Anti-football nonsense

Flair

My problem with this "Letting the ref know you've been fouled" thing is; if the foul hasn't impeded your progress, why go down?

Young was round the Villa player and could have taken a shot on, or laid it off, instead he chose to go to ground to get a penalty and hoping to get the Villa player booked. He was also past Derry and needn't fall over other than to get Derry sent off and "win" a penalty. Carroll tried to get Krul sent off and win a penalty, yet if he'd stayed on his feet he had an open goal.

Since when is contact a bad thing? If it's not impeding your progress and you go down, that's your choice and not a foul. If you are impeded in your progress and are taken down, then it's the opposition's choice. If merely making contact with another player is a foul, then young should have been carded for kicking Clark.

I agree with Stan Collymore (fuck me, I never thought I'd say that), players who dive should be retrospectively punished. 1 match for the first offence, 3 for the second and 8 after that. They'll soon learn.

I agree with The Fish (fuck me, I never thought I'd say that).

Diving has been rife in football for ages. This has happened because players are not punished for it and has now developed into the farcial situation where the sport is essentially non contact inside the area. Look at Ashley Young - he gets Derry sent off, the appeal is rejected and he goes unpunished, so what does he do? Goes down quicker than a whore's knickers the following week again.

I don't know what Craig is on about that retrospective bans would set dangerous precendents. There is a world of difference between diving - an active effort to simulate an offence - and claiming a dubious goal/corner/throw in where you are trying to convince the referee to believe something that has already happened.

And for fuck's sake, if by some remote possiblity chaos did reign you could always revoke the law, but something needs to be done. It's like watching WWF these days the amount of play acting goes on, not to mention the consequences for the teams who are cheated out of points/cup ties.

Aye the FA's "there was contact, it doesn't matter how much" stance is ludicrous. They should have made a statement with the Derry incident. It would have put Man U noses out of joint, but tough shit. Young's movement at the weekend was totally unnatural. He sent his foot on an arc, searching for contact with the defender's leg. If you look for contact, you'll find it nearly every time. And if the FA say any contact counts, then football is fucked.

Edited by Gemmill

Seems weird it being a week before the season is finished too. I know it was last year but it's not right. How long before it's a Sunday or a Monday night k.o.?

Aye there's a lunchtime televised premiership fixture on that day. Presumably the broadcaster wouldn't he happy with their pre match build up viewing figures being diluted, hence the teatime KO.