These five marines

luckyluke

What happened?!

As far as I can tell they did not follow 'the rules of engagement' - whatever they are - and an Afghan insurgent ended up dead. Does that mean they shot an insurgent who had already surrendered? Was it a mistake or a result of nervousness in a tense situation?

Or was it a case of something more sinister - the fact it arose from something civilian police found on laptop of one the soldiers is a bit concerning, as is that so many are implicated. have tremendous appreciation for the armed forces and the work they do (even if I don't always agree with why they're doing it), but there have been incidents in throughout history where soldiers, like anybody else, abuse the power that they have and perform malicious acts.

In the news today there are reports of shows of support across the country for the marines ("free the five" ribbons etc). With so much unknown about the case I find myself a little uncomfortable with this, of course they are innocent until proven otherwise though.

Do you think the marines should be held to account for what they do (even if it's against the enemy)?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge difference but no one has suggested they have killed an innocent afghan?

That's what I am asking? What is it that makes this victim an insurgent? Why is it being investigated if its one of many insurgents killed?

Iirc they were filmed querying whether to give him medical treatment and decided against it, letting him die. I assume it was a civilian if they've been done for it. Rightly so

Again every news outlet has reported the victim as an insurgent no one has suggested he was an innocent civilian.

Its matterless whether he was or wasn't tbh. Killing people outside rules of engagement is straight up murder. And thats not even getting into the fact foreign soldiers are trawling their streets shooting people against the natives wishes. People would have summit to say if a load of armed foreigners invaded this country in the name of democracy like