Interest free credit

ajax_andy

Never done this before so just wondering how you pay it back.

If it's 10 months interest free credit do you basically not pay anything back for 10 months then everything with no interest added... or do you have to still make monthly payments?

Never done this before so just wondering how you pay it back.

If it's 10 months interest free credit do you basically not pay anything back for 10 months then everything with no interest added... or do you have to still make monthly payments?

Depends on the company. Some like Argos you dont pay it back until 10 months, however stray a day past 10 months and you'll pay loads of interest.

Other companies it is 10 equal payments.

Guest CabayeAye

It's worth doing. It means the money is in your bank account collecting interest rather than theirs. As long as you either have the money already or know you have a stable income to guarantee you won't miss a repayment.

If you already have the money, stick it in an ISA and take it from there monthly to repay the Direct Debit via your current account.

It's worth doing. It means the money is in your bank account collecting interest rather than theirs. As long as you either have the money already or know you have a stable income to guarantee you won't miss a repayment.

If you already have the money, stick it in an ISA and take it from there monthly to repay the Direct Debit via your current account.

However most interest free is is simply a marketing tool and the interest is added to the price first. Most smaller companies will therefore give you a discount if you pay cash.

It's for camera gear for my photography business... I don't have the cash in my account, however I do have a sizable overdraft that £180 month for instance can come out of with the aim of business coming in at a rate that means hopefully I don't have to dive too far in to it and get hit with large interest charges on that.

It'll probably save me money doing it this way as opposed to maxing out the overdraft and paying that off bit by bit.

Think I'll do it using the 10 month interest free... seems to make sense

Guest CabayeAye

However most interest free is is simply a marketing tool and the interest is added to the price first. Most smaller companies will therefore give you a discount if you pay cash.

That's right. Although some companies offer 0% across the board. This makes it worthwhile using on individually discounted items.

I credit card shuffle like a mo-fo.

Not paid any interest in years.

Season Tickets are interest free with Barclaycard with no time limit. I've been using that beauty for over 10 years now.

My last 16 month interest free on Santander Zero paid for an engagement ring but ends on the 31st so I've just got the Tesco deal which is another 16 months....that'll cover the honeymoon interest free.

You just have to be strict. Know when the deeal runs out, set up a monthly Direct Debit for enough to cover it, and pay it back like a loan without spending any more on it. Monthly spendiong should go on another card you pay in full each month to avoid any interest accruing in the first place.

The Santander 123 cards are mint too by the way.

1, 2 & 3 % cashback on all your utility bills, council tax, mobile phone etc when you pay by direct debit

1, 2 & 3 % cashback on all your shopping, petrol, pubs and restaurants when you pay by credit card.

I tend to find it pays back much more than the average points based cards.

The fiddle is there's no VAT on "hire purchase" in various forms so they pocket 20% of the price.

The fiddle is there's no VAT on "hire purchase" in various forms so they pocket 20% of the price.

Not sure about that but if TV shop owner buys a TV at cost for £500 he would normally then double the price and sell it for £1000.

When interest free became poplular he would simply put the price up to cover the cost of the credit (say £200) and sell it to people for £1200 interest free.

DFS do it every day.

A lot of companies would actually charge you more if you didn't take the interest free credit option as the finance contract would usually be longer than the interest free period and would be with a third party, who would in turn pay the seller the cash upfront plus a commission for sending business their way. The lenders then packaged them up and sold them wholesale. Something tells me that will not be going on as much these days.

Guest CabayeAye

I dont buy white hoods with my money though

Stop calling me racist. I am not racist. It's not funny to band allegations about like that.

Not cool.