dual drive) and as its a different tech the manuafacturing plants have to be built from scratch with no doubt all the extra cost being passed onto the customer. Toshiba is the major backer of HD-DVD and Sony Blu ray. Im hoping HD-DVD wins out just because I'm sick of Sony doing this type of shit with everything, they always have to have their own format rather than going with a standard.

Apparently it's Iomega who have the patent, I had a quick read this morning and yes, they would appear to be a bit more than 6 months from the retail market.

Apparently it's Iomega who have the patent, I had a quick read this morning and yes, they would appear to be a bit more than 6 months from the retail market.

68751[/snapback]

Hey you have to remember it was a Sony sales person telling me, so I take no responsibility for the accuracy but you are right I remember the words potentially up to ...

I agree with luckypierre about Sony. In television production we end up with shit equipment becoming the standard because they just flood the market. After the 2000 Olympics it looked like panasonic was going to succeed with DVCPro and then Sony just flooded the stations with fucking Betacam SX - 10:1 compression whereas Pro 50 is SD or Digital Betacam quality.

On the domestic level though they are almost broke, so who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add a note to this thread.

Got a Philips recorder for me Christmas.

The recording on 6 hour set-up seems okay to me. Whether this is because I'm on cable I don't know, but the recorded picture is pretty good.

Now to put all me tapes on DVD! :lol:;)

Lastly if you actually can afford it you are better off buying a hard disk based DVD recorder. Firstly as you can record a lot more, direct to the hard disk and then burn your DVDs without having to worry if it is longer than 2 hours.

68696[/snapback]

Got to agree - got meself a nice DVD / Hard Drive Combo Xmas 2004 and have never looked back. Never have to find a tape any more, and have found myself recording more than ever.

Blu ray? They'll come in 50GB discs initially. I think theres a few crossed wires. I think Sony said theoretically they could make 800GB discs but I imagine that will be a long way off. Its all heading for another betamax vs vhs situation. There'll be two new types of player coming along (they're already here but expensive) Blu ray and HD DVD. HD DVD has a lower capacity of 30GB but has the advantage that it will play old DVD's and the manufacturing processes is the same. Blu ray players wont (unless they have some kind of dual drive) and as its a different tech the manuafacturing plants have to be built from scratch with no doubt all the extra cost being passed onto the customer. Toshiba is the major backer of HD-DVD and Sony Blu ray. Im hoping HD-DVD wins out just because I'm sick of Sony doing this type of shit with everything, they always have to have their own format rather than going with a standard.

68749[/snapback]

Its not blu ray, its HVD. Hologram Versatile discs. Can hold up to 1TB (1024GB). THey are atleast 12 months away from release though.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/07/hv...liance_founded/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/24/maxell_holo_storage/

68749[/snapback]

Its not blu ray, its HVD. Hologram Versatile discs. Can hold up to 1TB (1024GB). THey are atleast 12 months away from release though.

75020[/snapback]

Are you sure? I though the PS3 was going to use Blu Ray discs.

68749[/snapback]

75020[/snapback]

Are you sure? I though the PS3 was going to use Blu Ray discs.

75152[/snapback]

Sorry I got my wires crossed a bit. PS3 will be blu ray as this is nowhere near ready yet. HVD is a 3rd system with a theoretical max size of 3.7TB there is a big group working on this and maxell working on a very similar system.This is why i dont think blu-ray will be a success since this is alot bigger and has faster read/write rates.