Can't stop looking at the premiership league table

Flair

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the turnover of our team it's gonna be very difficult to keep pulling out cheap players that can maintain our current position...or within 6 places of it.

Our first team this year is

Krul

Collo

Taylor

Simpson

Raylor

Guti

Cabaye

Tiote

Obertan

Best

Ba

Once Raylor is usurped by Santon I think there's only 3 first team players there who've been at the club 2 years.

The fact this team are where it is for what's been spent is remarkable and commendable, for everyone involved, You can't buy 11 new players every 2 years on our budget and maintain it though, so we're gonna have to start keeping hold of our good performers if we're going to be as happy in another 2 years.

That's what I believe the policy will be, the whole "buy young with resale value" is based upon making sure when you (the club) are ready to move a player on that there is residual value, NOT simply accept the first profit that comes along. I could be proven wrong, but that's my opinion.

Obviously, there are other factors, player power and the draw of Champions league clubs, if you end up with someone who is coveted by one of those, when you are not. Of course there's also the silly money dimension a'la the Carroll.

Given the turnover of our team it's gonna be very difficult to keep pulling out cheap players that can maintain our current position...or within 6 places of it.

Krul

Collo

Taylor

Simpson

Raylor

Guti

Cabaye

Tiote

Obertan

Best

Ba

Once Raylor is usurped by Santon I think there's only 3 first team players there who've been at the club 2 years.

The fact this team are where it is for what's been spent is remarkable and commendable, for everyone involved, You can't buy 11 new players every 2 years on our budget and maintain it though, so we're gonna have to start keeping hold of our good performers if we're going to be as happy in another 2 years.

That's what I believe the policy will be, the whole "buy young with resale value" is based upon making sure when you (the club) are ready to move a player on that there is residual value, NOT simply accept the first profit that comes along. I could be proven wrong, but that's my opinion.

Obviously, there are other factors, player power and the draw of Champions league clubs, if you end up with someone who is coveted by one of those, when you are not. Of course there's also the silly money dimension a'la the Carroll.

I hope so. But not buying it at the moment.

As it stands, selling a young player like Enrique to (non-champions league) Liverpool in the most recent window doesn't suggest it's possible, whether or not it's what they'd like to start doing.

Krul

Collo

Taylor

Simpson

Raylor

Guti

Cabaye

Tiote

Obertan

Best

Ba

I hope so. But not buying it at the moment.

As it stands, selling a young player like Enrique to (non-champions league) Liverpool in the most recent window doesn't suggest it's possible, whether or not it's what they'd like to start doing.

Enrique held all the cards though, last year of contract and he fancied a change/wanted away. They can't let that happen going forward. Colo will be an interesting one.

Enrique held all the cards though, last year of contract and he fancied a change/wanted away. They can't let that happen going forward. Colo will be an interesting one.

Absolutley. And that's why I don't think they can pull it off.

It's simple enough to have a policy and tell everyone about it.

My mates policy is to only have his cock sucked by huge tittied under 25's with perfect skin and legs that don't stop. This policy is rather hindered by him being an ugly twat that no woman in her right mind would go near.

My policy is to not take a job for less than £100k and more than 25 hours a week, unfortunately my qualifications mean that adhering to the policy has left me unemployed.

Our policies of a low wage cap, low transfer fees, selling at profit, retaining our best young players, and finishing in the top ten are fundamentally opposed to one another. The first 3 take priority over the last 2.

My mates policy is to only have his cock sucked by huge tittied under 25's with perfect skin and legs that don't stop. This policy is rather hindered by him being an ugly twat that no woman in her right mind would go near.

My policy is to not take a job for less than £100k and more than 25 hours a week, unfortunately my qualifications mean that adhering to the policy has left me unemployed.

Our policies of a low wage cap, low transfer fees, selling at profit, retaining our best young players, and finishing in the top ten are fundamentally opposed to one another. The first 3 take priority over the last 2.

I wonder how low our wage bill (and average wage) actually is in comparison to others. I haven't a clue. Modric was twisting because he was only (only !!!!) on £40k/week at Spurs, speaking of which, Spurs have been doing, for years, all the things we have stated is our policy, with some success I would suggest.

I thought the quote was "with resale value", that's a much different thing to "profit", although given the way clubs amorticise (sp?) transfers, a profit is often made when a fee's involved, we made just shy of £5 million profit on Enrique.

Leazes read through the thread and see who's consistently begging for me to express my opinion. It's a good indicator of who has the obsession.

still obsessed.

Once again, you butted into a discussion I was having with someone else ?

Is there any end to your self-denial ?

