Who's had the easiest start?

Happy Face

The one thing I would say about Chelsea next week is, while they're now well capable of losing games they used to win, the reason they're at the top still is because they still win plenty of games too. ie they don't seem to draw this season, it's either win or loss because their belief/resilience isn't the same. If you let them beat you they will, if you take the game to them you've got a chance. Bit like the way Arsenal went when they went into decline, only not as attractive to watch. Tiote back for this might really be the difference.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is that the more pessimistic among you have got to me, if Chelsea are still not clicking I can see them coming in with a massive offer for Tiote. I fucking hope not but you can the logic when they are looking a bit light in the middle and taking arguably our best player makes financial sense if it gets rid of any threat of us taking one of the top places (however daft that my sound, AvB has already referred to us as one f their competitors) Tiote being missing is worrying me as it has echoes of Carroll going missing before he was sold. Hope am just being paranoid.

Does anyone now think we can come higher than 7th? I don't want to get carried away but looking at the current form and the run of games after Chelsea it's a bit hard not to.

As HF said, it's all up to the fat fuckwit whether we can compete or not.

It would be a complete idiot to disrupt a team that's so driven and gelling well, but I fear Colo will be sold in Jan and not be adequately replaced (or at all). It'd leave us severely lacking at the back and on course for an unspectacular mid table finish.

It would certainly be a statement of intent to bring a couple of players in and give him a new contract.

Hopefully he'll realise the added funds that a potential european place would bring.

Not like we've spent a fortune on big name signings to enjoy such a brilliant season thus far; our squad is worth absolute peanuts compared to the rest of the top 6!

Seriously, :nufc: mode aside this could be a defining season for us. No doubt there may be potential investors interested in our progress and infrastructure. Should we keep a hold of the likes of captain Colo and Tiote, who are integral to the on field success then we must surely look like an attractive prospect for anyone willing to run a competitive yet financially viable sport franchise. Whilst Cartman has made plenty of mistakes as our owner, he has stabilised the ship significantly and we're nowhere near as likely to be plunged into the financial mire than a good number of teams in the league.

The thing is that the more pessimistic among you have got to me, if Chelsea are still not clicking I can see them coming in with a massive offer for Tiote. I fucking hope not but you can the logic when they are looking a bit light in the middle and taking arguably our best player makes financial sense if it gets rid of any threat of us taking one of the top places (however daft that my sound, AvB has already referred to us as one f their competitors) Tiote being missing is worrying me as it has echoes of Carroll going missing before he was sold. Hope am just being paranoid.

It's as high a chance as 50/50 I'm afraid, and this time Pardew's language is a lot different to what it was in December about Carroll. At least he's being honest, Pardew must be privately pissed off in some regards.

Going to sound massively unpopular for this, but if Tiote goes then it's got to be an exercise in complete and utter pragmatism to find a replacement and it is possible. Tiote looks immense to us (and I love him to bits) but that's because we've never had a midfield enforcer, we're just not used to it as fans. Doesnt mean they don't exist out there though. Again this will sound unpopular but he's not a very good footballer either (in no way a criticism, I'm not asking him to be) but from a pragmatic point of view, what I mean is none of the forward play comes through him-he can't pass forward to save his life and imho should never pass more than five yards-so you don't worry about that aspect of our game being disrupted. You have to approach it as having an eye for a ready made replacement in what is a limited (but highly influential) role. Trying to stay optimistic I want to have faith that we can scout that out now.

I'd be devo'd if he went on an emotional level but on a more forensic level I want to say we would have an idea what to do. We've seen limited players come in and do well in big games to replace him. His value has been absolutely immense and instrumental as a catalyst for that type of harrying football (when we're out of possession) that's serving us so well, but other players can do that too if it's part of the fabric of the collective team mentality. Without getting fixated on personalities, the lesson for me is that we need that 'type' of player in the team. I hope it always is Cheick, but if it's not it can and should be someone else and I hope thats something thats always under constant review amongst the scouts.

Scott Parker is a good example at Spurs btw. He's having a huge impact on their season and he's a bobbins footballer as far as I'm concerned. His role is chasing round like a lunatic for 90 minutes and then laying the ball off two yards for decent footballers to do something with. He has a better timed challenge than Tiote though I'd say (if anything).

If a player as lmited as Scott Parker can do that then we have to be confident we can find someone to do similar if that is a constant and specific scouting remit.

Fortunately there are quite a few players in France who can play that role. I want him to stay because I think he has another level to step up and could be one of the club's greats, he is a seriously good player. I think Stevie is right, 50:50.

Fortunately there are quite a few players in France who can play that role. I want him to stay because I think he has another level to step up and could be one of the club's greats, he is a seriously good player. I think Stevie is right, 50:50.

For what he does (wants to win for the shirt and makes the defence a better unit) he's already on his way there for me. But that's because we've very rarely had a good defence and very rarely have a midfielder who outfights other central midfielders. And the two things are combined iyam, it's no coincidence. I won't let it over sentimentalise my view of his footballing ability though, he's average at best. I mean that as a massively positive statement though, I'm not on a downer-I mean it is one less box to tick if it should ever come to replace him.

I feel I should just re-state. In no way do I want him to be sold :lol: And I also agree with Stevie's assessment of the odds, based on nothing other than a gut feeling combined with a look at Chelsea/Man U's current deficiencies in particular.

Going to sound massively unpopular for this, but if Tiote goes then it's got to be an exercise in complete and utter pragmatism to find a replacement and it is possible. Tiote looks immense to us (and I love him to bits) but that's because we've never had a midfield enforcer,

other than being absolute rubbish, do you THINK that he will go and do you THINK the club will replace him adequately.

Fairly basic questions, for an intelligent chap like you, as you are so intelligent the vast majority of the forum is probably waiting to hear your judgements ?

Or are you going to continue to bore us all rigid with your summary of events after the events, and pretend you're so knowledgeable etc etc etc :icon_lol:

Doesnt mean they don't exist out there though. Again this will sound unpopular but he's not a very good footballer either (in no way a criticism, I'm not asking him to be) but from a pragmatic point of view, what I mean is none of the forward play comes through him-he can't pass forward to save his life and imho should never pass more than five yards-so you don't worry about that aspect of our game being disrupted. You have to approach it as having an eye for a ready made replacement in what is a limited (but highly influential) role. Trying to stay optimistic I want to have faith that we can scout that out now.

what a load of hot air and rubbish.

Edited by LeazesMag

If we lose Tiote then we have to hope that it's early on in the window. I'd hope that Graham Carr has already made a contingency plan, should that be the case.

haha. The club will spend 3 weeks looking for a replacement, only for the "target" to fall through with minutes to spare.

Just how gullible are you, and others like you ?

If we lose Tiote then we have to hope that it's early on in the window. I'd hope that Graham Carr has already made a contingency plan, should that be the case.

haha. The club will spend 3 weeks looking for a replacement, only for the "target" to fall through with minutes to spare.

Just how gullible are you, and others like you ?

What a drunken shambles of a man you are.

Which players have left the club recently that haven't been adequately replaced?

Enrique is the only one that springs to mind.

Edited by alex

He stole it off Robbie Elliott anyway ;)

Robbie Elliott didn't knock 4 past the Mackems ;)

That's why it was special. His chicken dance was rarer than hen's teeth.

No whoosh it was just that he asked the question in complete earnest the other day. Think it must have been one of those moments where you think about something totally straightforward and it just doesn't register at all. Anyway ignore me, I was just being a twat.