Budget 2012

Christmas Tree

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is without doubt a tory budget. clegg proving yet again he has lost all credibility. the biggest winners are the top 1 per cent of the population who are going to be considerably better off thanks to the cut in the 50p top rate of income tax rate.

clegg's claim that this is a robin hood budget is desparate. his so-called tycoon tax will be forgotten about in no time and the deal on the mansion tax could and should have gone much much further to justify his concession over the 50p rate. proves, as gemmil pointed out, that the man gave up his principles, his party and his supporters at the first whiff of power.

meanwhile the savagely aggressive cuts will continue and whatever way osborne dresses it up, we're still looking at those two extra years of austerity. a lost decade basically. nice one george.

Good stuff from the Guardian here - breaking down each facet of the budget to get to the truth of the matter (which basically amounts to mythbusting the ridiculous Robin Hood budget claims).

One for Chandelier Tits to have a read of.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/s08dJKDoAYVz5iLRAfqL-dQ/view.m?id=15&gid=politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2012/mar/21/budget-2012-all-in-this-together&cat=politics

Good stuff from the Guardian here - breaking down each facet of the budget to get to the truth of the matter -

Before we've even had the budget :rolleyes:

Unbelievable :lol:

it's been trailed since the weekend you man breasted bafoon. there are unlikely to be any big surprises.

Well if you are currently paying tax and are going to be taken out of it altogether.......

Go on

?

The poor is a very broad term. You said they'd get a 10% tax cut, then related it to those who are being lifted out of tax altogether...which is a 100% reduction. I get the impression you don't know what cuts are being given to who.

The way I read it, it's a very narrow band of people who save. Nobody earning less than £620 (the poorest of the working poor) and nobody earning more than £750 a month.

Edited by Happy Face

The poor is a very broad term. You said they'd get a 10% tax cut, then related it to those who are being lifted out of tax altogether...which is a 100% reduction. I get the impression you don't know what cuts are being given to who.

The way I read it, it's a very narrow band of people who save. Nobody earning less than £620 (the poorest of the working poor) and nobody earning more than £750 a month.

Surely there is a sliding scale of poor receiving tax cuts from 10% to 100%.

Wouldnt you agree?

Only CT could view the removal of the 50p rate for top earners and the cut in corporation tax that will fund NHS cuts as a good deal for the poor.

The change in the threshold to £9000 will save anyone earning it £125 a year....£10 a month.

Let them eat cake.

According to my calculations, it will knock over £400 off my tax bill each year. I welcome it!

Only CT could view the removal of the 50p rate for top earners and the cut in corporation tax that will fund NHS cuts as a good deal for the poor.

The change in the threshold to £9000 will save anyone earning it £125 a year....£10 a month.

Let them eat cake.

According to my calculations, it will knock over £400 off my tax bill each year. I welcome it!

I think this is the tax threshold being increased, not the tax allowance.

£6475 - allowance everyone gets, unchanged.

£7445 - Threshold, people that earn less than this pay nothing. Increased to £9k.

If you earn over £9k, you save nothing. Thought your business was paying you a better wage than that ;)

Surely there is a sliding scale of poor receiving tax cuts from 10% to 100%.

Wouldnt you agree?

No.

People that earn between £620 a month and £750 a month get 100% of their tax. No one else saves anything, unless they're in the top band, they get back 10% of it.

Another way to look at it is the effective overall tax rate of someone earning under £9k. with their allowance it comes out between 2% and 5%, so they're getting a 2% to 5% drop on the sliding scale (down to zero).

Those in the top band (where the allowance is so small as to be ineffective) are getting a 5% cut across the board (50% to 45%)...a better deal than the vast majority of the poor.

Edited by Happy Face

No, the tax threshold and allowance is exactly the same thing. Therefore everyone currently gets taxed on all money after their first £7475 per annum - and will be getting taxed only on income over the £9205 soon.

I pay myself a salary of £7475, thus not needing to pay any income tax. I then pay corporation tax on my business profit and can help myself to dividends at any time. It's the way most Ltd company directors do it if they aren't bothered about impressing banks with a high salary. So I will be upping my salary to £9205 with no income tax and my corporation tax should drop as profits will be less.

If you are employed and earn £30,000, you will only be taxed on £20,795 since the £9205 is the new allowance/threshold

aye..but you should still also benefit £300-£400 per annum even on PAYE :)

Yeah, I just meant i'm glad i don't have to do the sums.

Point stil stands for CT though. Anyone earning less than £7.5k is no better off and EVERYONE above it is. The allowance is such a small amount for Wayne Rooney as to be insignificant, so he gets his rate of tax slashed when no-one else does.

Poorest - £0 - £7.5k

No better off.

Middle earners - £7.5k - £150k

£0 - £400 better off

Top earners - £150k to whatever

£400 - huge sums better off (like a top flight footballer on £10m a year, will be £500k better off)

How much more can you do to help people earning under £9k?

None more black. Those on 9k-20k could get a hand rather than those over £150k though.

Still, at least it'll be a bit easier to encourage Europes top players to the club :)

Edited by Happy Face