:icon_lol:

I wonder how low our wage bill (and average wage) actually is in comparison to others. I haven't a clue. Modric was twisting because he was only (only !!!!) on £40k/week at Spurs, speaking of which, Spurs have been doing, for years, all the things we have stated is our policy, with some success I would suggest.

I thought the quote was "with resale value", that's a much different thing to "profit", although given the way clubs amorticise (sp?) transfers, a profit is often made when a fee's involved, we made just shy of £5 million profit on Enrique.

how many times did Spurs finish above us and better our revenues before your man Ashley bought the club ?

I don't expect a reply to this, as usual.

how many times did Spurs finish above us and better our revenues before your man Ashley bought the club ?

Could you confirm the Nolan/Barton answer please.

Also clarify why you believe I think Hall/Shep should have sold for what they paid for the club. ?? Gan on.

Don't think there's any comparison with spurs. Can't check just now but I'd guess their first team cost at least double ours.

Don't think there's any comparison with spurs. Can't check just now but I'd guess their first team cost at least double ours.

But they have no/minimal debt (what they have, was for training centre improvements), have a team (I'll take your word for it, sounds about right) costing twice as much as ours, have had less turnover than us for long periods (according to LM but I haven't checked), yet have turned profits totalling £68 Million (ish - off the top of my head from last time I added it up) since around 2005.

How does that work ;)

Edited by Toonpack

But they have no/minimal debt (what they have, was for training centre improvements), have a team (I'll take your word for it, sounds about right) costing twice as much as ours, have had less turnover than us for long periods (according to LM but I haven't checked), yet have turned profits totalling £68 Million (ish - off the top of my head from last time I added it up) since around 2005.

How does that work ;)

We'll not be able to match them unless we're willing to match their spending on the first 11. It starts and ends there.

if you really think the last 2 transfer windows have actually strengthened the team, and gave soundbites to the rest of the football world including our own best players that we are a progressive club aiming for success, I really don't know what to say to you.

Can you explain why you think the previous season's squad is stronger than the current one is?

Is the 'keeper?

Is the right back?

Is the , etc etc etc.

As you state it to be fact, it should be something you can definitively answer.

If you state that Carroll, Nolan, Enrique and Barton were our best players, is it reasonable to say that despite losing our previously top-rated players, we've now replaced them with a better squad? Ba-Best is better than Carroll-Ameobi... Barton/Nolan/Tiote/Jonas are certainly a poorer midfield than Obertan/Cabaye/Tiote/Jonas, if only for balance and no other reason.

Leazes, you state these things as fact but wont back them up, so please, again, will you tell me why you think this squad is weaker than the previous one?

:ninja:

he won't recognise the meaning of that.

if you really think the last 2 transfer windows have actually strengthened the team, and gave soundbites to the rest of the football world including our own best players that we are a progressive club aiming for success, I really don't know what to say to you.

Can you explain why you think the previous season's squad is stronger than the current one is?

Is the 'keeper?

Is the right back?

Is the , etc etc etc.

As you state it to be fact, it should be something you can definitively answer.

If you state that Carroll, Nolan, Enrique and Barton were our best players, is it reasonable to say that despite losing our previously top-rated players, we've now replaced them with a better squad? Ba-Best is better than Carroll-Ameobi... Barton/Nolan/Tiote/Jonas are certainly a poorer midfield than Obertan/Cabaye/Tiote/Jonas, if only for balance and no other reason.

Leazes, you state these things as fact but wont back them up, so please, again, will you tell me why you think this squad is weaker than the previous one?

there is more to football than a "man to man" comparison.

And for starters, some of the best current players will be gone within the next 18 months to 2 years too, just like the best players from 18 months to 2 years ago have gone now.

I made a post months ago about the spirit of the team, and the fact that Nolan and Barton in particular were the driving force behind it. I said that it is highly likely we could start the current season with a more mobile team in the first half dozen games or so which would fool the idiots into thinking it had been a good window

Unfortunately, there are over 30 games left, in all sorts of conditions etc. We will see. I stand by my view. As always. And unlike some other certain grey men and assorted cretins, I'm prepared to actually give an opinion, stick by it, and admit that I am wrong if that proves to be the case.

But I won't be. The club is in decline.

Edited by LeazesMag

Could you confirm the Nolan/Barton answer please.

Also clarify why you believe I think Hall/Shep should have sold for what they paid for the club. ?? Gan on.

I think my post deserves some of your red highlighted reply, as do many others, starting with a graph showing league positions and turnover to reflect your claim that "we have been doing it like spurs", when in the real world, we were doing it vastly superior to Spurs for the majority of the 15 years between 1992 and 2007.

The club is in decline.

