Gazza on tv

topcat

His problem was nothing to do with seeing his pal killed

I don't agree with that like. He was 10 years old, it was a younger sibling of one of his mates and he was, at the time, supposed to be 'keeping an eye on him'. Without a doubt that guilt will have have stuck with him for years and will have played some part in his mental state.

My feeling is that the impact it had on his later life is overstated.

I reckon it's more likely understated. Fucking massive burden on his shoulders IMO.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was at the scotland-england game at wembley during euro 96 and watched him run through the middle as the ball went out wide - remember wishing for the ball to be given to anyone but him- when it went to him and i saw he was 1-on-1 with flatfoot hendry i knew we were fukked - was surrounded by englishmen with smiles on their faces (a rare sight) - some fukking finish mind - still my 2nd favourite international goal ever ... and thats all you're getting from this jock!

still sad to see that life can kick the shit out a talent like that - hope he gets all the help needed to make a good fist of getting better

Gazza should have been recognised as the world number 1 footballer in those years after 1990.

Having said that, he played his best football when he was with Newcastle.

Gazza should have been recognised as the world number 1 footballer in those years after 1990.

Having said that, he played his best football when he was with Newcastle.

I don't agree with that. His best football was at Spurs IMO. When he was with us he showed massive potential and it was beginning to show fruition in 87/88 but he was gone before the best of him was seen. 89-91 he was absolutely awesome IYAM.

1990/1991 he was the best player in English football by a mile that was his greatest 12 month. June 90 to May 91.

Couldn't agree more. Easily one of the best players in Europe too.

Rightly or wrongly I put a canny bit of the blame onto Venables for how wound up Gazza was before the '91 Cup Final. He was practically jibbering when he was interviewed after the semi final when he scored that free kick against Arsenal which gave you an insight into how excited he was going to be against Forest. Easier said than done but he shouldn't have been allowed on the pitch in that frame of mind. Also the ref, Roger Milford, should have (at least) booked Gazza for his chest high tackle on Garry Parker. If he'd booked him then he might not have made that ridiculous challenge on Gary Charles a few minutes later. Not that Gazza was entirely without blame, you understand. He was never the same player after that, even if he was still a brilliant footballer.

Aye that match was definitely the turning point in his career. He was class at Rangers but not the same as he had been.

And aye I remember that inteview well - absolutely wired as if he was on something.

The tackle on Parker would have resulted in a red card these days... and probably should have done then as well tbh. Milford was probably trying to avoid a repeat of what happened in the WC semi-final to an extent and also a sending off in a cup final (particularly that early on) would have wrecked it as a contest.