Whilst it's not what you want of course, I get the impression that it at least suits your agenda and gives you plentiful ammunition to feel smug on the internet.

of course, paying 1350 quid to want the team to lose. How much have you paid ? Or people like Toonpack, mancmag, Gloomy and Gejon :jesuswept: not to mention yourself.

Numerous tosspots have accused me of this, on NO particularly, but the irony is that none or very few of them go to games anymore to support their man, while I still do ? Understand ?

By the way, you can answer the post in full, and I'm quite prepared, and have, put forward all the points I make on here to people face to face.

Edited by LeazesMag

there is more to football than a "man to man" comparison.

And for starters, some of the best current players will be gone within the next 18 months to 2 years too, just like the best players from 18 months to 2 years ago have gone now.

I made a post months ago about the spirit of the team, and the fact that Nolan and Barton in particular were the driving force behind it. I said that it is highly likely we could start the current season with a more mobile team in the first half dozen games or so which would fool the idiots into thinking it had been a good window

Unfortunately, there are over 30 games left, in all sorts of conditions etc. We will see. I stand by my view. As always. And unlike some other certain grey men and assorted cretins, I'm prepared to actually give an opinion, stick by it, and admit that I am wrong if that proves to be the case.

But I won't be. The club is in decline.

I absolutely agree there's more to the club than a man - to - man comparison, which is why I not only mentioned player by player comparison, but also the groups and the team as a whole. You're yet to say why you think it's weaker though. This may seem pedantic, but given your insistence people give their views, it seems reasonable to expect you to do the same. As yet you've stated it's weaker, but given no evidence for your statement so I'll ask it again why do you think we're weaker and what is the evidence to back up your belief?

You mention the spirit of the team and I agree that Nolan and Barton were instrumental in the camaraderie that was evident in the Championship season and the 1st season back. However, we have not played the pre-season, nor the first 7 games without spirit.I would suggest that, in fact, the performances have been driven more by secure tactical drilling and defensive strength. The spirit which you speak of is important, but I have seen no evidence of it's disappearance and would challenge you to prove your argument.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last paragraph.

How does that work ;)

We'll not be able to match them unless we're willing to match their spending on the first 11. It starts and ends there.

Maybe we will, over time, becasue all the things we appear to be doing (which cannot conceivably work) thay have done for years.

Maybe we will, over time, becasue all the things we appear to be doing (which cannot conceivably work) thay have done for years.

"All the things"?

It's difficult to attribute cause and effect when there's so many variables. West Brom have kept costs down, invested in cheap but solid players that can do a job, turned a profit etc. I've not seen anything to indicate we'll push on any more than them.

More informative than what you say we're TRYING to emulate about Spurs is what we aren't.

We've spent less than £30m on our first 11. They've spent £70m+.

We sell players under contract that want to leave (Carroll, Enrique). They keep hold of them (Modric).

They market the club to top quality, paying advertisers (attracted primarily by the quality on the pitch rather than any signs plastered on the wall showing "potential") that add to revenue. We cheapen the brand more and more every week with Sports Direct signs replacing those of paying advertisers at an increasing rate.

Edited by Happy Face

"All the things"?

It's difficult to attribute cause and effect when there's so many variables. West Brom have kept costs down, invested in cheap but solid players that can do a job, turned a profit etc. I've not seen anything to indicate we'll push on any more than them.

More informative than what you say we're TRYING to emulate about Spurs is what we aren't.

We sell players under contract that want to leave (Carroll, Enrique). They keep hold of them (Modric).

They market the club to top quality, paying advertisers (attracted primarily by the quality on the pitch rather than any signs plastered on the wall showing "potential") that add to revenue. We cheapen the brand more and more every week with Sports Direct signs replacing those of paying advertisers at an increasing rate.

if Toonpack says we are doing things like Spurs then he's the expert....shame he doesn't respond to my question asking him how many times we did things better than Spurs in terms of league positions and revenues between 1992 and 2007, his selective points only begin when his man actually took over the club.

"All the things"?

if Toonpack says we are doing things like Spurs then he's the expert....shame he doesn't respond to my question asking him how many times we did things better than Spurs in terms of league positions and revenues between 1992 and 2007, his selective points only begin when his man actually took over the club.

Probably cos there's no point talking about shit from 20 years ago.

"All the things"?

Aye, you're absolutely spot on again. The Spurs comparison only holds up to a (very limited) point. There's arguably a lot more differences than similarities between us and the way in which we're ran.

Probably cos there's no point talking about shit from 20 years ago.

No! We must talk about it it's important.

We need the same four or five people to bring up the same subject in every single thread so that we can see who's obsessed and who was right. It's very important to the majority of the boards readership. Who cares what the thread's called, deep down it's really about Freddie Shepherd and Mike Ashley.

:nufc: